Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Crap!

Mets news: Jacob deGrom is headed back to New York for an MRI. His elbow was “barking” after playing catch today, Mickey Callaway said.

wharfrat said:
Crap!

Mets news: Jacob deGrom is headed back to New York for an MRI. His elbow was “barking” after playing catch today, Mickey Callaway said.

That just sucks. 

Ok, how about an ex-Met?  Jay Bruce is on the Mariners and he already has nine home runs--and a total of 14 hits.  That is a .194 batting average but a .883 OPS.  

At 15-8 the M's are looking pretty good so far, even with Bruce being an HR or bust guy in the middle of the line up.

And how about Alonso?  He killed a low and outside pitch.  Great plate coverage, nice level swing with powerful line drives.  He seems like the real deal.

Train_of_Thought said:

this is why Yankees fans have earned their bad reputation. They act as if they are entitled to every star in MLB. 

ml1 said:
 this is why Yankees fans have earned their bad reputation. They act as if they are entitled to every star in MLB. 

Exactly.  I don't mind the Yankees.  They are a well run organization.  It's just the fans that drive me away.

and isn't every 2 digit uniform number already retired for the Yanks?  Didn't they use them all up after they retired Horace Clarke's number?

there has been a lot of bad stuff so far this season and yet they've gone through a very tough part of the schedule at 11-10 and a game out of first. Sixteen games on the road and sixteen games against teams expected to be contenders in the NL. They need to get a legit fifth starter and the bullpen needs to stop walking guys. If they can do that, I have to believe that the starting pitching is going to get better. 

ml1 said:
there has been a lot of bad stuff so far this season and yet they've gone through a very tough part of the schedule at 11-10 and a game out of first. Sixteen games on the road and sixteen games against teams expected to be contenders in the NL. They need to get a legit fifth starter and the bullpen needs to stop walking guys. If they can do that, I have to believe that the starting pitching is going to get better. 

Usually I'm optimistic, but my glass is half empty.  Starters not as good as hoped, bullpen just plain bad.  Offense will get worse when Frazier returns.

FilmCarp said:

ml1 said:
 Usually I'm optimistic, but my glass is half empty.  Starters not as good as hoped, bullpen just plain bad.  Offense will get worse when Frazier returns.

I hate to agree with this but it is the truth.  With the recent Matz implosion there is not one starter who can be said to be having a consistent year.  And deGrom and Syndergaard have been disturbingly miserable many of their outings--what is going on with them?

The bullpen is bad, but it has to be hard walking into games down a bunch of runs so often.  Of course, they then make it worse, but still....

Will Callahan have the guts to go with the hot hand and sit Frazier more than not?  I hope so.  Meanwhile, Cano seems to be finding his groove again which will help.

How about letting McNeil lead off?  

Nice game.  Matz pitched 6 strong innings; McNeil hit his first dinger of the year; and Frazier stole a base.

It's still really early, and I don't believe that deGrom and Sydergaard have suddenly forgotten how to pitch.  Matz has actually been good in 4 of his starts, it's just that the other was a historic disaster.  Wheeler has looked pretty good in his last 2 games.  I think it's too early for the sky is falling panic from Mets fans about the starting pitching.  The concern over Vargas is real.  He's proving to be one of the biggest busts in Mets history, which is saying something.  For me, they can't get him out of rotation too fast.  The bullpen remains a concern, especially with Wilson going on the IL.  The hitting is almost certain to be better than last year based strictly on the replacement of Gonzalez et. al with Alonso, a fully healthy year from Conforto, and a platoon of McNeil/Frazier replacing the assortment of guys at 3B last year.

It's 22 games in, the Mets have played the other contenders in the East to a 7-7 draw, and they are tied for first place.  It could have been a lot worse at this point in the season.  

ml1 said:
It's still really early, and I don't believe that deGrom and Sydergaard have suddenly forgotten how to pitch.  Matz has actually been good in 4 of his starts, it's just that the other was a historic disaster.  Wheeler has looked pretty good in his last 2 games.  I think it's too early for the sky is falling panic from Mets fans about the starting pitching.  The concern over Vargas is real.  He's proving to be one of the biggest busts in Mets history, which is saying something.  For me, they can't get him out of rotation too fast.  The bullpen remains a concern, especially with Wilson going on the IL.  The hitting is almost certain to be better than last year based strictly on the replacement of Gonzalez et. al with Alonso, a fully healthy year from Conforto, and a platoon of McNeil/Frazier replacing the assortment of guys at 3B last year.
It's 22 games in, the Mets have played the other contenders in the East to a 7-7 draw, and they are tied for first place.  It could have been a lot worse at this point in the season.  

The run differential is more informing to me than the standings.  They are tied for first with a -15 run differential.  That isn't sustainable.

FilmCarp said:
The run differential is more informing to me than the standings.  They are tied for first with a -15 run differential.  That isn't sustainable.

they have a 10-2 loss and a 14-3 loss in their first 22 games.  Those games alone produced a -19 run differential.

Are they even considering going after Keuchel or Gio Gonzalez? Vargas never getting into the 5th inning wears out the the entire bullpen.I'm pretty shocked Kimbrel is still out there. The Phillies' and Nats' bullpens are possibly worse than the Mets.

jfinnegan said:
Are they even considering going after Keuchel or Gio Gonzalez? Vargas never getting into the 5th inning wears out the the entire bullpen.I'm pretty shocked Kimbrel is still out there. The Phillies' and Nats' bullpens are possibly worse than the Mets.

rumors are that Gonzalez is listening to offers from the Mets and Milwaukee.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/brewers-interested-in-gio-gonzalez-will-be-competition-for-mets-sources/306474478

jfinnegan said:

The Phillies' and Nats' bullpens are possibly worse than the Mets.

Oh, yeah? Where’s your evidence?

question

Well, my streak of inaccuracies continues.  I predict bad things from Frazier and he hits a slam.  I mention the run differential and they pick up nine.  I guess I should predict a last place finish.

FilmCarp said:
Well, my streak of inaccuracies continues.  I predict bad things from Frazier and he hits a slam.  I mention the run differential and they pick up nine.  I guess I should predict a last place finish.

go for it 

OMG! OMG!  Wheeler was incredible!

He is a 100/100 guy!!**

**100+ mph pitch and 100+ mph exit velocity on his home run.  Per MLB.com and Statcast.

FilmCarp said:

Yes, I was thinking of you when I was driving home from a meeting and heard Frazier hit his granny.  And I was chagrined myself as I certainly agreed with your earlier assessment.

mfpark said:
 Yes, I was thinking of you when I was driving home from a meeting and heard Frazier hit his granny.  And I was chagrined myself as I certainly agreed with your earlier assessment.

I'll just remind everyone of the obvious. The season is very long. 

Looking forward to seeing Vargas plunk Hoskins tonight with a 52mph "heater." It's gotta suck when your chin music is adagio.

Train_of_Thought said:
Looking forward to seeing Vargas plunk Hoskins tonight with a 52mph "heater." It's gotta suck when your chin music is adagio.

He will miss and hit the ump.  But that will push his pitch count over 35, so he will have to come out .

Gonzalez signed with Milwaukee. They apparently assured him he won't have to pitch out of the bullpen. Mets would not give that guarantee. 

Interesting idea I heard yesterday was a deal involving Dom Smith for Marcus Stroman. Could be a good deal for both, with Dom finally starting to show that he can play. And with Alonso at first, Smith isn't going to get a ton of playing time in NY 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.