Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Bay went O for 3 last night, now batting .176.
Harvey went 2 for 2 last night, now batting 1.000.

Great news--Acosta throws a hitless/runless inning in relief. grrr

101 games played. 61 games left. How many of these will we win? I'm thinking 28 wins ...

How many will Seaver be starting?

We don't need him to win more than 14.

You should have been at Highland Place last night. Straw, ML1 and moi had a nice chat about the Seaver trade.

Dangit. Planned to be there 'til some stuff got in the way. Mets talk and Pressel funk -- sure sounds like a good night to me.

R.A. you complete me. Thank you for this win, your 14th. Muaaaah.

Worst. Bullp...

Well, you know the rest.

Train_of_Thought said:

Worst. Bullp...

Well, you know the rest.

Glad I didn't see this before I checked the box score and then happily watched FastForward on SNY (plug for the kid I know interning there) this morning.

So you do you think the Mets actually agree to a trade with Hairston before the day is over?

wendy said:

So you do you think the Mets actually agree to a trade with Hairston before the day is over?

Mets will trade Hairston if they can address one of two needs this season and next--catcher or bullpen. Not sure any team in contention will weaken their bullpen. OTOH, there are many catchers available. Red Sox and Giants have greatest need for right hand hitting outfielder. Jon Heymann says either would be willing to trade top catching prospect (Sanchez-Giants) or decent back-up (Shoppach-Boston) for outfield help

After Parnell's and Edgin's awful 9th (I was CERTAIN Edgin would throw ball 4 and walk in the winning run -- after all I've been Pavlovianly conditioned!), Mets put up a 2-spot in the 10th. Game over. What does Acosta (and his ridiculously unnecessary pre-pitch dipdown) promptly do to start the 10th? Walks the leadoff man. My son calls that "Armando's Law." With 1 out he walks a second guy, then gives up a run-scoring single that puts the tying run on third. Finally finished off Belt by only allowing his bomb to only go 395 of the available 399 feet in dead center. And for a second, I was half-expecting Valdespin and his semi-hot dog catching method to drop the ball. Again, Pavlov. But...PUT IT IN THE BOOKS...AS A SAVE FOR ACOSTA. Oy, I don't need all that agita at two in the morning...

Train_of_Thought said:

After Parnell's and Edgin's awful 9th (I was CERTAIN Edgin would throw ball 4 and walk in the winning run -- after all I've been Pavlovianly conditioned!), Mets put up a 2-spot in the 10th. Game over. What does Acosta (and his ridiculously unnecessary pre-pitch dipdown) promptly do to start the 10th? Walks the leadoff man. My son calls that "Armando's Law." With 1 out he walks a second guy, then gives up a run-scoring single that puts the tying run on third. Finally finished off Belt by only allowing his bomb to only go 395 of the available 399 feet in dead center. And for a second, I was half-expecting Valdespin and his semi-hot dog catching method to drop the ball. Again, Pavlov. But...PUT IT IN THE BOOKS...AS A SAVE FOR ACOSTA. Oy, I don't need all that agita at two in the morning...

My tolerance for agita ends with a tie score in the ninth. You are a better man ToT!

Train_of_Thought said:

My tolerance for agita ends with a tie score in the ninth. You are a better man ToT! Now, can you pitch inside grin

Harvey looked good last night. Pitched good enough to win ... A bright spot?

This week's SI makes the case that Carlos Beltran should be part of future HOF conversations ... Begs the question, given how poorly he was treated in NYC: Do most Mets fan no a gawd damn thing about baseball ... Discuss.

Soul_29 said:

This week's SI makes the case that Carlos Beltran should be part of future HOF conversations ... Begs the question, given how poorly he was treated in NYC: Do most Mets fan no a gawd damn thing about baseball ... Discuss.

Mets fans hold grudges and their emotions often obscure reason.

Soul_29 said:

Harvey looked good last night. Pitched good enough to win ... A bright spot?

Too early to tell. Back in 90's Isringhausen, in his first season, looked like the second coming of Tom Seaver. Listening to the game on the radio last night Howie Rose kept saying Koosman and Harvey in the same sentence.

Regarding Beltran, I wrote this Back in May:

ml1 said:

after Beltran is retired, a lot of Mets fans are going to be asking themselves why they hated him so much. you have to wonder how a guy can be so respected by his teammates, but so disliked by the fans.

R.A. Dickey devoted a chunk of one chapter of his book to writing about how Beltran is a "pro's pro" and an outstanding teammate.

Mets fans wanted him to hit .325, 40 HRs and drive in 125 runs every year. They expected no less to justify the contract. But they were overlooking the fact that the team was getting great power numbers from a Gold Glove CF. That's very rare and very valuable. A lot of guys say if he had even swung and missed in Game 7 they'd have cut him some slack. They couldn't take that he stood there and didn't swing. I doubt that. Most Mets fans had already decided they hated him after his injury plagued '05. But it will be long time before they have a CF anywhere near as good as Beltran.

ml1...You know I love you to death, but when it comes to generalizing what Met fans think, want, etc., we already have Hank to do that, thank you.

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1...You know I love you to death, but when it comes to generalizing what Met fans think, want, etc., we already have Hank to do that, thank you.

I'll drink a Rheingold to that.

Train_of_Thought said:

But was I wrong?

;-)

Here's an interesting one from MLB Trade Rumors

"Earlier today we heard that the Mets and Marlins discussed a trade involving Jason Bay, Heath Bell, and John Buck, but Mike Puma of The New York Post reports (on Twitter) that Bay was never asked to waive his no-trade clause."

I'm glad that didn't happen. my fear is Bell is done because the Pads used him so much. and he's signed for two more years (I think he's owed a total of $19MM over the two seasons). Bay has been awful, but he's only signed for one more year, and then the Mets are done with him.

and speaking of bad contracts, anybody notice how Ollie Perez has been doing with Seattle? He's pitched 14 innings, 15Ks and only 4 BBs. But I don't miss him, and I can't imagine anyone else in NY does either.

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

But was I wrong?

;-)

shock

Cue the sound of crickets....

As hard as the bullpen and defense tried to lose a 6-1 lead and finally the game, kudos to John Niese and Jon Rauch.
How many of you die-hards think the Mets finish with an above .500 record?

"How many of you die-hards think the Mets finish with an above .500 record?"

I hope they will but do I think they will? Nah. Between Santana's last performance and this bullpen. A definite nah. Although, not bad defense yesterday. (And was it me or is Frank Francisco's natural way of speaking particularly when he almost blows games seems to be almost smirking and giving lame excuses that "he got tired"??!!)

The Mets have been deteriorating, and to get to 0.500, they'd have to be improving. I believe they'll miss .500 - I don't see 26-21 over the remaining 47 to get to 0.500, or 27-20 to be "over" .500.

Maybe Dickey will win the Cy Young tho! That'd be sweeter than a Reyes batting title, although neither is particularly satisfying.

wendy said:

(And was it me or is Frank Francisco's natural way of speaking particularly when he almost blows games seems to be almost smirking and giving lame excuses that "he got tired"??!!)

It definitely wasn't you. But to make sure I think you should call the FAN next Sunday and discuss. I promise I'll have the radio on when you do! oh oh

Thanks wharfrat for that confirmation and strong suggestion. I'll see what I can do and I will hold you to your promise. ;-)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.