Popular Comments

joanne
Discussion: Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

Devastated to read of the death of the painter and writer of Babar, the elephant king books. Laurent de Brunhoff, 98 years, died at home in Florida.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/24/laurent-de-brunhoff-author-of-babar-childrens-books-dies-at-98
Babar was created by his father Jean, and Laurent decided to continue and expand the immersive children’s series. Yet it never seemed merely a child’s picture book with a brief story - instead, each book could capture your imagination and lead you into a colourful world with magical playful animals, luxurious plants scenting the air, and wonder on every page. 
Very glad for both Jean and Laurent, and their beautiful creations. Children’s librarians around the world will treasure Babar the Elephant King, and comfort him and his fans. 

Like  6 Likes
max_weisenfeld
Discussion: April weather forecast

To be perfectly clear, being right 50% of the time is essentially random guessing

Like  5 Likes
chalmers
Discussion: The Seth B, Hijab case ---

tjohn said:

Makes you wonder what could have happened if everybody had led with de-escalation and mediation before going nuclear.

I don't recall Ms. Herman "going nuclear." Seems like the fallout was thrust upon her.  

Like  4 Likes
marksierra
Discussion: How To Park Like a Tool

soda said:

-s.

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by...

Like  4 Likes
jimmurphy
Discussion: The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

3rd QB in a row today! Pangram was last word and a doozy.

Like  3 Likes
marksierra
Discussion: Inconsequential Chat

Yes, yes. I know.

We're told from childhood that we shouldn't play with our food.

However, (not) in that vein, may I present Sausage Henge!

Like  3 Likes
jamie
Discussion: So we gets a letter. Homeowners Ins applied for a 25% rate increase. W.T.F.?

I had a garage roof damage from a branch - premium went up to $3,887/yr with Naragansett Bay.

Just worked with Goosehead insurance in town and they found a policy with Progressive for $1,371.

Like  2 Likes
nohero
Discussion: The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

So, the next time you scratch your head and wonder how/why DJT retains his hold on so many voters across America, remember today.

I don't wonder.  Lots of people are full of hate and dumber than a rock.

Like  2 Likes
ml1
Discussion: The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

I was also -5 when I gave up. Could have got 4 of them if I persisted. But I wasn't getting "cloche" if I stared at it all night.

Like  2 Likes
drummerboy
Discussion: The Seth B, Hijab case ---

This story infuriates me so much. This poor teacher has been so victimized. And for what,exactly?

just shameful

Like  2 Likes