Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Think about this ... Right now, Santana is the Mets SECOND best pitcher ... Nice spot to be in!

Friday night, Citifield - who's pitching? :-D

The Bronx Bombers are hitting!

Pizzaz, did you read the thread title - the part where it says for Mets fans only or are you just one of those entitled but illiterate Yankee fans? question

Wndy, Wendy ... I asked a question about pitching this Friday - I'll be there and you?

Here's a chuckle:

Q: Why do people like driving a car with a Mets fan?
A: Because you can park in the handicap zone!


I would love to be there Pizzaz, Pizzaz but don't have a ticket. Have a spare one to provide me? If so, I take back my disturbing insinuations. ;-)

wendy said:

"ain't holding my breath....... "

Actually we really need to when most of them enter for the save or the hold. I was holding my breath for each one of them last night.


Still holding your breath? Francisco got thisclose to blowing the save and the game.

wharfrat! I was just coming on to post something to that effect. Fortunately I fell asleep (!) after the bottom of the 8th and went onto mets.com before I started watching FastForward on SNY this morning doing my exercise routine. Let's just say that I wouldn't have been able to do my cardio healthily if I didn't know the outcome before I started my step routine. :-(

If the Mets get through the next four weeks and stay in the wild card race, I see a trade for a reliever. The starting pitching has been very good, and I doubt there will be anyone on the market better than what the Mets have (barring an injury to Chris Young, which unfortunately is a pretty high likelihood). The team has been scoring enough runs, and eventually they'll have Tejada back in the lineup, Davis hitting better than his first 2 months, and perhaps Murphy emerging from his slump.

If Murphy starts hitting again, I see the Mets trading him to the AL for bullpen help. And then slotting Valdespin in at 2B.

One more dependable arm via trade, and the return of Beato, and this team could win betwen 85-90 games, which would likely get them a wild card.

otoh, six of the next nine are against the teams with the best records in MLB, so they could be at or below .500 by the All Star Break. but it's good to even be talking postseason possibilities this year near the halfway point. Because this was a team expected to be awful at the start of the year.

Definitely a fun team to watch this year. Each game is edge-of-the-seat stuff, and they seem to always be one concussion or blown arm away from disaster but someone steps up when needed, which is a blast to see as a baseball fan (if also hard on Wendy). I did not expect this at the start of the season, and I am happy for all you long-suffering Mets fans.

I can absolutely see Murphy getting shipped out ... And, as much as I like him, I don't think that it's a bad move ...

70 games in and we're one on the Wild Card teams as of right now ...

Soul_29 said:

I can absolutely see Murphy getting shipped out ... And, as much as I like him, I don't think that it's a bad move ...


I think I agree with you and with ml1's analysis (and as always mfpark's contributions).


I love and respect all of my MOL Mets brethren and sisthren (whatever). That said, I think any of you who thinks a team would give up a GOOD reliever for Daniel Murphy has had a Rheingold or two too many. Just my opinion.

If any of my MOL Mets brethren are not watching this show about the all-time Mets team on SNY right now, you should be.

Jimmy at the Pub has said it and I believe it ... Why the hell are the Mets and the Yankees (or Dodgers/Angels or Cubs/Chisox) EVER both off on the same night ...

Train_of_Thought said:

I love and respect all of my MOL Mets brethren and sisthren (whatever). That said, I think any of you who thinks a team would give up a GOOD reliever for Daniel Murphy has had a Rheingold or two too many. Just my opinion.


Never say never ... Sometimes the scenario makes sense for all involved ... But I'd like a Schaefer!

Train_of_Thought said:

I love and respect all of my MOL Mets brethren and sisthren (whatever). That said, I think any of you who thinks a team would give up a GOOD reliever for Daniel Murphy has had a Rheingold or two too many. Just my opinion.

I never said for only Daniel Murphy. he would be part of a package with a minor leaguer or two, and maybe picking up a chunk of salary.


I have an extra Tom Seaver bobblehead. Anyone have an extra Rusty Staub bobble to trade?

If Murphy is hitting .300+ with a decent OBP he's a good commodity for middle relief/set-up. He's a lot like the guy from Texas, Michael Young. Both are above avg. hitters who don't particularly excel in defense. that's why i think Murph ends up as a DH by the end of the season.

wharfrat said:

If Murphy is hitting .300+ with a decent OBP he's a good commodity for middle relief/set-up. He's a lot like the guy from Texas, Michael Young. Both are above avg. hitters who don't particularly excel in defense. that's why i think Murph ends up as a DH by the end of the season.


