Inconsequential Chat

marksierra said:

Ah yes, none of the animal goes to waste.  Although, it may end up going to someone's waist.

pork donuts?

Jaytee said:

marksierra said:

Ah yes, none of the animal goes to waste.  Although, it may end up going to someone's waist.

pork donuts?

Fascinating reading - albeit a little - perhaps, off-putting:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/148822-pork-rectums/

Further discussion - The Mathematics of Boneless Pork Rectums - William M Briggs

The comments following each article are rather good.  I'm sure that some may be, if you'll pardon the expression, tongue in cheek.

There was a scandal in the States a few years back when it was discovered that a large portion of the "calamari" being sold in supermarkets was, in fact, boneless pork rectums.

GoSlugs said:

There was a scandal in the States a few years back when it was discovered that a large portion of the "calamari" being sold in supermarkets was, in fact, boneless pork rectums.

As noted - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/imitation-calamari-sliced-pig-rectum_n_2482063

We've seen this before, but it still raises a smile.

Being opportunistic feeders, dogs will try eating anything - especially if it smells good, or interesting, to them.

I've just learned about a local woman who threw out all the mirrors in her house.

She said they lied and made her look old.

I know the feeling ...

(Ross Sayers on X)

And, in a similar vein ...

(From John Moynes on X)

@marksierra, were u ok in the storms? One of my Melbourne friends got flooded (out east Dandenong way).  On the Goldie, we lost power for well over 25 hours, and our big bins wanted to run down the street to visit the marina. Forty-yr-old trees, strong and healthy, were knocked clean over, roots straight up in the air; well over 50 power poles downed in our area.  Sports fields and parks are a mess, and the kangaroo and koala sanctuaries are decimated (most trees are split or downed). 
ETA: turns out it was more like 1100 power poles that were downed, some made of concrete not wood. Tossed around like matchsticks in winds that were well over 129 kph (80+ mph), or cat 1/cat2 cyclone conditions not seen in well over 50 years. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/26/nsw-victoria-queensland-weather-forecast-warnings-severe
The second clip on MovieWorld, is just about 5 mins from my place. And that big photo of the tree on the power lines? Yeah. Imagine those in pieces every few yards all over the actual carriageway (road surface). For miles and miles.

joanne said:

@marksierra, were u ok in the storms? 

Yes. I'm fine, thank you.  No local damage as far as I can see.

Super massive storm here, even stronger thunder and lightning than Christmas night. Been rumbling, and shaking the house, for a couple of hours already. I reckon all those very expensive fireworks programs that Council is currently trying to show off around the beach line (‘Riverfire’ that runs down from Brisbane to the NSW border) is wasted because there’s no one to see anything, and anyway it’s all being blown away. 

Stay safe, everyone, whatever weather you find yourself in!!

Happy New Year one and all!

A project for when you have the time, wool, knitting and crochet needles on hand.

Oh, and the inclination...

PERFECT fun for summer!! Grab your mates and run into the the surf, all wearing ball gowns and dinner suits:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-07/formal-wear-swim-at-beach-ball-in-pursuit-of-happiness/103282356 
Of course, footwear is optional  smile Note this IS an annual event, running since 2005. Most of the garments are purchased at thrift stores; I’m assuming they’re well-cleaned and probably re-donated if still wearable or else donated to crafting groups. 

I was speaking to a microbiologist recently.

He was a lot taller than I expected.

Joanne's home state of Queensland has had a bout of unseasonal rain recently.

Much more than is usually received at this time of the year ...

Once upon a time F.A.S.T stood for Face, Arms, Speech and Time.

Now... (and not to be relied on.  If in doubt, seek proper medical assistance):

marksierra said:

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry that you felt you should add the disclaimer. 

mrincredible said:

marksierra said:

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry that you felt you should add the disclaimer. 

An excellent question.  One for which I have no answer.

It’s like you’re trying to physically hurt me. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.