Endocrinologist? (I found a winner -- thank you!)

@mumstheword, did Kissin give you a reason for taking you off armour? I thought I would try to get in to her partner, Dr Segal, but won't go back to synthroid. If this is a practice wide thing, my going there would be a waste of time.

I also hate that Advani often runs so far behind. If she expects to bill me $50 for missed appointments, then I think I should submit a bill to her for the time I waste in her office.

carolanne said:

@mumstheword, did Kissin give you a reason for taking you off armour? I thought I would try to get in to her partner, Dr Segal, but won't go back to synthroid. If this is a practice wide thing, my going there would be a waste of time.

I asked Kissin why and she said she doesn't believe in Armour. Since I still had symptoms taking Armour, I figured I'd give the Synthroid a try, but I didn't notice any improvement.

If you do go, double check: I don't think Kissin or Segal take any insurance. When I got the $500 bill from Kissin, I submitted it to UHC and they decided the bill should only have been $225 and they gave me 80% of that. Too expensive for my budget.

carolanne said:

I also hate that Advani often runs so far behind. If she expects to bill me $50 for missed appointments, then I think I should submit a bill to her for the time I waste in her office.

I've been saying this for years with everybody: doctors, hair dressers, everybody!

johanna said:

I'm also leaving Dr. Advani's practice. My last blood work her office called to tell me I was "fine" because levels were within range. They did not address the symptoms I described. I saw my GP and her reaction was if you feel this way then you are not fine. She adjusted my medication and is monitoring me until my appointment with a new endocrinologist. And my symptoms went away almost entirely within 24 hours of the dosage adjustment.

This last appointment, one of my thyroid levels was very out of range and when I brought this to her attention she said "it doesn't matter". If it doesn't matter, why did you order the test?

Dear Lord, this is all so disheartening for me to read; is it also for others out there in mol-land? :-(

@ carolanne : what did you do about the visit vs the bike ride sitch?

critterlover said:

Dear Lord, this is all so disheartening for me to read; is it also for others out there in mol-land? :-(

This is nothing new to me in my experience with doctors over the last 20 years. Someone once told me about a book "Screaming To Be Heard": http://www.amazon.com/Screaming-Heard-Hormonal-Connections-Suspect/dp/0871319144/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406052164&sr=1-1&keywords=screaming+to+be+heard

This book helped me realize I'm not alone. I still haven't found the right doctor, but at least I know I'm not crazy!

Here's an excerpt from one of the amazon.com reviews that says it all:

The problem I have found is that too often women are told their thyroid is normal without having the complete thyroid tests done. Of course, what most people, and many physicians, don't realize is that...a 'normal range' on a laboratory report is just that: a range. A given person may require higher or lower levels to feel well and to function optimally. I think we must look at the lab results along with the clinical picture described by the patient...I have a series of more
than a hundred patients, all but two are women, who had a normal TSH and turned out to have significantly elevated thyroid antibodies that meant they needed thyroid medication in order to feel normal. This type of oversight is particularly common with a type of thyroid disease called thyroiditis, which is about 25 times more common in females than males...a woman may experience the symptoms of disease months to years before TSH goes up..."

mumstheword said:

OK, Dr. K's office never returned my calls, so I called Dr. Grover and have an appointment with her on September 10th. Very nice staff, very convenient -- a crosstown bus ride from Penn Station. Thanks again for the referral.

Well, today was my first appointment with Dr. Anjali Grover and all I can say is THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to the folks who recommended her. She made me so happy I almost cried (and I really pulled myself back from giving her a big bear hug). What a smart lady and a perfect communicator. She looked at my list of prescriptions and supplements that I take, went one by one explaining what they do, how/why they are not helping me, what alternatives I have, etc. She spent over an hour talking to me in her office and she brought up all the things I've been bringing up to other doctors over the years before I had a chance to do it -- so I am now vindicated in that no, I am not nuts and I do know what I'm talking about.

She's doing blood tests and I have to have a 9am (not one minute later) cortisol test at Labcorp (ugh). She also wants me to e-mail her weekly with my glucose levels during the day so she can keep track on a regular basis.

I can't wait to hear her plan of action. For once in 20 years I actually have hope that I'm going to lick these problems! Film at 11! question

@mumstheword, I had my first appointment with Dr. Grover today as well!
You are spot on, she is a perfect communicator. So intelligent, thorough and warm. I am excited to learn what she finds/thinks/diagnoses rather than dreading it. She is SO calming.

kmk said:

@mumstheword, I had my first appointment with Dr. Grover today as well!
You are spot on, she is a perfect communicator. So intelligent, thorough and warm. I am excited to learn what she finds/thinks/diagnoses rather than dreading it. She is SO calming.

YAY! Isn't she special???? I have to e-mail her weekly with my glucose levels and we chat back and forth by e-mail all the time (my next face-to-face appointment is in 2 weeks). This way she keeps track of what's going on with me in real time, rather than getting hit with it all at once. I've never had a doctor do this for me (I even said to her, I know you're not getting paid for all these e-mails....and her answer was that she'd much rather know what's happening with me so she can make adjustments in between appointments and not to worry about whether or not she's getting paid.) Again, I've never experienced this kind of care!

I'm glad you're happy with her as well and I wish you lots of good health!

Reviving this thread as I need a new Endo. Thankfully left Dr. Tuscano - Zucker only to have a negative experience with Prus. With Prus, it is more of a poor office management issue (billing three years later, repeatedly ordering the wrong bloodwork) but she was not attentive either (no hands-on check of my thyroid this last visit.) Who are people happy with these days?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.