Life Surrounded by Mountains in Central Chile

I followed local custom, because there is no infrastructure to address the animal control problem. The rescue organization I contacted for help adopting Paz, an organization that I have funded in the past with hundreds of dollars, simply wants money; they have their own animals that they want to help. Furthermore, I suspect that there was unspoken bias involved: anti-Americanism.

People need to work together to address the animal control issues. I asked my sister and my cousin for help, they have small farms and lots of dogs, and they said no. Everyone seemed to think that the destruction was funny. I was told that I was warned against taking in dogs from the street. All I got was advise to put the dog back where I found it. My sister went further: she said that nobody would adopt her, that I had her for life, and she laughed. It is very, very disappointing.

I need to also come to terms with the fact that I live in a small, rental home. I don't have authority or much room for another dog. Taking her in during the storm was a good idea, the conserje also took on a dog during the storm, but they released him immediately after the storm passed. I tried to adopt her, and I don't have the connections to do that at this time. That was my error.

Paz is an adorable puppy; and I am worried sick about her. I wanted to train her, keep her, but I am not able to do that yet in this house. Buying a house for the dog is not a good decision. My sister could have helped by keeping her while I find a place, but she was unwilling to do that.

I needed time to train Paz, and I had none. She was destroying things every day, and I really don't know how to train a dog to stop chewing on things anyway. You can't say no to everything, because it is bad for her. She needed to be contained in a safe environment, so that little by little I could teach her. I had no time, she needed to stop the behavior right away or allow herself to be in the crate, and she was totally and completely unwilling to do either.

Maybe all that I needed to do was to insist that she stay in the crate, but for multiple reasons, I took her out, and she was destructive. She reminded me so much of myself when I was a child, and how I still am. She and I are both a bit of a wild child at heart, untrusting, and untrained in the finer points of civilized society.

Copihue said:
I followed local custom, because there is no infrastructure to address the animal control problem. The rescue organization I contacted for help adopting Paz, an organization that I have funded in the past with hundreds of dollars, simply wants money; they have their own animals that they want to help. Furthermore, I suspect that there was unspoken bias involved: anti-Americanism.
People need to work together to address the animal control issues. I asked my sister and my cousin for help, they have small farms and lots of dogs, and they said no. Everyone seemed to think that the destruction was funny. I was told that I was warned against taking in dogs from the street. All I got was advise to put the dog back where I found it. My sister went further: she said that nobody would adopt her, that I had her for life, and she laughed. It is very, very disappointing.
I need to also come to terms with the fact that I live in a small, rental home. I don't have authority or much room for another dog. Taking her in during the storm was a good idea, the conserje also took on a dog during the storm, but they released him immediately after the storm passed. I tried to adopt her, and I don't have the connections to do that at this time. That was my error.
Paz is an adorable puppy; and I am worried sick about her. I wanted to train her, keep her, but I am not able to do that yet in this house. Buying a house for the dog is not a good decision. My sister could have helped by keeping her while I find a place, but she was unwilling to do that.
I needed time to train Paz, and I had none. She was destroying things every day, and I really don't know how to train a dog to stop chewing on things anyway. You can't say no to everything, because it is bad for her. She needed to be contained in a safe environment, so that little by little I could teach her. I had no time, she needed to stop the behavior right away or allow herself to be in the crate, and she was totally and completely unwilling to do either.
Maybe all that I needed to do was to insist that she stay in the crate, but for multiple reasons, I took her out, and she was destructive. She reminded me so much of myself when I was a child, and how I still am. She and I are both a bit of a wild child at heart, untrusting, and untrained in the finer points of civilized society.

The world needs more of the wild child and a little less of our civilization.

I am reading a really great novel by a Chilean author; it's short

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-old-man-who-read-love-stories-luis-sepulveda/1103662835?ean=9780156002721

She's back, resting next to the other pups who are also giving in and allowing her to cuddle, sort of.

You are incorrigible ..your writing is superior and so clear ..duly missed here .

Did Paz find her own way home??? Amazing pup.

Perhaps if you find a large, child's playpen that will work better than the crate? And maybe the vet knows of some puppy school- type classes you could try to keep her mind busy while you're also tackling that destructive side?

