Popular Comments

joanne
Discussion: Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

Devastated to read of the death of the painter and writer of Babar, the elephant king books. Laurent de Brunhoff, 98 years, died at home in Florida.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/24/laurent-de-brunhoff-author-of-babar-childrens-books-dies-at-98
Babar was created by his father Jean, and Laurent decided to continue and expand the immersive children’s series. Yet it never seemed merely a child’s picture book with a brief story - instead, each book could capture your imagination and lead you into a colourful world with magical playful animals, luxurious plants scenting the air, and wonder on every page. 
Very glad for both Jean and Laurent, and their beautiful creations. Children’s librarians around the world will treasure Babar the Elephant King, and comfort him and his fans. 

Like  6 Likes
max_weisenfeld
Discussion: April weather forecast

To be perfectly clear, being right 50% of the time is essentially random guessing

Like  5 Likes
chalmers
Discussion: The Seth B, Hijab case ---

tjohn said:

Makes you wonder what could have happened if everybody had led with de-escalation and mediation before going nuclear.

I don't recall Ms. Herman "going nuclear." Seems like the fallout was thrust upon her.  

Like  4 Likes
marksierra
Discussion: How To Park Like a Tool

soda said:

-s.

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by...

Like  4 Likes
marksierra
Discussion: Inconsequential Chat

Yes, yes. I know.

We're told from childhood that we shouldn't play with our food.

However, (not) in that vein, may I present Sausage Henge!

Like  3 Likes
jimmurphy
Discussion: The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

3rd QB in a row today! Pangram was last word and a doozy.

Like  3 Likes
tjohn
Discussion: The Seth B, Hijab case ---

Makes you wonder what could have happened if everybody had led with de-escalation and mediation before going nuclear.

Like  2 Likes
PVW
Discussion: The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

I suppose this thread is as good a place for this as any. So this morning I was on the subway, standing at the center pole and looking down at my phone. Catching up on MOL among other things -- I'd only had time for a very quick glance through some posts that had come in overnight in early morning and had jotted off something quick before headed out the door. Then I noticed a standing guy yelling at a seated woman. I didn't catch what it was all about, but she apparently had said something he didn't like and was reacting with a great deal of disproportionate anger, calling her names, etc. So I just kind of shuffled my feet to subtly change position, so that I was between them, breaking their line of sight to each other, but still looking down on my phone so as to seem oblivious, like I was just shifting position and unintentionally ended up between them. Sometimes a tiny nudge is enough to disrupt a flow and send it a different direction. Train stops, guy got off, everyone went on with their morning.

I was kind of curious what the woman had said that ticked him off so much -- but then again, when people react like that, there's usually other stuff going on in their lives. I suppose any of us can find ourselves suddenly the target of unreasonable, over-the-top anger, in subway cars -- and other venues. Best course of action is probably to disengage, de-escalate, and hope that whatever issues are at play everyone involved can find the support they need to work through them.

Like  2 Likes
drummerboy
Discussion: Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news & Bible verses

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

"most simplistic of all beliefs"

what?

That’d be atheism. Nothing requires less thought.

well, no.

choosing to believe in god requires significantly less. in fact, thought gets in the way.

Like  2 Likes
The_Soulful_Mr_T
Discussion: Amazon delivery is getting sloppy, stuff is arriving days after the posted "delivered by."

Even though I loathe it in some ways, I find Amazon much more together and efficient than other sources. I ordered some glass shelves from eBay and they never arrived. I didn't order from Amazon because they were $5 more on Amazon.  I cancelled the eBay order and ordered on Amazon which had them to me in 48 hours. The cancellation was acknowledged by eBay and my credit card account received the refund from eBay. Now, more than a week later, I'm getting notices that the original order from eBay will be delivered this afternoon by FedEx. Does eBay's right hand know what its left hand is doing? Methinks not. 

Like  2 Likes