BBC Sherlock Holmes Fans

I thought Arthur & George was a bit of a letdown. Slow and not exactly gripping. I had higher expectations because it was Martin Clunes, I suppose, but it was neither as much fun as Doc Martin nor as wildly exciting as Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock, so I think I was bound to be disappointed.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I think it was meant to be dramatic, rather than 'yarn spinning', and I'm not sure how well some of the other actors supported Clunes.

I'd watch it again with D but it hasn't shown up on his list of downloads...

Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ttOXIoTsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nJbr3XpppA

Last night was crisp, extremely witty and literate, and visually stunning but still left me scratching my head.

oh, WOW. Just watched it. Clearly (clear to me, anyway) he spent most of the episode in his mind palace trying to figure out how someone who had shot themselves in the brain could return from the dead. He was on that plane headed for prison after killing the villain from the last episode we saw, and he spent all of a week in prison before being recalled because Moriarty was being seen on TV all over the country. So he had to ask whether Moriarty could still be alive. After all, Sherlock had faked his own death with Molly Hooper's help (he mentions she had to find a body to stand in for him). But I think he concluded that Moriarty had put events in train before his death that are playing out now? And Sherlock will have to deal with the fallout. In his mind, he has never stopped wrestling with Moriarty. 

I didn't even remember why he was on the plane.   I have to go back and look at that last episode.   It appears that at least for now its no longer a series.  We won't see another episode/movie until 2017.  

Dumb beyond words.   This is the shark-jumper for Sherlock. 

Gotta disagree completely, Dave. I thought it was brilliant. I only wish we could expect more follow-ups sooner. The only thing I didn't love was the take on suffragism and the army of women. That was very clumsy and frankly struck me as misogynistic. 

This review explains how I saw this episode perfectly.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/review-sherlock-the-abominable-bride-takes-cliches-and-twists-them-into-genius-20160102

Using voting rights for women as a framing narrative how do the writers end up with no likeable female characters?  

You don't like Mrs. Hudson or Molly Hooper? I even liked Irene Adler. And Mary Watson is a wonderful character. One problem is that Conan Doyle designed Holmes as a hardcore mysogynist. It must be difficult to be true to that beginning in spirit without creating one-dimensional female characters.

Hi, I feel Sherlock dislikes all gender equally, except for Irene, Molly, Mary, and likes them not noticing their female-mess.    Would anyone be interested in reading the stories this summer, and watching Sherlock and another favorite on YouTube, the Russian, most recent, Sherlock Holmes TV show? I also recommend The Sniffer on Amazon Prime. Then some meet up discussions in the fall?

Shoot. I would have loved that, but moved to CT three years ago.  LOL 

Ack, not -mess but -ness. Dang autocorrect.

That was actually an awesome autocorrect-not.  oh oh 

Lovers of Sherlock rejoice! Season Four is nigh! Actually it looks like it already started but they are still showing Episode 1 and Episode 2 premieres this week.

I have the DVR programmed. Can't believe I almost missed this one.

mrincredible said:

Lovers of Sherlock rejoice! Season Four is nigh! Actually it looks like it already started but they are still showing Episode 1 and Episode 2 premieres this week.

I have the DVR programmed. Can't believe I almost missed this one.

Where and when? I just found this thread!

The first episode is playing on WLIW in the wee hours on the 7th I think. It must have started last week on WNET.

You can also watch on PBS.org.

Sunday 1/1 at 9

Sunday 1/8 at 9

Sunday 1/15 at 7

WNET 13

Thanks everyone! The game is afoot!

Cumberbatch Sherlock says "The game is on". cheese

Morganna said:

Thanks everyone! The game is afoot!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!