Local Village Mom and Pop coffee vendors to remain open

mrincredible said:

ml1 said:
When I was growing up, there was a Friendly's near my home.  I'd often stop there and use my paper route money to buy myself a Fribble, which was a big milkshake.  I'm glad that back in the day there weren't any busybodies going around telling me that I was ruining my health and that my parents were negligent for letting me drink Fribbles.
 Darn it now I want a Chocolate Fribble.

don't do it man!  It's got almost 7 tablespoons of sugar!  

I looked up the Fribble. It tops out at 1280 calories. Maybe if I eat a salad with lemon juice for lunch?

mrincredible said:

ml1 said:
When I was growing up, there was a Friendly's near my home.  I'd often stop there and use my paper route money to buy myself a Fribble, which was a big milkshake.  I'm glad that back in the day there weren't any busybodies going around telling me that I was ruining my health and that my parents were negligent for letting me drink Fribbles.

I really resented those busy bodies who said smoking was bad..........till my dad, life long smoker died of lung cancer.  Maybe he should have stuck to Fribbles......he would have lived a while longer.

author said:

mrincredible said:

ml1 said:
 I really resented those busy bodies who said smoking was bad..........till my dad, life long smoker died of lung cancer.  Maybe he should have stuck to Fribbles......he would have lived a while longer.

Thing is that while both are personal choices, I am not going to get sick if you choose to have three Fribbles every day.  But I used to work for a chain smoking boss and sharing an office with him was hell AND took a toll on my health.  No comparison. 

If you're really interested in being involved in effective public health campaigns, then why not just do it? Public health schools such as Columbia University have programs specifically geared towards communications and promotion. Even if you don't have the time or money to enroll, you can probably learn a lot just by reading what they do, following them on social media and so on:

https://mailman.columbia.edu

https://bloomberg.jhu.edu

https:/www.hsph.harvard.edu

you know what's a really good substitute for overly-sugared drinks?  A cold brew coffee or a tea infusion.  The kind you can get at Starbucks.

Ok.......let us get the easystuff out of the way first

Mike Scott

I am sorry your child suffered some discomfort.......but young children losing teeth is a fact of life.

Same can be true at any time in life

To illustrate......a year ago my wife and I spent the day driving through South Jersey.  We  checked into a motel and asked what local restaurants had ok take-out.

We ordered Chinese and settled in for the night.  Now Chinese food except for some nuts there in, is

usually pretty soft. Think of well cooked spaghetti .   Sure enough I lost a tooth.  Probably would have lost it eating oatmeal

Village Coffee sugar content......specialty coffees are prepared in larger batches and measured out

as needed.  He, the owner spoke in ozs used for multiple cups.  The thought of any one drink even 

containing even one table spoon of sugar is inconceivable.

For those drinking coffee in house......Stevia......the single safest sweetener is available

And now I realize that with their thousands of stores and millions of dollars in advertising  SB has managed to make themselves an Iconic institution.  To attack them , is to attack mom's apple pie.

Never did like my mom's apple pie.

I like Village Coffee Company, but to claim that their sweetened drinks have that small amount of sugar in them is complete and utter ********.  

a cafe mocha at any store in the country is going to have chocolate syrup in it. Which is mostly sugar. I like VC and I go there almost every day. I've even ordered a mocha there. To suggest it's not sweetened similarly to what you'd get at Starbucks is ridiculous. 

spontaneous said:
I like Village Coffee Company, but to claim that their sweetened drinks have that small amount of sugar in them is complete and utter ********.  

Well then blame the owner for that statement.............or better yet ask him the same question.

As an example.......I have taken to drinking Marsala Chai.  I find it very tasty.

I would have sworn it contained sugar..........not a drop.   Touch of honey and a kick provided by

ground ginger

author said:

I would have sworn it contained sugar..........not a drop.   Touch of honey and a kick provided by
ground ginger

You do know what honey is made of, right?  

And a "touch."  Well, that's subjective.  I had the lemongrass chai the other day, I can tell you right now there is more than a "touch" of honey in it.  I don't want to bash a local business, but you sure seem intent on causing trouble for them

I don't doubt the owner of VC was telling you the truth.  Specialty coffees don't have sugar in them until a patron adds his or her own.

You should have asked him what's in his "chillers," which is a coffee-based drink that looks a lot like a frappucino.  Or ask what's in a vanilla latte or cafe mocha.  Because my observation is that they make those drinks exactly the way Starbucks does.  Mix of espresso, steamed milk and flavored sugar syrup.

It appears you don't know how any of these drinks are actually made. There's no one at Starbucks spooning heaps of sugar into their drinks.  The source of sugar is mainly the flavored sugar syrups, with a lesser amount coming from the lactose in milk.  The VC has a big jug of chocolate syrup behind the counter.  Just like every other coffee shop that makes mocha drinks.

