Jefferson and Maplewood Avenue

So, it sounds like the town is adopting something similar to my suggestion which primarily slows down the traffic by the crest of Jefferson.  There will be a 4 way stop by Walton/Woodland and Jefferson.  

I hope I'm wrong, but I think there will be a lot of rear end accidents now on Jefferson. Speeding east on Jefferson is probably the main cause of accidents at that intersection. I may just avoid ever traveling east on Jefferson from now on. 

ml1 said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I think there will be a lot of rear end accidents now on Jefferson. Speeding east on Jefferson is probably the main cause of accidents at that intersection. I may just avoid ever traveling east on Jefferson from now on. 

I think the four way stop will be at the woodland/ Walton intersection, so that might slow down the cars going east on Jefferson. It might work, unless Mario Andretti is heading downhill from Wyoming to get a slurpy from 7/11 on valley….

Jaytee said:

I think the four way stop will be at the woodland/ Walton intersection, so that might slow down the cars going east on Jefferson. It might work, unless Mario Andretti is heading downhill from Wyoming to get a slurpy from 7/11 on valley….

The proposal calls for two four way stopsOne at Woodland/Walton/Jefferson and the other at Maplewood/Jefferson.

joan_crystal said:

The proposal calls for two four way stopsOne at Woodland/Walton/Jefferson and the other at Maplewood/Jefferson.

Even better.

Here's the link:

‘Long Overdue’: Jefferson & Maplewood Ave. Intersection to Become 4-Way Stop

The town is also proposing making the intersection of Walton, Woodland and Jefferson a four-way stop, to potentially slow traffic approaching Maplewood Ave.

https://villagegreennj.com/towns/maplewood/long-overdue-jefferson-maplewood-ave-intersection-to-become-4-way-stop/?source=newsletter

It will be a bit of an awkward 4 way stop since Walton and Woodland aren't exactly across the street from each other - but I guess they have ideas to make it work.

Come on.  I drive through Maplewood and I think we are going overboard with traffic calming.  Speed bumps.  4 way stop signs.  Speed bumps right next to 4 way stop signs.  Bump outs.  Lane reduction (Springfield Ave).  Added stop lights.  I know these embellishments are supposed to enhance safety, but when does this go too far?

Pretty soon traffic will be so calm that it won't move well, similar to Millburn Avenue.  I think much of this safety is being overdone. Whatever became of "user friendly"?

mrmaplewood said:

Whatever became of "user friendly"?

Sad to say…the users are not too friendly today. The calming measures definitely made Springfield avenue better. 

Jaytee said:

mrmaplewood said:

Whatever became of "user friendly"?

Sad to say…the users are not too friendly today. The calming measures definitely made Springfield avenue better. 

Drivers still drive like a@@holes.  The more calming, the better.

I don't see a purpose for a stop sign on Jeff/Walton, going towards Ridgewood.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

I don't see a purpose for a stop sign on Jeff/Walton, going north towards Ridgewood.

You think people coming over the hill shouldn't have to stop at the 4 way stop?  Seems like that would be one of the more critical stops since a car from Walton making a left on Jefferson wouldn't see the car as quickly if they're coming over the crest of the hill.

joan_crystal said:

still more reason to avoid traveling east on Jefferson. 

How about a full fledged traffic light?

Apollo_T said:

lets give this a chance.  Stoplights are over a Million to install

DanDietrich said:

Apollo_T said:

lets give this a chance.  Stoplights are over a Million to install

Even more if you get three "competing" bids on the same document. 

A million dollars for a stop light.. I would have never thought a traffic light cost that much. I will look at the ones demolished in car accidents differently now  tongue rolleye

the18thletter said:

A million dollars for a stop light.. I would have never thought a traffic light cost that much. I will look at the ones demolished in car accidents differently now 
tongue rolleye

Can you imagine a stop sign with a solar panel above it… with the flashing red LED s… gotta be around 300k!!!

Jaytee said:

Can you imagine a stop sign with a solar panel above it… with the flashing red LED s… gotta be around 300k!!!

But there are far less of those signs around, stop lights on the other hand....I can see the solar signs costing 250k though considering the game they are in. 

This thread was begun because of one accident.  I know that this intersection has a troubled history, but I can't recall any recent incident beside the one that is responsible for this thread.  It would be interesting to know how many other accidents have occurred in the past, say four years since the installation of the improved stop signs on Maplewood Avenue approaches.  They have been very effective in my opinion.  It occurs to me that this may be only one infrequent occurrence.  Before we jump to unfounded conclusions, it would be useful to examine the recent history of accidents here.

Am I the only person who can recall the childhood message of Henny Penny?

mrmaplewood said:

I think of it every time someone exclaims, “The oak leaves are falling!”

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

I don't see a purpose for a stop sign on Jeff/Walton, going towards Ridgewood.

In the article about this, they also mentioned that putting in the stop signs there would facilitate a crosswalk at that location, which would likely be very helpful given the proximity to Bolden School.

mrmaplewood said:

This thread was begun because of one accident.  I know that this intersection has a troubled history, but I can't recall any recent incident beside the one that is responsible for this thread.  It would be interesting to know how many other accidents have occurred in the past, say four years since the installation of the improved stop signs on Maplewood Avenue approaches.  They have been very effective in my opinion.  It occurs to me that this may be only one infrequent occurrence.  Before we jump to unfounded conclusions, it would be useful to examine the recent history of accidents here.

I live nearby and I can vouch for the fact that crashes at the intersection are pretty frequent. The proposed changes will likely eliminate the severe ones. There will likely still be a few fender benders because there will undoubtedly be people once in a while who go straight through a stop sign. 

But those two sets of four-way stops are going to be an aggravating cluster anyway because many people don't understand the rules of the road. But aggravating beats crashes. 

jamie said:

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

I don't see a purpose for a stop sign on Jeff/Walton, going north towards Ridgewood.

You think people coming over the hill shouldn't have to stop at the 4 way stop?  Seems like that would be one of the more critical stops since a car from Walton making a left on Jefferson wouldn't see the car as quickly if they're coming over the crest of the hill.

Peeps on Jeff, coming FROM Maplewood Ave, going towards Ridgewood, are going AWAY from the scene of the accidents. They are going AWAY from the danger zone. Why do they need a stop sign?

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Peeps on Jeff, coming FROM Maplewood Ave, going towards Ridgewood, are going AWAY from the scene of the accidents. They are going AWAY from the danger zone. Why do they need a stop sign?

You’re right, but have you ever seen a 3-way stop at a 4-way intersection?

jimmurphy said:

You’re right, but have you ever seen a 3-way stop at a 4-way intersection?

Who says its gotta be 4 way?

Because those peeps are going TO the danger zone -  for pedestrians (without superior athletic skills) trying to cross Jeff, from Woodland to Walton. 

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

3 way stops are only a thing when there are thing when there's a three way intersection like on Glen Avenue in Millburn.  Letting one lane go full speed at a 3 out of 4 way stop would be crazy.  If you've seen this done anywhere - let us know - I'm curious to see it in action.

And if you're proposing the it stays as is - then there could not be a four way stop proceeding it.  Maybe you have to let us know what your solution is because I may be missing something.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.