Burger Pix!

Here's the much-touted* GAMBURGER...

* http://www.southorangevillage.com/vc/comments.php?DiscussionID=52463&page=1#Item_1

I must admit to ignorance of another hamburger emporium (in NJ or elsewhere) with the audacity to create a signature burger featuring 3 thick slabs of Taylor Ham...

I cannot now review this stalwart effort, since I've yet to try one. My personal choice is the 1/2 pound "Big Mike", (camera-shy, thus far) an Angus triumph, IMHO.

-s.

So to finish off my Wimpy Wagon story... About 10 years after I left Syracuse, my friend told me that "Mrs. Wimpy" was in the hospital for open heart surgery, with her info in case I wanted to send a card. I bought a simple card, wrote something like "Not sure if you remember me. Get well soon." and mailed it. A few months later, a thank you card arrived. It began "Dear Cheesejaw With Everything And A Coke..."

Burger folks, please consider the following a PSA from "A Hamburger Today"...

-s.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ahamburgertoday/pool/show/

Yet another PSA, this one from the nice folks in Wisconsin's Dairyland, who remind you to put cheese on that burger...

-s.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cheeseandburger.com%2F&h=5ea2b

OK, for $5.50 at the UWS Shake Shack, you can try the latest burger-based competitor for KFC's "Double-Down" Champeenship Belt: The Peanut Butter & Bacon Burger...

I've sad it before: individually, I like all the ingredients, but in concert... I pass.

Still, it's a nice photo, yes?

-s.

Not quite sure what to make of this, so here it is without comment.

yeah - those are kk glazed donuts.

What's not to like? I'd just be a bit worried that the hot ingredients might melt the glaze, rendering the sammich difficult to hold in my left hand while dipping the fries in peppermint aioli with my right...

-s.

Pal's Cabin, Raymond's, Above, The Gate, Indigo Kitchen, Hat City Kitchen

soda, any of these places have shakes?
off the top of your head?

Stony's on Sloan Street has the best shakes in the county.

Of those you've mentioned, the only one that easily jumps to mind as being a logical possibility is Raymond's, but hey: they all serve ice cream, and they all have glasses and spoons, and maybe even blenders, so...

-s.

BTW: Consider my response to be a dispensation granted by an OP who once mistook you for a guy. This is a burger pix thread. please don't push it...

Harrumph. #;0)

Posted By: sodaplease don't push it...

uh, I was just asking for, uhm, a "friend!"

Well...... OK...

-s.

Centovini, a restaurant on Houston Street that's closed, is being taken over by the folks at Lure Fishbar (which is on Mercer Street at Prince), and will open as a burger joint next month. I hope to drop into the new place (named Burger & Barrel) at some point this summer. Here's the cheeseburger currently served at Lure Fishbar (those are fried onions on top, not Krispy Kremes...). What doth the future hold????

-s.

Here's the burger from another hotsy-totsy Manhattan eatery: Colicchio & Sons...

You may enjoy this beauty (topped with Pecorino and Balsamic Onions) only in their Tap Room, which serves an a la carte menu and does seating on a first come, first serve basis. It is open Mon-Thu 5:30PM-10:00PM, Fri-Sat 5:30PM-11:00PM, Sunday 5:00PM-10:00PM.

(Colicchio's Dining Room, in the back of the place, only offers a $78 3-course prix-fixe menu...)

-s.

I didn't read every entry in this thread but a friend told me about a great burger place in Montclair today. Has anyone eaten at Elevation Burgers?

ETA, the pic above this post makes me want to bite my screen. Stop it! The drool is going to short-circuit my CPU!

Yup. Elevation Burger is on Bloomfield Ave; here's a review from 2008 in NJ Monthly:
http://njmonthly.com/restaurantreviews/elevation-burger.html

I doubt the pic will result in any dental implantation on your screen, but here's what all the fuss is about...

-s.

Oh, and here's a cute little sign that sums the place up:

I think that when Martha Stewart was a model in the 60's, she was quite the hottie.

Now... not so much.

BUT: The woman does have great buns.

To wit...

"Homemade Hamburger Buns

- makes 12 -

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups warm water (110°F)
2/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
1/3 cup unsalted melted butter, cooled
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4-ounce packages active dry yeast (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon)
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Canola oil, for bowl
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon seeds, such as sesame, poppy, fennel, or cumin, optional

Procedure
1. Place the warm water, dry milk, butter, and sugar in a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine. Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture, whisk, and let stand until yeast is foamy, about 10 minutes.

