Colonoscopy Doctor

Hi, wendy. I don't have anyone to compare him with, because so far it was my one and only colonoscopy, but I was impressed by the ease of, and guidance through, my experience with Dr. Michael Margolin in Cranford.

wendy said:

Even if I get a call back I'd like to explore other territory. @ctrzaska do you still recommend Dr. Frazese (spelling may be off)?

@sac do you still recommend Dr. Barrison?  Anyone else, feel free to chime in. I asked them since I know the two posters in person. Thanks all!

I don't know about CT, but both I and my son do.  He spells it like this:

truth said:

Dr. John Franzese in Chatham is still the best.

cramer said:

truth said:

Where does he do colonoscopies?  I see that he is affiliated with Overlook and Barnabas. 

Overlook and a small, very nice and chill outpatient center just off 22 in Mountainside.

I highly recommend Dr. Robert Schuman in West Orange. I have also heard very good things about his partner, Dr. Askin.

Thanks, Max. If you, ctrzaska and truth all recommend him, he must be good. 

Frazese does get excellent ratings at https://www.healthgrades.com/p...  and http://www.vitals.com/doctors/...

GGartrell said:
seaweed said:

i will spare any colorful details, but worth noting for any of you that may be in this situation some day..

the 'easier' prep, which is called prepopik and uses two powder packets consumed several hours apart had no effect on me, so my dr called in the old school nasty stuff to cvs for me, which I just picked up and drank and am pretty certain will work as it did years ago when I had a colonoscopy. The nasty stuff is called gavilyte-c solution which is polyethylene glycol 3350 active ingredient (sounds like antifreeze)

I heard bad things about the powder. My doc prescribed Surprep and it worked like gang busters. 

For my recent (two months ago) colonoscopy, there was no prescription.  It was just a regimen of OTC items - Miralax, Dulcolax and Gatorade.  MUCH easier (and much less costly) than when I had my first colonoscopy a while back!  And that $20 or so was the ONLY cost because the colonoscopy was considered preventive and 100% covered by insurance per the ACA.

truth said:

This.  And to answer your question, Wendy, yes I do. 

sac said:

Miralax, Dulcolax and Gatorade.  

Same doc, same protocol. (And oh, that delicious nap.) It was much less objectionable than I imagined, and I did a 42-mile bike ride the same weekend. Don't get freaked out!

j_r said:

sac said:

Same doc, same protocol. (And oh, that delicious nap.) It was much less objectionable than I imagined, and I did a 42-mile bike ride the same weekend. Don't get freaked out!

That's exactly the protocol Dr. Mogan used and regardless of the doctor I switch to I want to use that as well. So the question to @sac is whether that doctor was the one you mentioned from last year or the one you recently went to. I assume the latter. 

To everyone who chimed in: Thanks so much for your recommendations! I will be following up with many of them to confirm insurance coverage, etc. Much appreciated that you all came back to this thread. grin

wendy - I'm glad that you reopened the thread because I wasn't aware that Mogan was retiring and now I have some excellent recommendations about who to use. 

Ever since my first colonoscopy required drinking an ocean of Gatorade, I can't even look at the stuff!

unicorn33 said:

Ever since my first colonoscopy required drinking an ocean of Gatorade, I can't even look at the stuff!

I am not sure I was actually required to mix the Miralax with Gatorade as opposed to any type of clear liquid actually. I think I found some lemonade that worked as better and I agree with you about the Gatorade.

cramer said:

wendy - I'm glad that you reopened the thread because I wasn't aware that Mogan was retiring and now I have some excellent recommendations about who to use. 

grin Good to hear! This is one of the best things about MOL along with all the good friends I've made because of it.

wendy said:

j_r said:

sac said:

That's exactly the protocol Dr. Mogan used and regardless of the doctor I switch to I want to use that as well. So the question to @sac is whether that doctor was the one you mentioned from last year or the one you recently went to. I assume the latter. 

To everyone who chimed in: Thanks so much for your recommendations! I will be following up with many of them to confirm insurance coverage, etc. Much appreciated that you all came back to this thread. grin

It was the recent one (Shieh), but I wouldn't be surprised if all SMG docs, including Barrison, follow it now.  I really don't know, but the instructions were on SMG letterhead, with the doctor's name, location, etc. filled in.