No, this time she did not come back on her own, instead I went back to look for her. My head was telling me it was the right thing to do to let her go: she wasn't my responsibility, I only took care of her during the storm, she's destructive, the dogs don't like her, yada yada yada. But she wasn't a dog that I didn't know anymore, she was Paz, and I was afraid that someone would harm her, and I didn't want that to happen to her.

When I returned the next morning, I noticed how beautiful the place was. Honestly, if I were a dog, I would want to live there. It's on a one-lane road, and next to the road is a creek, and lots of farms and condos and vacation homes border the other side of the road. But dogs are domesticated animals, they depend on us, they can't get their own food, and I know how devastating it is to be abandoned. My entire body was rejecting what I had done.

I am an old woman with two old dogs, and she is a sprite, young pup. She jumps, plays, and chews everything in sight. If I find a more suitable home for her, after she has had her shots, after she has been sterilized, I will adopt her out. There may be a more suitable home for her, but she will stay with us until that time, should that time ever come.

I wish you strength and patience. You're a good heart and a kind soul.

Meanwhile, be sure to put all valuables and anything you don't want chewed or destroyed up high or in cabinets where she cannot reach. If you're going to push ahead with this project, and I commend you for your good heart, protect yourself and your possessions. You will be able to pursue her future with less angst.

I applaud you for going to find her, Copihue. I believe the dog we need,always finds us. Sometimes we don't realize we need the dog. But the dog knows. Thanks for doing the right thing.

Hi,

Thought you would like to know that Debbie was hired by St. Hubert's! I was there today!

Thank you for letting me know. I always thought that this was a wonderful idea, and I am delighted to learn that Debbie finally accepted the offer. I think that this is a case of common sense triumphing after a long, hard-fought road. Bravo to all involved! snake This is wonderful news! Amazing! Great! Makes my day.

Great news for everyone - congratulations to Debbie, a warrior

My cousin found a family for Paz, a man who works for him and who takes good care of his animals, he says. I took her there, and she was immediately placed on a leash tied to a post. This is supposed to happen only for a short period of time while she learns where her new home is. If they keep her tied, the moment she is untied, she is sure to run away. I am going to try to keep an open mind about the placement, for I don't want to offend these people. However, keeping her on a leash will break her joyful, playful spirit.

Jake is very upset, and he has begun injuring himself. I don't think that he's had any chicken, but Paz was emptying the trash several times a day, and he may have gotten a hold of an egg shell. My vet says a miniscule amount of allergen will trigger the same allergic reaction as a whole chicken meal.

The adopters agreed that I could pick up Paz next Friday, so that she can get her second set of vaccinations; then there is a third set and sterilization after that. I will be able to keep an eye on her for the next two months.

The house could be a good placement. A very humble environment with a donkey and a mule; there are also grandchildren involved. She's not going to have to learn not to eat plants, not to poop and pee inside the house, not to chew everything in sight -- the basic set of requirements of suburban living. She will live in the countryside where I hope that she will be happy.

It's a trade off, and I am not certain that it is a good one. I hope it is.

So life is back to normal in the Copihue household. Rachel is sleeping, Jake is sleeping, and soon Rachel will want to go on a longer walk down the path of her choosing while Jake will want to walk only if we stop at every smelling spot in the neighborhood. Then there's going to be more pooping, more peeing followed by more resting, eating, and another walk after the heat eases.

There is the obligatory snuggle or the human will grab said dog and kiss dog in a public place, which is so embarrassing. Then said dogs will make multiple requests to taste whatever the human is eating.

I know it's stupid to watch her come out of the shop after paying our bill and to have her look at us while she's pretending to be another dog wagging its tail; but don't laugh at her, just pretend you like it. Wag you tail in return, maybe do a little hop for her. That's it, that's what you need to do to keep her happy.

I'm so glad you have a possible new home for Paz, and I really hope it works out. It sounds like it has solid potential, and it's good you'll be able to keep an eye on things for awhile. Fingers crossed...

Thanks, PeggyC,

Sunday I took Paz some of her food, because her tummy has been upset, and I met the new owner; I had been dealing with the daughter. We exchanged phone numbers, and I told her that Paz needed to continue her medical treatments which I would pay. She said fine.

On Monday I called her to let her know when Paz had an appointment with the vet, and she says to me: "Are we rearing the dog for you? or is this our dog?" It may be that I am holding on too tight.

