Home invasion

One of his last know addresses was Irving Turner Boulevard in Newark. Folks in the neighborhood recognized him and called the police. The thing is, there are many like him recycling in and out of the system.

LP said:

This isn't what I was thinking of but it is interesting:

Philadelphia Inquirer, The : NEW JERSEY / METRO NEWS IN...
‎Philadelphia Inquirer - Sep 18, 1991
Shawn Custis, 20, of Bannard Street, Cinnaminson, was arrested in Camden yesterday and charged with beating a woman in Delran on Monday and pushing ...

Same guy?

Yes. When you do the math on his current age -- 42 -- and the unusual last name it's got to be him. For at least 22 years this thug has been doing all sorts of mayhem, a menace to society.

Channel 7 Eyewitness News:
FBI agents arrested Shawn Custis in the Inwood section of Manhattan Friday evening. He was allegedly hiding out at his girlfriend's home.
As the 42-year-old was hauled off to Newark, that woman's daughter who refused to give her name, explained they had no idea he was allegedly caught on nanny cam punching, kicking, and choking a woman in her home and in front of her scared 3-year-old daughter. The video brought her to tears. She says they didn't see this video because they don't have cable TV.

What about the court that let him out early?

maplewoodphoto said:

What about the court that let him out early?

It wasn't the court. It was likely a parole board.

Shawn Custis, 42, was caught on a nanny cam kicking and punching a woman before running off with her valuables, according to authorities. A neighbor of Custis’ girlfriend at Dyckman Houses in NYC says the alleged attacker twice walked into her apartment. ‘I walked out into my living room, and he was just standing there … Why would he just walk into my home like that? He gave me the creeps.’

The second time he let himself inside, Hernandez’s husband was in the shower.
“He gave off such a bad vibe,” said the husband, who declined to give his name. “He was suspiciously friendly.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/alleged-nanny-cam-beater-entered-homes-neighbors-article-1.1386099#ixzz2XffOKPkH

We got him. End of story. One week. Great job Task force. Agencies working together to get it done. Kudos, all.

For all who are questioning his record: 1. We don't have his sheet 2. We don't know what was negotiated 3. There is "good time/work time" that takes days off of determinate sentence. 4. No supervison by Probation or Parole......Parole supervises Prison returnees, Probations supervises County/local jail unless a mandate to supervise prison parolees. 5. Cuts in the law enforcement budgets....I suffered that in CA. Please don't question law enforcement unless you are really informed from the inside.

This thug who was caught on camera has pleaded NOT GUILTY!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=9158818

Insanity defense, maybe? Or do they have to enter that with the plea?

Can't believe the sheer nerve of this guy - I hope they have his fingerprints all over everything as well as his picture on the videotape. No way any jury will believe a word that comes out of his mouth if they do!

The not guilty plea doesn't surprise me at all.
I think it's safe to say this guy's M.O. is to just say flip you to everyone and everything in society, and this has been the case for many years.
This time he should be locked up for a good long time.

Student_Council said:

Indeed he should but probably he won't.

LP said:

Student_Council said:

Why not? it was a very violent crime and he has a horrible record. He won't go for 10-20 years?

IANAL, but isn't a not guilty plea just sort of standard procedure at this stage? That is, without a plea offer on the table yet, what incentive would he have to plead guilty?

The "not guilty" is almost perfunctory and is generated by the defense lawyers. It is usually done in the hope of getting a plea offer. If you plead guilty, what can you bargain with?

Essex County. A friend of mine lost an uncle to a home invasion. Her uncle was bludgeoned with an alarm clock and then stabbed to death in the face and neck. It was horrific. They caught the guy, even had DNA linking him to the crime, and yet let him plead to lesser charges and IIRC he got about 3 years.

Student_Council said:

LP said:

Student_Council said:

Why not? it was a very violent crime and he has a horrible record. He won't go for 10-20 years?

He might get 10 years but, in reality, that means 5 on the outside. My bet is he's back on the street in three years and back in jail after 3 years and two weeks.

cody said:

Can't believe the sheer nerve of this guy - I hope they have his fingerprints all over everything as well as his picture on the videotape. No way any jury will believe a word that comes out of his mouth if they do!

