Running for Maplewood Township Committee as Independent

mrincredible said:
Ileana have you taken a look at the She Should Run website?http://www.sheshouldrun.org/

I haven’t checked it out .. will do now, thank you very much  !! wink 

HarleyQuinn said:

ml1 said: someone running for office ought to have a few general ideas of what he or she thinks is important.  It's not an outrageous thing to ask for, even at the petition stage of the campaign.
  Im unfamiliar with many things that happens in our town. This is new territory for me. I can’t make an official platform/statement when I am still doing research and listening to the community. This takes time. I do not want to rush and say “I will do this” and disappointment you or “thinks should me like this” when I have but knowledge how things are run. I do not want to lie and promise things I can’t deliver. I want to be 100% sure of what i tell the community. I am in an early stage. Getting signatures and listening to the community. When I am ready believe me you will all know what I want to achieve in maplewood. Be patience with me. If you don’t want to sign I understand, but I am thankful for those who have sign my petition and are willing to wait to see what I have to offer. 

how about just a few thoughts about what you think is important?  Pedestrian safety? Youth recreation programs? Environmental issues? Police-community relations?

Full disclosure -- I won't be signing your petition because I'll be campaigning this fall on behalf of the Democratic candidates. But as I wrote earlier, I think it's best for everyone if the election is contested. So I think it's great that someone wants to run. But I do believe that the answer to the question -- why are you running? -- is one of that any candidate should be able to answer even before they are looking for support and signatures. Not specific promises of what you want to do, but general ideas of what is important to you. 

I wish you luck, but if I were an independent voter, I would want more information than you are giving before I signed a petition. 

LOST said:

HarleyQuinn said:
Yes, I hear all about the $30,000 dollars coming out of Lembrich pocket. God bless him. I don’t think I could put $100 from my own pocket for my campaign. It seems if you invest A LOT of money well it helps you win a spot. That is great, if you have it go for it.  With all this said I am just agreeing with yahooyahoo post. He/she is not the only person who believes this. MANY residents have told me this. But this doesn’t discourage me to run. I have the passion to help our community. I have always helped it any possible way i can, why not do it in a bigger platform. I almost got all my signatures to submit my application - so excited !!!!! wink 
 I do not believe that one has to spend $30,000.00 to win a Primary or an Election in Maplewood. But I think you may have to spend a little more than $100.00. If you campaign the right way at the very least you will need a new pair of shoes. grin 

Hahahaha I’ll definiltey need a new pair of shoes (*ahem* sneakers) for my campaign wink 

And I agree I do not think I need $30,000 for my campaign but definitely need more than $100. I’m looking forward to raise a few dollars for my campaign wink 

ml1 said:

LOST said:
ml1 said: someone running for office ought to have a few general ideas of what he or she thinks is important.  It's not an outrageous thing to ask for, even at the petition stage of the campaign.
 I'd think that this is one for Capt. Obvious.
 apparently not obvious to author 

I think we need a level playing field here.  Since they are already declared and have the golden nomination,

what have we heard from the other two candidates?  What do we know about their intentions?  What does

Greg have in mind besides being the next Mayor?  I really wish the people of the Township had the power

to vote on that matter and not the TC members.  We really are grown ups and should be given our choice.

And Ms Adams.......I think I read part of her platform had to do with controlling pedestrian traffic on Maplewood Ave.   All of which reminds me of Ms.Trump proposal to control cyber bullying.

I've heard that all of politics is local.   Hopefully we can improve that scenario,

You don't even have to attend TC meetings in person.  The TC meeting this evening starting at 7:30 pm will be televised on cable, live streamed on You Tube, and available on You Tube starting tomorrow.  You will also find previous TC meetings on You Tube in case you want to catch up.  Agendas for tonight's meeting and former meetings can be found on the Official Town Website.  Pay special attention to the first public comment period and the official's reports at the end of the meeting to get a feel for the key issues.

ml1 said:

HarleyQuinn said:
  Im unfamiliar with many things that happens in our town. This is new territory for me. I can’t make an official platform/statement when I am still doing research and listening to the community. This takes time. I do not want to rush and say “I will do this” and disappointment you or “thinks should me like this” when I have but knowledge how things are run. I do not want to lie and promise things I can’t deliver. I want to be 100% sure of what i tell the community. I am in an early stage. Getting signatures and listening to the community. When I am ready believe me you will all know what I want to achieve in maplewood. Be patience with me. If you don’t want to sign I understand, but I am thankful for those who have sign my petition and are willing to wait to see what I have to offer. 
 how about just a few thoughts about what you think is important?  Pedestrian safety? Youth recreation programs? Environmental issues? Police-community relations? Full disclosure -- I won't be signing your petition because I'll be campaigning this fall on behalf of the Democratic candidates. But as I wrote earlier, I think it's best for everyone if the election is contested. So I think it's great that someone wants to run. But I do believe that the answer to the question -- why are you running? -- is one of that any candidate should be able to answer even before they are looking for support and signatures. Not specific promises of what you want to do, but general ideas of what is important to you.  I wish you luck, but if I were an independent voter, I would want more information than you are giving before I signed a petition. 

