Maplewood's Parkwood nominated for NJ's Best Diner!

OK, so after Pete Genovese picked twenty additional diners on his own, he visited the Parkwood this week...

http://villagegreennj.com/business/nj-coms-munchmobile-reviews-maplewoods-park-wood-diner/

...But if he liked the Parkwood so much, why couldn't he remember its name???

-s.

could be an autocorrect  issue

Ducking autocorrect strikes again.  

The S-L fired fact checkers a loooong time ago.

There is a Park West diner in NJ.  It is not in Maplewood however.

dave said:

Newspapers have never had fact checkers. 

imonlysleeping said:
dave said:

Nuts. Thirty years of my life, all for nuthin'.

P.S. Even in newsrooms that do still have fact checkers, you can maybe see how it's possible for a personal tweet to slip through.

DaveSchmidt said:
imonlysleeping said:
dave said:

Nuts. Thirty years of my life, all for nuthin'.

Huh. I also must have hallucinated a good chunk of my job when first out of J-school. 

Copy editors and fact checkers are not the same thing. Pretty sure the S-L still has a copy department?

Pete Genovese puts those notices up himself on Twitter...it's probably autocorrect. He is often doing it right from the van he is driving or the table he is eating at. He has written well about the community in the past including covering the 4th of July baking contest one year. I'll give him and by extension the Ledger a pass on this one.

Parkwood actually autocorrects to "park wood." I think he just had a brain fart. Somebody could let him know, I guess. Nobody seems to have pointed it out on Twitter.

imonlysleeping said:

Copy editors and fact checkers are not the same thing. Pretty sure the S-L still has a copy department?

We can quibble over the semantics of job titles -- elsewhere, to minimize the thread drift -- but it's really beside the point: Fact-checking is part of a copy editor's job. So in addition to reporters, whose job includes checking facts, and their assignment editors, whose job includes checking facts, there are fact checkers who answer to the name of copy editors.

And yet errors still get online and into print. Go figure.

I stand by my assertion that the S-L has never had fact checkers and continues to have copy editors.  grin 

I've known some reporters like you.  grin 

BTW: how many of you have been to the Parkwood SINCE they garnered the most NNJ votes?

-s.

I went tonight.  They were crowded.

soda said:

BTW: how many of you have been to the Parkwood SINCE they garnered the most NNJ votes?

-s.

At least 4 or 5 times!

every Sunday since.  (except yesterday)

nan said:

I went tonight.  They were crowded.

I almost went last night too.  I was so close to going, then got busy with something and just ended up not eating dinner at all.  Sure hope Parkwood comes out in first place because they deserve it !

I saw Nan there last night.  Part of the crowding was due to the large number of members of the Rutgers-Newark Chorus who went there for dinner after their concert yesterday afternoon.

nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

Parkwood made the top ten overall!  Time to start voting again:  http://www.nj.com/jerseysbest/2015/12/njs_best_diner_the_10_finalists_revealed_vote_for_1.html#incart_river_home

Hmmm... Mustache Bill's on Friday, eh? I hadn't planned on being outta town, but perhaps a visit to BL is in my future...

-s.

While Bill's place isn't bad, it is not worth a special trip to L.B.I.  If you want to drive that distance, go to Shea's on Rt 9 in Absecon/Galloway. It is much better. Open 7am to 3 p.m. 

There will be a line to get in.

(No, he is not my relative or anything... just the best food in Ocean County.)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.