I just had the frightening thought... what if there is NOT any forensic evidence? Is the video unequivocally clear enough to prove it's him? I'm assuming he doesn't actually say his name or identify himself, so will that ID hold up in court?

My friends boyfriend was riding a grey hound bus in AZ a few years back. Some guy followed him off the bus and for no apparent reason shot in the head. The guy had a list of priors but, by the time was all said and done, the perp managed to plead guilty to weapons charges and walked away with time served and probation.

TarheelsInNj said:

cody said:

I just had the frightening thought... what if there is NOT any forensic evidence? Is the video unequivocally clear enough to prove it's him? I'm assuming he doesn't actually say his name or identify himself, so will that ID hold up in court?
There's also an eye witness.

Actually I think they are going to set an example here. You guys might not realize how far this video went. EVERY single major European Newspaper had it on the front. This wasn't just shocking up in the neighborhood that it happened. It was talked about all over..even here in little Franklin in the Mountains I was asked if I know where this town is.

Now there is a pretty good chance he is still out on parole which will have a big impact on the sentencing. Not only will he also have to serve the remainder of the original sentence but at sentencing the multiple charges filed against him will require to be served consecutively.

http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/44-5.html

So between attempted murder, first degree robbery, second degree burglary and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child I doubt he will see the light of day before 20 years are over. Also attempted murder although not always easy to prove, carries a ten to twenty year New Jersey State Prison sentence with a lenghty period of parole ineligibility (85% of the sentence)

pixigirl said:

Actually I think they are going to set an example here. You guys might not realize how far this video went. EVERY single major European Newspaper had it on the front. This wasn't just shocking up in the neighborhood that it happened. It was talked about all over..even here in little Franklin in the Mountains I was asked if I know where this town is.

Now there is a pretty good chance he is still out on parole which will have a big impact on the sentencing. Not only will he also have to serve the remainder of the original sentence but at sentencing the multiple charges filed against him will require to be served consecutively.

http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/44-5.html

So between attempted murder, first degree robbery, second degree burglary and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child I doubt he will see the light of day before 20 years are over. Also attempted murder although not always easy to prove, carries a ten to twenty year New Jersey State Prison sentence with a lenghty period of parole ineligibility (85% of the sentence)

This sounds more likely. No way this guy's out in 3 years.

I would be really surprised if there's no forensic evidence. First of all, the victim will have medical records documenting her injuries. I imagine they will also trace the stolen property to him. As for the ID, the victim can identify him as the attacker in court and also from the tape. A jury would view the video alongside the defendant sitting in the courtroom. Realistically, there's no way the defense can argue mistaken identity.

I bet he gets a longer sentence because the prosecutor may not want to offer a plea deal and a jury would be very unsympathetic. And ditto what pixigirl said - he probably violated parole, which will make his sentence worse.

See the courts know...this time the world is watching.

Student_Council said:

pixigirl said:

This sounds more likely. No way this guy's out in 3 years.

I SO VERY MUCH hope you guys are right. Time will tell.

I am guessing a few timely letters/emails to the Essex County D.A. stressing our communities concern about this issue might be helpful.

Plus this crime is not out of character for him. His propensity towards violence for women is documented.

His girlfriends daughter must be thrilled to have him out of the house. This couldn't have been a good situation.

There are obviously edited sections in that video. Some stuff might have been to graphic to show the public but with such a beating there is no way there is no forensic evidence/

jerseyjack said:

The "not guilty" is almost perfunctory and is generated by the defense lawyers. It is usually done in the hope of getting a plea offer. If you plead guilty, what can you bargain with?

This is what bothers me the most. What a waste of time and taxpayer resources. Do they really think the can bargain a plea?

andean_angel said:

jerseyjack said:

This is what bothers me the most. What a waste of time and taxpayer resources. Do they really think the can bargain a plea?

Can't you pretty much always bargain a plea? And, honestly asking, is it more a waste of time and taxpayer resources to go through a trial?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.