I can't believe we're now at the point of actually having to explain what goes into a coffee drink.

vampire 

spontaneous said:

author said:.

ground ginger
 You do know what honey is made of, right?  
And a "touch."  Well, that's subjective.  I had the lemongrass chai the other day, I can tell you right now there is more than a "touch" of honey in it.  I don't want to bash a local business, but you sure seem intent on causing trouble for them

Had the lemongrass ..........did not care for it.   If you mean cause trouble for SB........they can always

try a gag order.  If you mean Village Coffee,  I am practically a member of the family.  They

hold packages for me and my overflowing bath room appliances send cascades of water down their walls. We have it down to  a science.

you're not helping VC by telling people that the drinks are nearly sugar free.  People have an expectation of what a cup of chai or mocha is going to taste like.  And that is sweet.

author said:

Theyhold packages for me and my overflowing bath room appliances send cascades of water down their walls. We have it down to  a science.

Are you saying that your overflowing toilet or bath or sink cascades down their walls.  Where exactly does it cascade?    (I would recommend against you being the Village Coffee spokesman.)

kramer said:

author said:

Theyhold packages for me and my overflowing bath room appliances send cascades of water down their walls. We have it down to  a science.
 Are you saying that your overflowing toilet or bath or sink cascades down their walls.  Where exactly does it cascade?    (I would recommend against you being the Village Coffee spokesman.)

The last time it happened my toilet with clear water coming out over flowed for a while and then stopped on its own.  I was not home at the time.  Damn thing must be haunted.  Had all parts replaced and fine since then.

Anyway I found maybe an inch of water on the floor.  Took me over an hour of mopping and using the sponge device to do just that with the water.  It had flowed down an outer wall and caused only one table disruption.  Have to admit though that the bathroom floor never looked as clean.

ml1 said:
you're not helping VC by telling people that the drinks are nearly sugar free.  People have an expectation of what a cup of chai or mocha is going to taste like.  And that is sweet.

People who care more about their taste  buds than their health will soon be shown to a special room where smoking is allowed.

author said:

ml1 said:
 People who care more about their taste  buds than their health will soon be shown to a special room where smoking is allowed.

it would be ok if your descriptions were accurate but they're not.  So you're not helping VC sell any beverages by mischaracterizing their ingredients.  

okay.  I am now remarkably repulsed by the thought of Author’s toilet overflowing into the Villiage Coffee ship.  

This is a really dumb and now really offensive thread.  It's bad enough that the OP went out of his way to draw an absurd parallel between Starbucks and VC, but he has now become a sort of (pathetic) pseudo-spokesman for a local business whose name is constantly being raised in discussions that misrepresent their products.

Author, if I worked in VC I would be livid at you  and I would ban you from my store.  Those folks can more than stand on their own without you "helping" them with your inanity.

And based on the disgusting info that you have provided about your toilet, I won't be going back to VC for a long long time.  Congrats.  You're quite the salesman.

Venture Capital?

Victoria Cross?

Vince Carter?

Woot said:
okay.  I am now remarkably repulsed by the thought of Author’s toilet overflowing into the Villiage Coffee ship.  

He says he's a patron, so think of it as "the Circle of Life".

nohero said:

Woot said:

His toilet water dilutes the sugar content of VC's products thereby making them morally superior to the death fare served at SB.

well this discussion really went sideways didn't it?

nohero said:

Woot said:

Wow.  I just can’t...

No one was injured years ago when the apartment above me caught fire.  Our firemen did an excellent job but my2 gallons which was just a rivulet of course was far exceeded when they hosed probably thousands of gallons of their own clear water on to the fire.  My accident contributed at most 2 gallons to the building and was a mere rivulet by the time it got downstairs.

My apt suffered no fire damage but the floors and cabinetry all had to be replaced.  I believe it was three months till it could be occupied again.

A waterfall of water will do that..

The coffee shop was the last stop for these gallons of water that cascaded down and through the walls to inundate the entire shop. Never spoke to the owner about the extent of water damage

but the shop was certainly closed for a few weeks.

Since that was about 10 years ago and there have been no illnesses reported I guess all is well that ends well..........Unless you attack, not report, what sugar laden Starbucks is doing to our children.

It continues

Stop posting that your toilet effluent, in whatever volume, found its way to the premises of Village Coffee, as it is rather off-putting for current and potential customers.

(I can't believe I even had to type this)

I believe you had to type it

Now..........apples and apples

my 2gallons of clean water came from the tank in my bathroom........it had no contact with anything

that would be considered effluent any more than sink water or bath tub .   Since it traveled 20 feet by the time it reached downstairs it would be considered a trace amount in scientific 

terms

Really dig that Starbucks scene huh?

you're probably doing more damage to their reputation by suggesting that the chai is unsweetened.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.