Last week's snow thread. New thread above ^^

luigi said:

I hear there is another storm coming Sunday?

Very possible

WxNut2.0 said:

Very possible

Snow or a another storm? Gonna need that snowblower fixed if so  tongue wink I dont want to shovel anymore

Huge shout out to the two guys running snowblowers on my block! Each clears the sidewalks on the whole block, one on my side and one on the other.

My snowblower neighbor just moved :-(

jamie said:

My snowblower neighbor just moved :-(

Maybe it's time to BE the snowblower neighbor, Jamie.

the_18th_letter said:

WxNut2.0 said:

Very possible

Snow or a another storm? Gonna need that snowblower fixed if so 
tongue wink
I dont want to shovel anymore

Another snow storm. Far from a guarantee but definitely possible. What does look likely either is a blast of very cold air though.

WxNut2.0 said:

Another snow storm. Far from a guarantee but definitely possible. What does look likely either is a blast of very cold air though.

I consider 7 inches and under snow once you double digits I'm calling it a storm. Today was as rough a shoveling day that I can remember over the last 2 years. I'll keep my ears open on the next, totally unprepared for this one sheesh

I totally call BS on that Millburn number. 12.5" Sshheeee-aaa-iiii-tttt [to quote a line from The Wire]

News12 has a report from Floods Hill - it's packed!

Everybody had masks. 

bikefixed said:

I totally call BS on that Millburn number. 12.5" Sshheeee-aaa-iiii-tttt [to quote a line from The Wire]

NJ.com didn't include the time stamps.  The lower numbers were from earlier in the day.

Latest from NWS:

...ESSEX COUNTY...
BLOOMFIELD                   20.5 IN   1055 PM 02/01   TRAINED SPOTTER
ESSEX FELLS                  20.0 IN   0830 PM 02/01   PUBLIC
WEST ORANGE                  20.0 IN   0800 AM 02/02   PUBLIC
CEDAR GROVE                  19.6 IN   0830 AM 02/02   PUBLIC
1 W SOUTH ORANGE             18.6 IN   1015 PM 02/01   PUBLIC
MILLBURN                     18.6 IN   1017 PM 02/01   PUBLIC
NORTH CALDWELL               17.3 IN   0800 AM 02/02   TRAINED SPOTTER
1 NNE LIVINGSTON             17.0 IN   0950 AM 02/02   PUBLIC

I measured 18.1" this morning but I think there was some compaction between the end of the heavies snowfall and my measurement at 8:00 this morning

cramer said:

News12 has a report from Floods Hill - it's packed!

Everybody had masks. 

low high measurements on our Millburn lawn at 8:40 a.m. were 15 and 18.   

mrincredible said:

Damn kids should be in school and not wasting their time frittering up and down a hill.

smile

Formerlyjerseyjack said: 

Damn kids should be in school and not wasting their time frittering up and down a hill.

smile

“Are there no workhouses?” grrr

metaphysician said:

“Are there no workhouses?”
grrr

Todays blighters show no respect for learning. Why, when I was a 'ute, I had to spend my evenings in my parents unheated attic, studying. My efforts were illuminated by one kerosene lantern. Electricity was not added to the house until 1960, the year I was graduated from high school.

--- and when I asked my mother if I could have another spoonful of gruel, I got a wooden spoon across my knuckles. 

While I was stretching out this morning (very needed after a second round of shoveling yesterday--a lot of water content!) I was watching the weather forceast on Channel 2.  I heard Elise Finch saying that there is a chance--a chance-- of 11+ inches of snow in NYC for Sunday and more to the North and West.  She said the European model was the aggressive one, whereas the GFS was calling for a dusting at most.

I logged onto the NWS sites (Mt Holly and Upton) and it looks like both are somewhat downplaying the Euro model but taking a very cautious approach to Sunday.  Quite a range in outcomes between the models.  But I am nervously reminded that the Euro was more correct on this last storm.......

BTW, reports are that we got 30 inches or so here in Morristown.  I measured 20 inches Monday night while it was still snowing, and another 6 inches yesterday where I had shoveled the night before, but by the time I got out to shovel around 4 PM it had melted down some so I can believe 30.  

Yes, it's still snowing

Wednesday morning 2/3 update.

A few lingering snow showers this morning. Yes this is the same storm. It is finally ending today.

Be careful as the daily melting keeps refreezing overnight, and Friday morning there is a 50/50 chance of freezing drizzle.

Keeping an eye on Sunday/Monday. Models are very mixed on the nature and track of the system, so no idea what's in store yet.

mfpark said:

While I was stretching out this morning (very needed after a second round of shoveling yesterday--a lot of water content!) I was watching the weather forceast on Channel 2.  I heard Elise Finch saying that there is a chance--a chance-- of 11+ inches of snow in NYC for Sunday and more to the North and West.  She said the European model was the aggressive one, whereas the GFS was calling for a dusting at most.

I logged onto the NWS sites (Mt Holly and Upton) and it looks like both are somewhat downplaying the Euro model but taking a very cautious approach to Sunday.  Quite a range in outcomes between the models.  But I am nervously reminded that the Euro was more correct on this last storm.......

BTW, reports are that we got 30 inches or so here in Morristown.  I measured 20 inches Monday night while it was still snowing, and another 6 inches yesterday where I had shoveled the night before, but by the time I got out to shovel around 4 PM it had melted down some so I can believe 30.  

The Euro totally dropped serve on the Sunday system this morning, although the GFS ticked bit more towards us it is still a miss. FWIW, so far this winter the GFS (and especially the beta of the GFS16) has not been half bad for winter storms.

ETA Total for my backyard is now 21" adjusted for compression. This is an unofficial
measurement because one is not supposed to adjust for compression. One is supposed to go out there at midnight when the heavy snow stops and measure, but this one no longer feels the need.

As always, thanks Max and all the other weather weenies!

well, the 47 degree forecast for tomorrow went down to 40.  Sunny on Saturday - wonder how much will melt.   hmm  When we see grass again?  grin  Some icing on Monday night is in the forecast,

According to weather forecasts on ABC and CBS this afternoon, some snow on Sunday has become more likely. 

Flood's Hill rocks...

-s.

I'm losing it. I lost my vaccine slot because of Tuesday's snow, got rescheduled for Sunday and then saw a prediction of snow, then it changed to sunny and today I saw it was back to snow. So will it be open and if so will I sliding all over South Orange Ave to get to Sears. Not fair!

Max! someone is telling me 4-8 inches tomorrow. Are they right?

drummerboy said:

Max! someone is telling me 4-8 inches tomorrow. Are they right?

Probably about that

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!