Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

For Mets, re-signing R.A. Dickey likely to be expensive ...

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2012/08/for_mets_re-signing_ra_dickey.html

Discuss.

Train_of_Thought said:

Wrong link???

Oops. Corrected ... Now, let's discuss.

This is easy. Pay him and then Dickey anchors a staff of young firebrands for 4 more seasons. With Santana's contract expiring the Wilpons can afford him and thensome. He is a consummate professional, role model and fan favorite. The Mets need more of this.

On a different note, twice earlier in tonight's game, the Mets opted to pitch to Jay Bruce in situations that ordinarily might have called for pitching around him, rather than face Todd Frazier. Both times, Bruce was retired. In the bottom of the 9th however...

UGH. question

Yeah, I think signing R.A. is a no-brainer ...

Soul_29 said:

Yeah, I think signing R.A. is a no-brainer ...

.....but of course being the Mets means there is no guarantee it will happen, with the possibility the team is going to stink for the next 3 or 4 seasons. And as Branch Rickey told Ralph Kiner, "We can lose with you or without you. But if we trade you we don't have to pay you."

Sigh.....

Watched last night's game and have come to the following conclusion--Johan is the best reliever on the staff. For 3 innings he is unhittable. And after watching him impersonate Ed Whitson since his no-hitter, why not put him in the bullpen. One advantage is we NEVER have to watch Francisco try to close out a game and then explain with a big smirk on his face that he was tired, had a hang nail, or the ump was trying to squeeze him.

I think Bob Ojeda's opinion is right (he must have said "in my opinion" ten times as he was providing it after the game last night): Johan should be shut down. It's October for him based on the type of rehab he had to do to get back to pitching form this spring.

wendy said:

I think Bob Ojeda's opinion is right (he must have said "in my opinion" ten times as he was providing it after the game last night): Johan should be shut down. It's October for him based on the type of rehab he had to do to get back to pitching form this spring.

In no particular order of importance.....

Darling isn't too shabby either. Darling had a great comment regarding the use of videotape when he said that Johan will study his performance and see what he did well in the first three innings and try to extend that in his next start. If there is a next start....

Ojeda is the best at what he does. I would agree. In the Times this a.m. Warthen speculates that Johan is fatigued because he's been essentially throwing since December. As an aside there is also a short Bats column about Francisco's demeanor following games he blows. Looks like it was written by you grin

Kudos to SNY for assembling a really smart group of analysts.

Oh I love Darling and like him better than Ojeda for the most part and I think he's a more complex thinker as well (the Yale education is apparent). Ojeda, who himself dealt with arm injury more than Darling, just analyzed the Johan situation quicker and better than Darling may have done. For all I know Darling too may have said as much during the game after the two homers but he may have been more constrained based on his play by play/analyst position last night. One of my few beefs with Darling was what he said about Reyes sitting out to clinch the batting title. I think it was an ok thing to do; I vaguely remember Darling calling him out on it.

Totally agree about SNY and the radio coverage is excellent as well, imo.

Now to read Times articles you mentioned and hope for better days ahead and in seasons to come.

I can't believe how much we suck. I mean, we SUCK a lot ...

we won't find out this year, but I wonder if anybody has been watching video to see if Santana had been tipping pitches. he had been doing that a couple years back, and when he did, he was getting hammered.

My son from Denver last week--"The Rockies are the worst team in baseball. We suck."

Um, well, ah.......

Soul_29 said:

I can't believe how much we suck. I mean, we SUCK a lot ...

mfpark said:

My son from Denver last week--"The Rockies are the worst team in baseball. We suck."

Um, well, ah.......

11-27 since the All-Star break. Only one team is worse and the mets play them next.
The Astros.

I was there today. What an anemic offense. Spoiled what was a great pitching debut. The couldn't even care to get some runs for the kid?

Rooting for R.A. Dickey to win the Cy Young is the only reason to pay attention to the rest of the Mets season.

ml1 said:

Rooting for R.A. Dickey to win the Cy Young is the only reason to pay attention to the rest of the Mets season.

Agreed.

He should be near the top in wins and ERA ... I think he has a shot a strike-outs too, once the Nats shut-down Strausberg ...

No question this is the most dominant season for a Mets pitcher since Cone in '88.

I need to do other things but even though it doesn't count in the least (unless a miracle occurs between now and the end of the regular season) I'm watching the top of the ninth hoping for two in a row. I'm going to now sheesh myself..... Sheesh Wendy, get a life.

Someone explain to me why Jason Bay wasn't in for defense in the 9th inning ... Turning off the game ... I don't care.

Soul_29 said:

Someone explain to me why Jason Bay wasn't in for defense in the 9th inning ... Turning off the game ... I don't care.

exactly my thoughts. Leaving now to do some things. 50 50 chance I put on the radio en route.

Ike walk-off HR to win ... Seems like a let-down.

Two in a row.....
Anyone see the stat that Mets are 4-19 in home stands since the beginning of July?
I know the team is in the doldrums yet there are signs of life. Murphy makes a sliding backhand stop and throws out a speedy runner. David has two homers and is batting close to .300 since the All-Star break. Hefner has his second consecutive quality start.

Of course if the Mets could actually score some runs.....

Signs of life? Maybe ... I think our starting pitching will be good next year. Especially, if adding Wheeler ... An infield of Davis, Murphy, Tejada and Wright is nothing to sneeze at ... We need at least one REAL ML outfielder on the team ... Free agent market there will be scarce, but maybe it can come via trade ... AND, clearly, the bull pen needs to be revamped TOP to BOTTOM.

"Free agent market there will be scarce... AND, clearly, the bull pen needs to be revamped TOP to BOTTOM."

Too bad there isn't any type of Rent Party that can address this.... ;-)

So I wound up listening to the walk off (or from how he approached home, the spin-around off, they said) from Ike. It was nice to hear (yes I cheered in the car even though it means so little) and although Heffner didn't get the win, he pitched great. It was Jewish Heritage day at the stadium so it was especially fitting for Ike to have scored all the runs and in the fashion he did. two in a row......

wendy said:

It was Jewish Heritage day at the stadium so it was especially fitting for Ike to have scored all the runs and in the fashion he did. two in a row......

Jewish baseball player saying passed down to me from my father:
"I feel closest to God, like after I'm rounding second base after I hit a homer."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.