This week's Sports Illustrated says Michael Young is the most UNDER-RATED fielder in a poll of MLB players ...

Edited to clarify ... The poll was "Who is the most UNDER-RATED position player?" ...


wharfrat said:

If Murphy is hitting .300+ with a decent OBP he's a good commodity for middle relief/set-up. He's a lot like the guy from Texas, Michael Young. Both are above avg. hitters who don't particularly excel in defense. that's why i think Murph ends up as a DH by the end of the season.

Michael Young is a 7-time All-Star with over 2100 Major League hits and a career .300, who was an every day position player for over 10 years, only really becoming a part-time position/part-time DH last year, in the twilight of his career. So, I'm gonna assume you're only comparing Murphy to the Michael Young of 2011-2012.


ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

I love and respect all of my MOL Mets brethren and sisthren (whatever). That said, I think any of you who thinks a team would give up a GOOD reliever for Daniel Murphy has had a Rheingold or two too many. Just my opinion.

I never said for only Daniel Murphy. he would be part of a package with a minor leaguer or two, and maybe picking up a chunk of salary.


I still only see that garnering a mediocre, journeyman type, at best. I don't recall teams trading quality relief pitchers very often.


sbenois said:

If any of my MOL Mets brethren are not watching this show about the all-time Mets team on SNY right now, you should be.


Unfortunately I only caught the tail end but what Seaver said, mostly about Gil Hodges, made me cry. I assume I will be able to see a re-broadcast.


Just checked that on 6/29 (not sure if there will be an earlier repeat as well) at 7:30 PM “The Mets All-Time Team” will be on. Here's the description. ".......will feature SNY’s own blue ribbon panel discussing the very best Mets players in team history at each position: 1st base, 2nd base, shortstop, 3rd base, left field, center field, right field, lefty and righty starting pitchers, lefty and righty relievers, catcher, and manager. "

Soul_29 said:



This week's Sports Illustrated says Michael Young is the most UNDER-RATED fielder in a poll of MLB players ...

Edited to clarify ... The poll was "Who is the most UNDER-RATED position player?" ...


Train_of_Thought said:

Michael Young is a 7-time All-Star with over 2100 Major League hits and a career .300, who was an every day position player for over 10 years, only really becoming a part-time position/part-time DH last year, in the twilight of his career. So, I'm gonna assume you're only comparing Murphy to the Michael Young of 2011-2012.


http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/y/youngmi02.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/murphda08.shtml

Compare the first three seasons in hitting and fielding to see the point I am making. Both are contact hitters with above avg. power. Each played multiple positions in the field and their fielding stats are about equal. Young like Murphy has had to work at his defensive skills and that is obvious as you see both of their WAR ratings increasing season to season throughout their careers.

Of course it's conjecture to say that Murphy will have a similar career to Young, yet the potential exists.


Murphy blows. No power, can't field.

Saw Mets All Time Team program last night. ** spoiler alert** cheese

Cleon Jones is always so entertaining. Credits Hodges. Nice to see the videos of Jose (miss him), Roger and Carlos (now he is healthy... grrr). And Tug's family. Disappointed no appearance by Piazza, even by video. Seaver very sentimental about Hodges. I believe Hodges and Seaver were both Marines and shared a great respect for discipline and excellence. Seaver couldn't say enough to credit Hodges for everything.

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

I love and respect all of my MOL Mets brethren and sisthren (whatever). That said, I think any of you who thinks a team would give up a GOOD reliever for Daniel Murphy has had a Rheingold or two too many. Just my opinion.

I never said for only Daniel Murphy. he would be part of a package with a minor leaguer or two, and maybe picking up a chunk of salary.


I still only see that garnering a mediocre, journeyman type, at best. I don't recall teams trading quality relief pitchers very often.


A lot depends on where teams are in the standings of course. high priced set up men and closers are expensive luxuries for cellar dwellers. I'd have to do more research to find out if there are any high-priced relievers in the last year of their contracts for bad teams.

"I'd have to do more research to find out if there are any high-priced relievers in the last year of their contracts for bad teams."

Matt Capps on the Twins. Team has option for 2013 @ $6 million.
Grant Balfour from the A's. Team has option for 2013 @ $4.5 million.

Mets should do everything in their power to get whatever they can for Daniel Murphy TONIGHT, while he momentarily looks like he has some minimal value. By Friday, that opportunity will likely be gone.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Real Estate Listings

Advertise here!