She then mentioned that at 3:30, when I have to pick up the dog on Friday, she would still be there. She made reference to the kids, and this is the second time that I hear about the kids. She may have a babysitting service, and they are the kids who wanted the dog. These are not articulate people, it's difficult to understand the story, and that is what has me somewhat alarmed.

I would have never handed them the dog had it not been that everyone in my family knows them and knows where they live.

Can you ask your family for more details on the situation there? More importantly, does Paz seem OK?

A large colony of sea lions lives in the rock formation, and if you look carefully you can spot the bull guarding territory. In the morning they go into the water, and from what I can see, they do nothing other than play. There were about 100 sea lions this morning.

Beautiful and peaceful.

Not that peaceful in reality. These ugly predatory birds are killing and eating smaller ones, and the sea lion pups are crying for help as they struggle to get up onto the rock.

I took Paz, now Chantal, to see the vet. She got her vaccinations and anti-parasitic treatments. She gained 1.5 kg which is a bit over 3 lbs.; that's a lot for a dog that only weighed 11 kgs. three weeks ago. She looks good. Her coat is shinny, and she looks happy. She went crazy jumping when she saw me; the window to my car was open, and she jumped in. On the way to the vet she cuddled my neck.

The owner takes care of six of her grandchildren; four of them are very small, one is in high school and the other in junior high. I asked if Chantal is kept tied to a post, and the grandmother said only occassionally. The granddaughter called her grandmother a liar when she said that. I asked the granddaughter why she said that, and she did not respond.

Chantal does seem to understand that that is her new home, because when we got back from the vet, the door was locked. She tried getting in on her own.

Now they know that I love her, that she loves me, and that I don't want her to be chained, that I want them to walk and play with her. Some of that is taking place already, we'll see what happens in 2.5 wks. when I have to pick her up again so that she can be sterelized.

I feel slightly more comfortable with the placement; it may be the right place for her. I mostly say that because of the kids and the grandmother who seems to do a good job of taking care of her food, water and health concerns. She's an excellent caretaker.

I love the rich blue color of the ocean

National Day is coming soon - are there special plans for festivities in your area/your family?

I'm impressed, how did you know? Yes, everyone is getting ready for a big party, one that I have not been a part of for fifty years. It's on a Friday, so it will be a three day holiday, but many folks are taking time off before then too. I am afraid of it, because some people get drunk, and I don't want to be on the roads. The cops will be out in force checking for alcohol abuse according to the newspaper.

Most likely I will go to my cousin's country home in Olmue which is the center of the festivities. My cousin says that the small village gets packed with people, and you can't go anywhere by car. You are supposed to celebrate traditional agricultural culture on the 18th of September, eat chilean empanadas, drink wine, watch or participate in cueca competitions (traditional dance), view equestrian exhibitions (this does sound interesting), and play traditional music. They have these events in a special settings called "ramadas" which are out in the country or they simulate being out in the country. Everything and everyone carries decorations with chilean flags -- napkins, table cloths, hats, cars --, and some wear traditional clothes. The women's clothing is way over the top; the skirts are puffy, they have ruffles, bright colors and lots of embroidery; it's good clothing for dancing. The men wear handsome leather boots with a black hat and a poncho which is made of weaved wool; it's elegant. Some designers are using the men's clothing ideas and turning it into women's clothing, and that I do like. I like minimalist clothing, so the ruffles and embroidery turn my stomach. I am in the city and watching city dwellers wearing boots with spurs, hats and ponchos looks ridiculous. A lot of this is way overdone.

It's a long holiday, so they will also barbeque and drink a lot. I saw an article in the paper which states that the average Chilean puts on 3.25 kg during this weekend. Yuk, that is not my type of event. But I am trying to keep an open mind. It might be fun; I certainly liked it when I was a child.

Sounds fabulous to me! I hope you enjoy it.

Well, I heard you party for two weeks if you do it properly... cheese wink cheese

D bought a new suit for the job he started this morning, and the wonderful tailor who adjusted it for him is Chilean. Such a character! Such a warm personality! And when he heard that my niece married a Chilean, well, naturally I became part of Humberto's family too...

Joanne, I am not at all surprised that you would be welcomed to any family.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!