Wordle daily word puzzle

Today's was a toughie for me.

drummerboy said:

I managed to get it. But I will say at one one point I guessed a kind of unusual word that was incorrect but it was in the vocabulary of the game. I was surprised because I thought the game was originally set up with a bunch of less common words left out. 

I wonder if the Times is letting some more esoteric words into the game. Ultimately my oddball guess was only one letter different from the correct answer so my storehouse of unusual words in my brain served me well today. 

seems like every day I'm guessing.  And guessing wrong.  Today after my first word I had the middle three letters figured out.  Two possible correct answers.  Of course I guessed wrong on the first one.

Not to hijack, but has anyone here tried Semantle? I got it without an assist for the first time today, though I haven't been going all in. Too many time sucks out there!

@zucca,

I’ll try it.  Link please.

TIA

@zucca,

Tried it.  ‘Rules’ are way tooooo complicated.  Didn’t really warm up to it.  I’ll probably try one more time.

mrincredible said:

drummerboy said:

I managed to get it. But I will say at one one point I guessed a kind of unusual word that was incorrect but it was in the vocabulary of the game. I was surprised because I thought the game was originally set up with a bunch of less common words left out. 

I wonder if the Times is letting some more esoteric words into the game. Ultimately my oddball guess was only one letter different from the correct answer so my storehouse of unusual words in my brain served me well today. 

I don't know for sure, but I think that more words are accepted as guesses than are in the list of solutions - at least for the original Wordle ... not sure what the NYT has done to it in that regard.

Sorry about word #3 today - I really have no control over these words:  I had to look up the definition of it - fun word to know though.

JamieSpace Jumble Results
Day #69

Word 1 - Solved in 4 tries in: 0 minutes 20 seconds
Word 2 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 1 seconds
Word 3 - Missed in: 3 minutes 46 seconds
Word 4 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 31 seconds
Word 5 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 3 seconds

Completed today's jumble in: 7 minutes 41 seconds

Try it out! https://jamiespace.com/jumble.php

I always try to finish in the 3 minute range.

a wordle for music

https://www.heardle.app/

though the server seems to be bogged down right now.

Well, my streak is over. My dream of being the Wordle World Champion* are dashed. 

*Not a real thing

yeah, I missed today's too. 4 letters by 3rd guess but couldn't get the first letter.

Got it in four. Had last four letters by the second guess and it still took me two more guesses. I got lucky.

drummerboy said:

yeah, I missed today's too. 4 letters by 3rd guess but couldn't get the first letter.

that’s exactly what happened to me.

I can see how that would happen. The first letter was within my second guess' word. So, that reduced the ambiguity - and I got it in 4.

Yeah, the first letter was the bugaboo. (bugaboo?)

I did manage to get it in 6 today.  Because my terrible first three guesses eliminated a lot of possibilities once I got the last 4 letters.

4 days in a row for me (all in 3 words) a personal best

(streak over today)

I had four letters in the right places by the second guess!  I was feeling pretty confident but then it took me three more guesses. I was starting to get a little anxious because I realized there were more possible words left than I had guess attempts for. 

mrincredible said:

I had four letters in the right places by the second guess!  I was feeling pretty confident but then it took me three more guesses. I was starting to get a little anxious because I realized there were more possible words left than I had guess attempts for. 

On the second guess, I had all 5 letters, but all in the wrong places. So, I just re-scrambled them until I found another real word. Got in 3.  (You can try to guess second word by rescrambling the Wordle answer and getting another real word that has every letter in a different place from that Wordle word.)

sprout said:

On the second guess, I had all 5 letters, but all in the wrong places. So, I just re-scrambled them until I found another real word. Got in 3.  (You can try to guess second word by rescrambling the Wordle answer and getting another real word that has every letter in a different place from that Wordle word.)

Hm. I bet I know what word you had for your second guess. But I don’t want to give it away here.

My first guess gave me three letters in the correct positions and one correct letter in the wrong position. So I was quickly able to establish where I needed to put that fourth letter, and then start guessing what should be the fifth letter.

mrincredible said:

sprout said:

Hm. I bet I know what word you had for your second guess. But I don’t want to give it away here.

My first guess gave me three letters in the correct positions and one correct letter in the wrong position. So I was quickly able to establish where I needed to put that fourth letter, and then start guessing what should be the fifth letter.

With all five letters, there are at least five common words using today's letters. 

KarenMarlowe said:

mrincredible said:

sprout said:

With all five letters, there are at least five common words using today's letters. 

Ah... You're right. I was able to find five combinations making common words, out of which two had every letter in a different place than the Wordle word.

Hm. Let me try encoding the answer so as not to spoil it. 

If the answer was 12345, the other arrangements that form five letter words that I can come up with are:

Then there’s 14532 which seems obscure. What am I missing?

Crap i just came up with it. 54213

mrincredible said:

Crap i just came up with it. 54213

yup

Okay.  Put your money with your mouth is.  I’d guess I’m absolutely average at this game.  Mostly 4s.  Whatcha got?

Pretty similar. I wonder what the stats are in general. 

I had a lucky streak of 2's previously.  Today I rushed through it an made a couple of mistakes (and got the "Whew" notification from Wordle when I finally got it in 6).

Help please!!  I had been playing Wordle on the original website (just left the tab open), BUT just now I got impatient and hit refresh to get the new Friday puzzle.  Now the NYT website comes up, but the game does not load - just a blank white screen. 

I have tried accessing the old website, but it just sends me along to NYT -- and -- nothing....  Tried the NYT Games section -- no reference to Wordle that i can see.  Tried the search function on the NYT home page, got a Wordle icon, clicked on Play Wordle -- and -- nothing....

I have a Times subscription and games subscription, and am logged in.  Windows 10, Firefox smirk! gulp!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.