Thanks to all again for all the advice. I decided to call Dr. John Franzese first and although I have to wait until beginning of October for a new patient appointment the office personnel was incredibly helpful in explaining the process. I even made an appointment for the spouse. Although he recommends the superprep protocol I was assured that he'd be fine with the miralax, ducolax combo instead. I resisted the consult at first given that I know I am due for one this year but understand that a good doctor will require a consult with a new patient. They're sending me a release form for me to send to Dr. Mogan to get the records transferred. So thanks again all.  If the office wasn't as helpful I probably would have then tried sac's recommendations or Dave's. Office helpfulness counts a lot in my book.

cubby said:

I highly recommend Dr. Robert Schuman in West Orange. I have also heard very good things about his partner, Dr. Askin.

I'll let you know. Going to see Dr. Askin on Friday... well, more like, he will see me. I've had one appointment with him and I liked him though.

librarylady said:

Dr. Mogan has announced his retirement. He will no longer be doing procedures, work only three days a week and fully retire in November. My whole family will miss him.

Oh damn..... 

DaveSchmidt said:

Hi, wendy. I don't have anyone to compare him with, because so far it was my one and only colonoscopy, but I was impressed by the ease of, and guidance through, my experience with Dr. Michael Margolin in Cranford.

I also recommend Dr. Margolin.  He has a wonderful "bedside" manner.  I had my third colonoscopy with him and only regretted that I hadn't known about him sooner.  

marylago said:

cubby said:

I'll let you know. Going to see Dr. Askin on Friday... well, more like, he will see me. I've had one appointment with him and I liked him though.

Okay, so I can report that Hanover Endoscopy Center is amazing. Weird building but super-friendly staff and my appointment took place exactly on time. In at 7am, home before 10am, and that's with waiting for my ride. Dr. Askin was great. Don't have to do that again for another five years.

I just had my first yesterday and I cannot recommend this man enough.  He was amazing, so kind and informative and the process was SEAMLESS.    

Dr. Tempera130 Morris Ave
Union    908 851 2770

What impressed me about Dr. Askin was that he has a framed photo of himself with Peter Townsend prominently displayed in his office.  Colonoscopy and endoscopy went off without a hitch, too.

But my guy speaks in a fake ny accent right before you go under.  So there.

Nice to read about so many positive experiences and positive recommendations. Refreshing, because so often we hear negatives.

Now, if only someone would say, "Man, I loved the prep! Most fun I've ever had!"

Yea, not gonna happen.   But these are first world problems.

mommydearest said:

What impressed me about Dr. Askin was that he has a framed photo of himself with Peter Townsend prominently displayed in his office.
unicorn33 said:

Now, if only someone would say, "Man, I loved the prep! Most fun I've ever had!"

I'd gladly lose all to unbind me
I'd gladly give up all I had
To unbind me, I'd suffer anything and be glad

I'd vacate any scheiss just to get through
I'd fast overnight, and I will
To get to: lying naked, stoned and stabbed

I'd call that abstersion
The best I ever had
The best I ever had!

Dr. Schuman plays great music as you go under!

I did not like the prep but the Suprep wasn't so horrible and I was actually laughing every time I had to run even at the "end."  

is there an alternative to the "knocked out" part? I have no interest in any sort of medical sleep. That's the only part that troubles me. I don't care much about the prep or even the process. 

conandrob240 said:

is there an alternative to the "knocked out" part? I have no interest in any sort of medical sleep. That's the only part that troubles me. I don't care much about the prep or even the process. 

I don't like that feeling either so I've always asked for as little a drug as possible. I am told I have spoken during the procedure but have no knowledge of doing that. It's not really a full knock out anyway like when one is truly going under the knife. I do once recall actually seeing seeing the procedure done but that was my first one in Dr. Mogan's office and I was given very little in the way of drugs. It wasn't painful however at all.

conandrob240 said:

Husband was awake and watched his insides on the screen as it was probed.  Don't remember which doc did it but it wasn't Mogan

I don't need to watch! Lol Good to know there are non-drug options. TY

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.