Home invasion

All speculation is out of line and is completely offensive to the victims of this assault. The Millburn PD is more than capable, I am sure, of asking the right questions.

This offender is going to get what he deserves.

Also some speculation is running toward libel.

We have a wireless camera in the living room. Put it there a while ago when I went back to work after the birth of our son and we had someone watch our son. It allowed me to check in on him from my iphone. Then we used it to keep an eye on the comings and goings of contactors. Now we use it to check in on the dog. We do not have it set to record, but we easily could, and perhaps should. We can also set it so that it takes a picture upon sensing motion. I don't think it is odd. It is a great tool if you plan on having people entering your house and want to keep an eye on things remotely. So are we unhinged? BTW, these cameras are now very affordable and very easy to set up if you have WIFI at home. You can get them on Amazon for about $60 a piece. There is no additional costs as long as you have WIFI at home. Definitely worth having in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W-Network-Camera-Two-Way/dp/B006ZP8UOW/ref=pd_cp_p_0

@pmartinezv, I think it was just considered odd because the woman was home. Or at least, I wondered about that - more in a "wow, what a coincidence/good thing as it will help catch the guy." Do you usually have it on in the room when you're at home with your kids?

It is set up in a corner. We don't turn it off. It is just on. Same thing with the one in his room. If it was set up for watching someone else, you likely went through some trouble to disguise it so it would be a bit of a hassle to turn it on and off. You usually have to either unplug it, or disable it remotely from the router. Either way it is not a quick thing so we just leave it on. Only we have the URL and passwords where you can view what is going on, so we don't see the harm of leaving it on.

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense! We don't have one so I wasn't sure how it worked. I assumed it was something you'd set as you leave the house

Wow - just imagine if you were this woman and had just endured this horrific crime against you and your family. This could have happened to any one of us and how would you feel if you came on here to find your neighbors making baseless speculations about you and your family?

I'm starting to think that spouse is just a troll and we shouldn't be feeding him/her.

eliz said:

Wow - just imagine if you were this woman and had just endured this horrific crime against you and your family. This could have happened to any one of us and how would you feel if you came on here to find your neighbors making baseless speculations about you and your family?

I know your question may have been rhetorical, but if it was me my first action would be to contact an attorney to issue a cease and desist letter to the owners of the website. The identities of the victim and her family are not a secret, and accusations are being made about them.

jeffl said:

I'm starting to think that spouse is just a troll and we shouldn't be feeding him/her.

Amen, brother.

andean_angel said:

stop it, Spouse. Please

TarheelsInNj said:

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense! We don't have one so I wasn't sure how it worked. I assumed it was something you'd set as you leave the house

Yes, me too. Thanks for the clarification @pmartinezv!

The reward has been updated to $20,000:

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2013/06/outrage_over_millburn_home_invasion_and_beating_quadruples_reward_for_suspect.html#incart_river_default

Good. Are they taking up a collection? Because I'll be happy to donate.

meandtheboys said:

Good. Are they taking up a collection? Because I'll be happy to donate.

Same here!

This is in the comments of the article linked by skadave:
Good afternoon, readers:
A few asked whether there was any way to donate to the reward.
In response, Sheriff Armando Fontoura said he was "overwhelmed" and grateful for the outpouring of support for Crimestoppers. However, authorities are hopeful they are close to making an arrest in this case, he said.
Again, that's his response.

---

This was by the reporter timed 22 minutes ago.

Oh GOD FINGERS CROSSED

Hoping to hear an update of his arrest soon! I saw that video and even regretted, it was horrifying and I can't stop thinking about that poor child on the sofa in panic.
It's very unsettling to think such a thing has happened so close. It could've been any of us sahms with young children. I hope this family feels the support of the community and they recover from this terrible episode.

RobB said:

Anyhow, Medeco makes a good dead bolt. My main concern in the door frame though. I think the front and back doors are substantial enough, but I need new strike plates and longer screws.

The side door frame is flimsy. No way around it. It's hidden behind the basement door though, I think a big ugly steel plate will be okay.

A dead bolt is only as good as the wood/frame thats holds it on/in.

Hence the big ugly steel plate.

Did you know that under current NJ law a home invader can be out in under a year? And did you know that if someone enters your home you are legally required to run, NOT defend.
And this doesn't seem to go far enough...

"Increasing punishment for home invasion which calls for a 5-to-10 year prison term, a fine of up to $150,000 and the offender would have to serve at least 85 percent of that sentence"

http://maplewood.patch.com/articles/nj-assembly-responds-to-millburn-home-invasion

I am pretty sure that goes out the window when the violent assault happened.

maplewoodphoto said:

Did you know that under current NJ law a home invader can be out in under a year? And did you know that if someone enters your home you are legally required to run, NOT defend.

"Increasing punishment for home invasion which calls for a 5-to-10 year prison term, a fine of up to $150,000 and the offender would have to serve at least 85 percent of that sentence"

http://maplewood.patch.com/articles/nj-assembly-responds-to-millburn-home-invasion

There is no longer a duty to retreat in your home in NJ. If you can you should purely for safety reasons but if you need to use force to protect yourself and other residents you can, with wide latitude.

Law was changed quite a ways back. The only stipulation is that if you can retreat "in complete safety" you must, but that is an impossible standard to prosecute.

maplewoodphoto said:

http://www.newjersey-legal-guide.com/New-Jersey-Self-Defense.html

Good to know! Thanks! Now excuse me, I have to go finish digging my moat cheese

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.