Call from eldest 46 yr old son

Thanks Callista. And IM80, I know our faith is carrying us through all we go through with our sons. May you continue to feel his presence throughout your days.

leighan said:

PeggyC said:

Wow. This is the first real-life example I've heard of the potential of stem cells. I keep wistfully hoping that somebody will find that stem cells can cure some of MY problems (she said selfishly) wink

@PeggyC, we have a 3 yr old friend who was diagnosed 2 months ago with neuroblastoma. They did a stem cell harvest last week and plan to transplant in the near future. Hoping as hard as I can that it works.

Oh, boy. Hoping for the best possible outcome for your little friend. LOL question

Heh. I just feel like chatting. I had thanksgiving meal wit my daughter and my two grandkids last night because she is working crazy hours and having friendsgiving with her friends on Thanksgiving. I will be with my youngest son, new wife and family on thanksgiving. Daughter's youngest son will also be there.

Older son is spending Thanksgiving with his girlfriend.

I just didn't grow up like this. Youngest son's wife has issues with my daughter and she is excluded from thanksgiving. It doesn't break my daughter's heart but it breaks mine.

My mother has Multiple Myeloma. She was diagnosed in July with Stage 3 MM. It was caught very late. She has had 3 rounds of chemo and gotten the protein level (M-spike) to an undectable level. Starting tomorrow, all the test begin to get ready for the stem cell transplant. (own cells) She is having all this done at Roswell in Buffalo -Yes - I have left NJ to spend the winter in Buffalo. She will be having her stem cells collected next week and they will take enough for two transplants. One for now - one for later. The science has come a long way with this disease. There are maintenance drugs now for after chemo, the stem cell transplant (sometimes twice). I am hopeful, that the transplant gives her the time for research to continue its progress towards finding more treatments and maybe even a cure.

Me too leealli. My eldest son has completed his collection and awaits his transplant in January. May we enjoy the success of these endeavors.

OOTG, our daughter has not spoken to us since our son's funeral in May. I didn't grow up like this either and it is heartbreaking.

Oh my goodness IM80. Thankfully I just received a text from y daughter sent to my DIL that will hopefully start the amends process.. It breaks us elders heart to not have the young ones speak in some way. Doesn't it?

Thankfully my daughter recognized how heartbroken I was and is trying to make amends.

My prayer is that your daughter can recognize her distance from you is hurtful. I don't know what keeps you apart yet reaching out in any way may be helpful. It is so worth it. May God bless whatever you try to say.

oneofthegirls said:

Heh. I just feel like chatting. I had thanksgiving meal wit my daughter and my two grandkids last night because she is working crazy hours and having friendsgiving with her friends on Thanksgiving. I will be with my youngest son, new wife and family on thanksgiving. Daughter's youngest son will also be there.

Older son is spending Thanksgiving with his girlfriend.

I just didn't grow up like this. Youngest son's wife has issues with my daughter and she is excluded from thanksgiving. It doesn't break my daughter's heart but it breaks mine.

IM80 said:

OOTG, our daughter has not spoken to us since our son's funeral in May. I didn't grow up like this either and it is heartbreaking.

Truly heartbreaking. Unless someone is a murderer/abhorrent miscreant/child abuser/whatever...
Can't we all put on a nice face, happy heart, slimming pants and get along a few days of the year?

And for all the pertinent health issues,
only hoping for the best for yours...

...magical slimming pants, that'd be enough to make me smile all day no matter what the provocation!
;-) :-D

Although magical slimming pants better have a lot of give and an elastic waist for Thanksgiving!!! I, too, hope for wonderful healing results for all of you.

I'm facing Performance Appraisal tomorrow (my time, Thurs), so I'll just hold that mental mental image!!!!!!

Laura, don't be ridiculous. No one needs slimming pants LESS than you do. smile But I agree about the smiling faces and getting together regardless of the crap that goes on the rest of the year.

I guess I'll be packing my slimming pants for our trip tomorrow, because I don't have the warmest feelings about the in-laws, but sometimes you do it for the spouse, ya know? He's been in New England for me for more than a year. Payback is kind of a beyotch, but it is always best to stay on civil terms where possible.