2. Add egg, 1 egg yolk, 2 cups flour, and salt; whisk until smooth. Add 2 1/2 cups flour; stir with a wooden. spoon. When mixture becomes too thick to stir, use your hands. Add up to another 1/2 cup flour until dough is tacky when pinched but not sticky. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead for 1 minute. Let stand 10 minutes.

3. Knead dough again until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Punch down dough and divide in half. Cut each half into sixths; form flattened balls. Arrange buns 3 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Cover; let stand until doubled in size, 45 minutes.

4. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Whisk remaining egg yolk and milk; brush egg wash lightly over buns. Top buns with the seeds, if using. Bake until golden and hollow sounding when tapped, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Buns can be frozen in resealable plastic bags up to 2 months"

I like big buns and I cannot lie...

-s.

Thankey, buzzsaw! Here's (Livingston Native) Jason Alexander, when he still had hair...

I still think it was a great idea.

-s.

OK, I know... it's ahi tuna, not beef... deal with it.

-s.

With this post, I believe this thread has jumped the shark. I'm out.

-s.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

...Or not.

Here's The "Paul Prudhomme" at Seattle's Lunchbox Laboratory: 1/2 pound Super Beef patty, Pepperjack Cheese, Lunchbox Onions, 7 pieces of Maple Bacon and K-Paul Burger Sauce (Zesty Burger Sauce) on an organic Essential Baking Company kaiser roll...

("jumped the shark"... what was I thinking???)

-s.

Jackie's is a terrific New American eatery in Silver Spring MD. This is their "Mini-Elvis" burger, with Pimiento Cheese and Skinny Fries...

-s.

And now, from our pals at the AHT Burger Lab, the recipe for **Killer Crispy Stovetop Burgers**, detailing everything, right down to the blend of beef to use...

Since Mrs. Soda's outtatown till Wednesday, I may actually give this a try myself, allowing for a day or so to air out the house afterwards...

Here goes:

***KILLER STOVETOP BURGERS***

- makes 4 burgers -

Note: Make these burgers one at a time, or in multiple pans. Do not attempt to use a griddle or a larger skillet to cook more than one at a time. It's essential that the beef fat collects in the skillet as the burger fries. Use the smallest skillet you own that the burger patty can fit into.

Sixteen ounces of well-marbled chuck or boneless short ribs can be substituted for the meat blend. Meat can also be ground in the food processor by processing semi-frozen chunks (in step 2) a half pound at a time with 8 to 10 one-second pulses until chopped to a rough consistency. Transfer chopped beef to the foil or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and proceed with step 4 as directed.

Ingredients

6 ounces beef sirloin, trimmed of gristle, and cut into 1-inch cubes
5 ounces beef brisket, trimmed of gristle, and cut into 1-inch cubes
12 ounces oxtail, fat and meat carefully removed from bone and trimmed of silverskin, bones discarded or reserved for another use (about 5 ounces of combined meat and fat)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 slices American cheese
4 soft white burger buns, lightly toasted
Pickles chips and sliced onions (optional)

Procedure

1. Place feed shaft, blade, and 1/4-inch die of meat grinder in freezer until well-chilled. Meanwhile, place meat chunks on rimmed baking sheet, leaving space between each piece and place in freezer for 10 minutes until meat is firm, but not frozen.
2. Combine meat in large bowl and toss to combine. Grind meat directly onto parchment or foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
3. Without picking the meat up, divide it into four piles on baking sheet and gently press piles into patties approximately 4-inches wide and 1/2-inch thick. Parries should remain loose and have ragged edges. Season generously with salt and pepper. Using wide spatula, carefully flip patties over (some may fall apart - just push them together again). Season second side with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to use (can be stored on sheet tray covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator for up to 1 day). In general, handle as gently as possible.
4. Heat vegetable oil in heavy-bottomed 8-inch saut

***Did you know:*** May is **NATIONAL HAMBURGER MONTH**!

Just sayin'...

-s.

If you Google "luscious burger", the second image result you'll see is below: these are some of the burgers you can order (for about $10) at Red Robin franchises in Clifton or South Plainfield. If you go to http://www.redrobin.com and register, you can get a free burger on your birthday...

You're welcome.

-s.

Remember Smashburger in Montclair? Here's another opinion...

In Which Our Hero Visits Smashburger from Ozersky.TV on Vimeo.

I finally got a burger at Stony's yesterday. It was *quite* tasty.

There's been another development at Gamburgers... this one potentially life-threatening...

No wonder the guy in the picture has a couple extra chins...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.