Home invasion

I just tweeted at the writer. Will let you know if he tweets back.

18 months in Essex County lockup. If he gets credit for time served his final sentence will be about 3 weeks.

House was sold, believe owners stayed in NJ.

Sadly Rob may not be all that far off given that Christie and the Dems are having a macho man contest on appointments to the Essex Count Superior Court. There aren't enough judges to try cases and plea bargains are even more of a fact of life than they usually are in urban courts.

The writer says the hearing was rescheduled for jan or Feb

Eight judgeships were filled in August. There are still 15 to be filled.

There is nothing wrong with a plea in this case. A trial would be a waste of time and resources with so much evidence against him. I'm willing to bet he'll do some hard years.

From the reporter who worked on the original story:

"The trial never took place, because Custis is claiming he is not competent to stand trial. Both sides have retained psychological experts, and I believe a hearing will take place this month or February to determine his competency."

He won't get far with that defense, but it will delay things and cost money.

I've heard rumors that prisoners at lockup don't tolerate child molesters and that they are likely to take justice into their own hands if they find out one of their fellow inmates is one. Does that apply to women-beaters? If so, he would get his due. Essex County prison prob isn't that kind of prison though..

no they do not treat women beaters the same

Any news on the status of this scumbag?

If they delay this trial much longer he is going to get off with time served.

At last report, he is still a scumbag.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't actually have any information about progress in the case.

Assuming they charged him with attempted murder, which, punching out and throwing a woman down the basement stairs amounts to in my book, he ain't getting out any time soon, even in NJ.

scott_clark said:

Assuming they charged him with attempted murder, which, punching out and throwing a woman down the basement stairs amounts to in my book, he ain't getting out any time soon, even in NJ.

Dont kid a kidder. He might get a lengthy sentence but he won't serve but an eighth of it. Compare his sentences for his many previous violent offenses (up thread) with the minuscule prison terms he has actually served.

Mark my words, this guy is going to kill someone sooner or later.

I thought I posted this here but it was actually on another thread. For those who think that Custis will serve real time for this attack note that, in the year 2001 alone, Custis was sentenced to a total of 21 years in prison. He served a little more than 12 months on those charges.

Shawn Custis' rap sheet:
Dec. 9, 1988*: Burlington - Burglary (4 years' probation)

Feb. 15, 1991*: Burlington - Unlawful possession of a handgun (5 years' probation)

Dec. 18, 1992*: Camden - Burglary (4 years' probation)

Jan. 15, 1993*: Burlington - Robbery and assault (10 years in jail)

Feb. 10, 1998: Paroled

April 22, 1998: Violated parole, returned to prison

Aug. 28, 1998: Released from jail

Jan. 14, 2000*: Camden - Resisting arrest/eluding police (9 years in jail)

April 14, 2000*: Burlington - Theft (5 years in jail)

May 14, 2000*: Gloucester - Burglary (5 years in jail)

Jan. 30, 2003: Paroled

July. 8, 2003: Violated parole and is sent back to prison

Feb. 27, 2004: Paroled

Sept. 22, 2004: Violated parole, sent to county jail

Aug. 26, 2005*: Union - Forgery (4 years in jail)

April 26, 2006: Sent to halfway house

July 10, 2006: Escaped from halfway house

Aug. 8, 2006: Union: Returned to prison

March 31, 2008: Released from prison

June 14, 2010*: Essex - Burglary (5 years' probation)

June 18, 2010*: Union - Burglary (5 years' probation)

April 1, 2011*: Burlington, Essex, Mercer, Middlesex - Burglary (3 years in jail)

Dec. 22, 2012: Released from prison

June 21, 2013: Essex - Charged in Millburn home invasion; incident captured on nanny cam

^^^^ Doesn't matter. The crime in Milburn drew far too much attention and has powerful people advocating for the victim. It's quite different than his previous record in that respect and will be punished much more harshly. He will not be free for a long time.

It's not fair, but it is absolutely typical.

That's optimistic. I'm thinking he'll be out before the end of 2017.

RobB said:

That's optimistic. I'm thinking he'll be out before the end of 2017.

I'm very willing to make a big bet!

Sure, ten thousand bucks?

RobB said:

Sure, ten thousand bucks?

.......and my first-born son.

The very last report that I am aware of was that they were talking about a plea deal so I am thinking yet another assault charge on Custis record and he is out hurting someone else before the end of 2015.

Of course, I would love to see another outcome but history does not fill me with optimism. I mean, he has already spent 18 months in jail which is a sort or personal record for this guy.

In perfect seriousness... why is society allowing this guy to continue living? Hasn't he proven that he's going to keep doing this stuff?

Bullets are cheap and you can re-use a rope.

case said:

In perfect seriousness... why is society allowing this guy to continue living? Hasn't he proven that he's going to keep doing this stuff?

Bullets are cheap and you can re-use a rope.

I don't know about killing him but you do have a point. No matter how much additional time he does end up serving (and I doubt it will be much), it is a statistical certainty that the minute he gets out he is going to attack someone else and, maybe, this time he will kill them. There ought to be something that could be done to stop this slow moving train wreck.

how is it "not fair" that a habitual criminal would be treatly "much more harshly" for a felony, for which there is indisuptable video evidence, leading to reckless if not intentional disregard for human life and endangering the welfare of a child?

In my book this piece of garbage deserves life without parole.

scott_clark said:

how is it "not fair" that a habitual criminal would be treatly "much more harshly" for a felony, for which there is indisuptable video evidence, leading to reckless if not intentional disregard for human life and endangering the welfare of a child?

In my book this piece of garbage deserves life without parole.

Well, please excuse me if I wasn't clear. My point was that it wasn't fair that he's been treated so leniently to this point, but that he will finally be treated harshly now that he's drawn this very negative attention by attacking someone with resources and visibility.

In other words, it is not fair that he hasn't been kept in prison based on his early "career".

Once again our justice system fails us... And people are surprised when others want to take justice into their own hands...

Do you all feel "protected" by the system?

Not me - that's why I say for someone like this the best thing is long term incarceration (where he can beat and be beaten) or a more economical bullet in the back of the head.

How do you know the woman he nearly murdered's family has more "resources and visibility" than any the prior litany of victims this lowlife has affected in the past? FWIW, that section of millburn has modest homes. Not that that matters.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!