My mother always wished that my brother and I were closer. I've always wished it, too. Sadly, though, it seems like he and my SIL just don't like me and Jim very much. So, we do the holiday get-togethers and leave them to their own devices the rest of the year, apart for some cool but civil paths crossing here and there. How unhappy that would have made Mom. It makes me kind of unhappy, too, but I don't think I can change it.

Wait... are we talking about the Sisterhood of the Traveling (Magical Slimming) Pants? Must be the middle-aged version of the movie. oh oh

I kept thinking that, too, while continuing to hum bits of the G20Complaints Choir's chorus...! (I had a very curious yesterday)

My daughter is trying to put her big girl sisterhood traveling pants on. I think the new wife has insecurities with the new sil due to how close she and her brother are. My daughter in the past did not respect my son's new relationship and still wanted her brother for her own. I think this is a learning curve for both of them to back down and as Laura says, put on a nice face. My son is put in an awkward position of wanting his sister to respect his loving relationship with his wife. Thankfully, daughter has thrown out the olive branch and maybe trust can be built up in time for Christmas.

IM80, were there unresolved brother sister relationship issues with your daughter? Maybe she is just in pain at the loss of him and can't face it at this time. Her heart must be breaking as well.

Eta: I can't imagine what it would have been like to lose my brother Chas if my Mom and Dad were still alive. Unbelievable pain for all of us.

My daughter had her two brothers to herself for too long. They adored her and treated her as their princess. Now the boys both have wives of their own. She is my wild thing, biking, yoga and plenty of friends - not settling down at all even though she has two boys of her own, 17 and almost 21. 17 year old lives with dad and enjoys his uncle mart. Almost 21 year old lives with me. Her boys love her and visit with her but she is definitely a free spirit. She supports herself now but not interested in a relationship although she gets plenty of offers. She is my wonder child.

PeggyC, you are so funny. And right. Sometimes you do it for Mom, you know?

I tried to do it for Mom's sake while she was still alive. I spent years reaching out to my brother, only to get ignored or run facefirst into ill temper about something. It got to be too painful to keep trying (beating head on brick wall over and over). So now I don't. And my SIL is painfully cool... she says the right things, but I get a very strong feeling she is faking it. And when we were together with her and my Mom, but without my brother, SIL would go silent and sit there looking very much like she wanted to be elsewhere as Jim and I tried to hold up the conversation with Mom. So helpful.

I will do what I can and be pleasant when we do see them, but I don't be staying in this part of CT in order to be near them, that's for sure. And it's a shame. On the other hand, I don't want to move near Jim's family either, because they knock the stuffing out of my introverted needs for quiet. Plus, sarcasm is the language they all speak. Ugh. It's a quandary.

Now I hear you as well peggyC. Though it is different for my daughter and her brothers. I have no idea why the boys love her so much. She knows it.

I guess my daughter will live through the painfully cool moments with her sil.

Good luck tomorrow, guys!

Thanks calista. Wishing you a happy day.

I haven't come back to this blog in a LONG time. But just now I got WONDERFUL news. My son went through a bone marrow transplant of his own stem cells the end of last February. Hospital stay two weeks and has been home with his family cautiously waiting for his immune system to build up again. Using gloves and face mask if he ventured out, not eating any raw foods.

Sean just called when he got back from the Drs today. No more face mask! No more gloves! All of his blood work is normal and he can consider himself cancer free and in total remission!

Thanks to all of you and your wonderful prayers. He and Melissa are going out celebrating tonight. He can even eat a raw salad!

WONDERFUL NEWS!!  Best of everything for you and your family

Woo -hoo!!! Thanks mr.Maplewood!!!

Oh, that is so good to hear. Seems like so much news has been bad lately, so it's all the more wonderful to hear about someone who is doing really well!!! smile

Now I really want the emoticons back so I can applaud properly.

Here you go Peggyc,

Well my own emoticons from iPad didn't print either. No worries. I feel your joy and you feel mine! grin

So very happy to hear the good news!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!