Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

All white guys, but in their 30s and 40s. The one realized it was satire after he commented. I thought it was pretty clearly satire. I guess they don't read The Onion.

jfinnegan said:

All white guys, but in their 30s and 40s. The one realized it was satire after he commented. I thought it was pretty clearly satire. I guess they don't read The Onion.

Some people WANT to believe these stories are true. 

I admit I had given up last night.  When Diaz walked in the tie run I turned it off and missed the win.  My real disappointment was with Alonso in the top of the 8th, failing to hit a fly ball with one out and the bases loaded.  Familia was bad, but I'm used to that.   

I think it sucks moving Lugo to the rotation, but I understand that they simply don't have starters.  By the end of the season he will be stretched out to 5 innings.  

Tonight I see as a must win, because I think the Yankees are going to kill us over the next 10 days.

I turned it off as well after Diaz walked in the tying run. Alonso was disappointing, but that's what most of them have been doing all year long. With a runner on 3rd and less than two outs they swing at the first pitch and hit it to 1st or 3rd. Lugo not being able to be used in back-to-back games makes it hard for him to be the closer. Wilson seems to be the one that deserves to be the closer. What's the plan with Matz? He might be ok in relief. He tends to do ok in the 1st inning. 

jfinnegan said:

What's the plan with Matz? He might be ok in relief. He tends to do ok in the 1st inning. 

I wondered about that, because I recalled some early shellings in the past. Last year, for instance, Matz’s first-inning ERA was 6.21, and it was 7.28 the season before that. But so far, so good this season: only one first-inning run in five starts.

Diaz doesn't have the heart to be a closer.  He's a scared kid.  Maybe he'll grow out if it.

FilmCarp said:

I admit I had given up last night.  When Diaz walked in the tie run I turned it off and missed the win.  My real disappointment was with Alonso in the top of the 8th, failing to hit a fly ball with one out and the bases loaded.  Familia was bad, but I'm used to that.   

I think it sucks moving Lugo to the rotation, but I understand that they simply don't have starters.  By the end of the season he will be stretched out to 5 innings.  

Tonight I see as a must win, because I think the Yankees are going to kill us over the next 10 days.

hard to really blame Diaz after it was Betances who gave up a run and left the bases loaded.  Diaz was actually lights out after that first batter.

on another note, there was always something about Thom Brennaman that made me think he was a smarmy douche.  Then there's this:

Reds Announcer Is Suspended After Using Homophobic Slur on Air

And he either quit or was fired mid-game. Don't see that very often.

DaveSchmidt said:

I wondered about that, because I recalled some early shellings in the past. Last year, for instance, Matz’s first-inning ERA was 6.21, and it was 7.28 the season before that. But so far, so good this season: only one first-inning run in five starts.

I had a feeling you were going to check that so I did my research, but I only looked at this year. If there's a way for him to pretend it's the 6th inning then we'll be all set. Matz and Harvey have the same ERA.

ml1 said:

FilmCarp said:

hard to really blame Diaz after it was Betances who gave up a run and left the bases loaded.  Diaz was actually lights out after that first batter.

Certainly I don't only blame Diaz, but he walked a .136 hitter.  Just throw it down the middle.  He has warning track power and he might even miss.

jfinnegan said:

I had a feeling you were going to check that so I did my research, but I only looked at this year.

There’s a frequent poster on the Philadelphia Inquirer website who’s always posting stats, leaning heavily on ERA+ and wRC+. I don’t mean to be that guy, especially as a guest here. Some of your recent comments have just piqued my curiosity.

FilmCarp said:

Certainly I don't only blame Diaz, but he walked a .136 hitter.  Just throw it down the middle.  He has warning track power and he might even miss.

I give Diaz maybe 10% of the blame.  Betances hit the previous batter with the bases loaded, for jeebus sake.

DaveSchmidt said:

There’s a frequent poster on the Philadelphia Inquirer website who’s always posting stats, leaning heavily on ERA+ and wRC+. I don’t mean to be that guy, especially as a guest here. Some of your recent comments have just piqued my curiosity.

stats are always welcome for me.

Me too. The more stats the merrier. FYI, Conforto's game winning homer last night was with a runner on 1st base. I do think there can be overkill at times with the analytics and determining the lineups. I prefer them sticking with a lineup that scored 10 runs the night before instead of putting somebody in because he went 2 for 3 off the starter a year ago.  

I think I've been pretty open with regard to my complete embrace of metrics.  But even I'd be throwing a lot of them out the window this year.  Too many small sample sizes.  The Mets have been facing all these journeyman pitchers, and their hitters may have only four or five previous career ABs against them.  And by the time this year's stats start to have reasonable sample sizes, the season will be over.

Personally I think they have to go with the hot hitter. The season is almost half over. I never thought I would be saying this, but Guillorme should be in every game until he cools off. 

jfinnegan said:

Personally I think they have to go with the hot hitter. The season is almost half over. I never thought I would be saying this, but Guillorme should be in every game until he cools off. 

I think he's for real.  He needed to get some experience, and start playing more often.  And he hit OK in the minors (he actually improved each year).  I don't think he's ever going to be a great hitter, but he'll be adequate.

One of the few players IMO who looks right with the big beard. 

I wish there was a way to get rid of Cano during this undoubtedly short window where he looks effective so that the younger middle infielders can play more.  Unrealistic I know, even with a significant amount of salary swallowing on Mets part.  

Two Mets tested positive. One player and one staff. Hopefully everybody recovers ok. Are they stuck in Miami for two weeks now? MLB's plan all along was questionable. They need to be in a bubble.

Whoops.

A Mets player and a staff member have tested positive for COVID-19. No game tonight.

this is what happens when you travel to Florida

Lugo finally gets his way back into the rotation and.....blammo.

And they were getting to face the Yankees with half their lineup injured and not having to face Cole. The Marlins should have been forced to play all their games on the road.

We don't know yet that this was the Marlins fault.  Whoever got it might have done something stupid entirely on their own.

Well, the Mets sure proved that they are not very good.

I don't know why none of them can hit with runners in scoring position. And how much longer does Rosario get? He's the 3rd best fielding SS they have and at the moment 3rd best hitting as well. 

They're going out of their way to make sure deGrom doesn't win another Cy Young.

jfinnegan said:

They're going out of their way to make sure deGrom doesn't win another Cy Young.

The man has 68 wins in 177 career starts. Lifetime ERA of 2.60. It's a sin.

They should have had Degrom pitch one of the games the day before.  He could have a CG in a 7 inning game.

How often do you see a relief pitcher walk in runs in 2 consecutive appearances.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.