Thank you for wishing me luck. And good luck to you too in the democratic campaign. Perhaps I’ll bump into you. 

What is important for me ?? Many things.

Just to mention a few:

Development/overcrowding. 

Affordable housing 

Diversity integration 

Pedestrian safety 

Just to mention a few ... 

joan_crystal said:
You don't even have to attend TC meetings in person.  The TC meeting this evening starting at 7:30 pm will be televised on cable, live streamed on You Tube, and available on You Tube starting tomorrow.  You will also find previous TC meetings on You Tube in case you want to catch up.  Agendas for tonight's meeting and former meetings can be found on the Official Town Website.  Pay special attention to the first public comment period and the official's reports at the end of the meeting to get a feel for the key issues.

Thank you Joan Crystal for this info. I will definitely look at prior meetings on you tube. And like you said, pay attention to the first public comment period. 

question, for anyone that knows the answer.

Word on the street is that Lembrich and Adams are running together ?? True ? 

author said:

ml1 said:
LOST said:
 I think we need a level playing field here.  Since they are already declared and have the golden nomination, what have we heard from the other two candidates?  What do we know about their intentions?  What does Greg have in mind besides being the next Mayor?  I really wish the people of the Township had the power to vote on that matter and not the TC members.  We really are grown ups and should be given our choice. And Ms Adams.......I think I read part of her platform had to do with controlling pedestrian traffic on Maplewood Ave.   All of which reminds me of Ms.Trump proposal to control cyber bullying. I've heard that all of politics is local.   Hopefully we can improve that scenario,

ask them.  I can assure you they have very specific ideas and priorities.

ml1 said:

author said:
ml1 said:
LOST said:
 I think we need a level playing field here.  Since they are already declared and have the golden nomination, what have we heard from the other two candidates?  What do we know about their intentions?  What does Greg have in mind besides being the next Mayor?  I really wish the people of the Township had the power to vote on that matter and not the TC members.  We really are grown ups and should be given our choice. And Ms Adams.......I think I read part of her platform had to do with controlling pedestrian traffic on Maplewood Ave.   All of which reminds me of Ms.Trump proposal to control cyber bullying. I've heard that all of politics is local.   Hopefully we can improve that scenario,

Do you know when will they announce it publicly ?? 

they are public officeholders.  anyone can ask them any time they appear in town, or after a TC meeting.  It's not like they're hiding.

ml1 said:
they are public officeholders.  anyone can ask them any time they appear in town, or after a TC meeting.  It's not like they're hiding.

Of course they are not hiding, but even presidents when they go for re election announce to the American people what are they plans or wish to continue to do for the people. 

You said they have specifics ideas and priorities so that is why I ask why we haven’t heard about their platform .. but I guess we will know when we see them in town and ask them directly. 

HarleyQuinn said:

ml1 said:
author said:
ml1 said:
LOST said:
 Do you know when will they announce it publicly ?? 

Nancy and Greg are incumbents running on their records.  Informed voters already know where each of them stands on the issues. Less informed voters can easily determine the incumbents' positions  with a little research.  Candidate's website, candidate profiles in local media, candidate's response to questions asked during the debates will be a good indicator of where each stands on the major issues of the day.  As a challenger, you don't have the advantage of having a record to run on.  Therefore, you need to be up front about where you stand on key issues and share this information with the electorate earlier in the election process.

Ileana:  Not all questions you will be asked on the campaign trail will be about the issues.  You need to be able to answer more personal questions as well.  One question you need to be prepared to answer is how you as a single mom of elementary school age children will be able to attend all of meetings and functions required of a TC member while meeting your family responsibilities.  Greg and Nancy have already demonstrated their ability to do this.  

FYI time requirements for TC members are not limited to the TC meetings held two evenings a month.  Each TC member also serves on a number of boards and committees, some of which can be very time consuming; attends a variety of functions and community meetings, meets with counterparts in other jurisdictions, etc. The number of hours required really add up.

HarleyQuinn said:
question, for anyone that knows the answer.

Word on the street is that Lembrich and Adams are running together ?? True ? 

https://villagegreennj.com/election/adams-lembrich-announce-re-election-bid-maplewood-township-committee/ 

joan_crystal said:
One question you need to be prepared to answer is how you as a single mom of elementary school age children will be able to attend all of meetings and functions required of a TC member while meeting your family responsibilities.  

do male candidates get asked this question?  I don't recall anyone asking this of Lembrich. If anyone does ask this question, I think the appropriate response is that the question is sexist, inappropriate and out of bounds.

ml1 said:

Do male candidates get asked this question?  I don't recall anyone asking this of Lembrich. If anyone does ask this question, I think the appropriate response is that the question is sexist, inappropriate and out of bounds.

From one father to another, I thank you. I was also a custodial divorced father for a time, so this is important to me. I think it's fine for Joan to say to be prepared for the question, and you've provided a good response.

HarleyQuinn said:

ml1 said:
someone running for office ought to have a few general ideas of what he or she thinks is important.  It's not an outrageous thing to ask for, even at the petition stage of the campaign.

Im unfamiliar with many things that happens in our town. This is new territory for me. I can’t make an official platform/statement when I am still doing research and listening to the community. 

Then isn't it rather premature for you to run? Shouldn't you do your research, listening , etc. first and maybe run next year or the year after?

Tom_Reingold said:

ml1 said:

Do male candidates get asked this question?  I don't recall anyone asking this of Lembrich. If anyone does ask this question, I think the appropriate response is that the question is sexist, inappropriate and out of bounds.

From one father to another, I thank you. I was also a custodial divorced father for a time, so this is important to me. I think it's fine for Joan to say to be prepared for the question, and you've provided a good response.

Have any single fathers raising children on their own run for TC?

joan_crystal said:
Ileana:  Not all questions you will be asked on the campaign trail will be about the issues.  You need to be able to answer more personal questions as well.  One question you need to be prepared to answer is how you as a single mom of elementary school age children will be able to attend all of meetings and functions required of a TC member while meeting your family responsibilities.  Greg and Nancy have already demonstrated their ability to do this.  

FYI time requirements for TC members are not limited to the TC meetings held two evenings a month.  Each TC member also serves on a number of boards and committees, some of which can be very time consuming; attends a variety of functions and community meetings, meets with counterparts in other jurisdictions, etc. The number of hours required really add up.

You know, Joan, if you decided to run for TC you'd get far more petition signatures than you would need in the first half hour. And you probably wouldn't have to spend more than $250.00 or more than half the time campaigning as other candidates to win.

I bet Joan knows that, but she's too smart to run for office.

I doubt any custodial father has run for TC, only because we are fairly rare.

LOST said:

Tom_Reingold said:

ml1 said:

not to my knowledge have any of them been single.

But the fact remains that a question that would be illegal and highly inappropriate to ask a woman in a job interview is beyond the pale for a voter or journalist to ask a candidate.

LOST said:

Tom_Reingold said:

ml1 said:

Lost, questions like this should be irrelevant. Every candidate will have personal obligations, careers, jobs, etc. 

joan_crystal said:

This is pretty obnoxious.  

Not only is it obnoxious it is only partially true.  I checked the committee assignments of one TC

person.  He not only belonged to the TC,  he was on 9 other committees.

Now that means that if he were to attend 2 TC meetings a month and 9 other committee meetings a month

he would be out 11nights a month out of 20.  Assuming the average month has 4 weeks of 5 days each.

This does not include a full work week traveling to NYC and back and duties at home with spouse and child or children.Social life ?

None of our sitting TC members come from the planet Krypton or la migra would have grabbed them.

Something does not compute.

Not that Joan needs any defending, but it does seem possible that someone who intends to run for elected office yet does not have any positions staked out might not be aware of the time commitment associated with the office.

I read it as gentle guidance, not cause for cries of sexism.

jimmurphy said:
Not that Joan needs any defending, but it does seem possible that someone who intends to run for elected office yet does not have any positions staked out might not be aware of the time commitment associated with the office.

if anyone actually asks that question of a female candidate, it's sexism.  I'm not saying someone at a town hall might not ask it.  But if a person does, it should be batted down.

I have never known Joan to be obnoxious or not fully truthful and she is not being either now.

I further disagree that it's "beyond the pale"  for a voter to ask any questions as to time constraints on a candidate.

The announced candidate is unknown to almost all of us. If she wants my vote she will have to tell me more.

ml1 said:

But the fact remains that a question that would be illegal and highly inappropriate to ask a woman in a job interview is beyond the pale for a voter or journalist to ask a candidate.

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

if anyone actually asks that question of a female candidate, it's sexism.  I'm not saying someone at a town hall might not ask it.  But if a person does, it should be batted down.

If without identifying his/her gender a person came on MOL and said that he/she is considering running for TC and told us that he she is a single parent raising two or three children, without knowing the person's gender would the question be sexist?

I think some of you are being swayed by your personal feelings about joan.  It it absolutely an inappropriate, sexist question the way it was phrased.  Here it is:

One question you need to be prepared to answer is how you as a single mom of elementary school age children will be able to attend all of meetings and functions required of a TC member while meeting your family responsibilities.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.