Wordle daily word puzzle

drummerboy said:

took me six today

I wonder if the Times has changed the algorithm for picking the next word to pick harder ones.

I actually don't find these type of words difficult, just frustrating because there are a whole lot of rhyming words that could fit.  Today after two rounds I had it narrowed down to 5 possibilities and I was able to eliminate one letter from my previous word.  After that it's just guessing among 4 possibilities, not reasoning or trying to comb your memory for words.   

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

took me six today

I wonder if the Times has changed the algorithm for picking the next word to pick harder ones.

I actually don't find these type of words difficult, just frustrating because there are a whole lot of rhyming words that could fit. ...;

that's what makes it difficult. they may be picking words that fit that characteristic.

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

took me six today

I actually don't find these type of words difficult, just frustrating because there are a whole lot of rhyming words that could fit. ...;

that's what makes it difficult. they may be picking words that fit that characteristic.

I guess we disagree on what it means to be "difficult."  To me, knowing that it's one of four words and just guessing isn't difficult.  It's more exasperating to me.  I'd say making it more difficult would be using words that are in less common usage.  Double letters make it more difficult (how many tries would it take to get "queue"?).  Unusual letter combinations would make it hard.  I find having to guess just flat out annoying cheese

to me difficult means it's harder to find the right answer.  cheese

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

took me six today

I guess we disagree on what it means to be "difficult."  To me, knowing that it's one of four words and just guessing isn't difficult.  It's more exasperating to me.  I'd say making it more difficult would be using words that are in less common usage.  Double letters make it more difficult (how many tries would it take to get "queue"?).  Unusual letter combinations would make it hard.  I find having to guess just flat out annoying
cheese

I agree.  That's why I don't restrict myself to "hard" mode although I often play that way.  I would rather reason out the word, often by playing a word that I know is wrong but will rule out more letters, than just guess.

sac said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

took me six today

I guess we disagree on what it means to be "difficult."  To me, knowing that it's one of four words and just guessing isn't difficult.  It's more exasperating to me.  I'd say making it more difficult would be using words that are in less common usage.  Double letters make it more difficult (how many tries would it take to get "queue"?).  Unusual letter combinations would make it hard.  I find having to guess just flat out annoying
cheese

I agree.  That's why I don't restrict myself to "hard" mode although I often play that way.  I would rather reason out the word, often by playing a word that I know is wrong but will rule out more letters, than just guess.

I actually find it easier to play the hard mode, but I don't guess "adieu" and then "sport." I go with whatever word I feel like and then go from there. Today, I got it in four, but I feel as though I was rash in my third guess. Should have had it in three.

KarenMarlowe said:

sac said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

took me six today

cheese

I actually find it easier to play the hard mode, but I don't guess "adieu" and then "sport." I go with whatever word I feel like and then go from there. Today, I got it in four, but I feel as though I was rash in my third guess. Should have had it in three.

I've been switching up my start words but I'm gravitating toward words with 2 vowels and 3 commonly used consonants.  STAIR was a good starting word today.  I got the answer in 3 tries grin 

The thing about Wordle that I think makes it so popular is that it's kind of hard NOT to get it by the 6th try.  By the time you get through 5 rounds, there aren't many letters left that could plausibly be used in the 6th attempt.  So far my most common result is to get it right in 4 tries.  And I'm not kidding myself that it's because I'm really smart.  It's just that most days there just aren't too many possibilities that remain after the 3rd attempt.

and for some weird reason, the NYT wiped out my entire Wordle history today.  So I'm 1 for 1.

ml1 said:

and for some weird reason, the NYT wiped out my entire Wordle history today.  So I'm 1 for 1.

This happened to one of my kids who had a 100% streak going.  I had already been taking screenshots daily of my Wordle (with the words) and now I'm also doing the same with my stats each day.

sac said:

ml1 said:

This happened to one of my kids who had a 100% streak going.  I had already been taking screenshots daily of my Wordle (with the words) and now I'm also doing the same with my stats each day.

If you play Word Master - https://octokatherine.github.io/word-master/ -  you can see how you're going as far as your current streak is concerned.

You are, in effect, playing against yourself, but it's still gratifying to get a long streak to work against.

The best I've managed to score so far is 40 wins straight!  (And then I blew it!)

Not to brag, but…

Okay yeah I’m bragging. 

things to explore. read the twitter thread for more.

I do wordle, spelling bee, mini crossword, daily jumble and a few other games. Kinda addicted to puzzles…

drummerboy said:

things to explore. read the twitter thread for more.

My JamieSpace Jumble results - timer start when the page loads - I'll add a visual stopwatch one of these months - but it's not too easy to do.  I also may penalize and add a minute to the time if you missed a word.  Looks like a number of you out there are playing it!  grin  2 & 4 were a bit tricky today.

JamieSpace Jumble Results
Day #57

Word 1 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 4 seconds
Word 2 - Solved in 5 tries in: 0 minutes 45 seconds
Word 3 - Solved in 5 tries in: 0 minutes 41 seconds
Word 4 - Solved in 4 tries in: 0 minutes 31 seconds
Word 5 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 19 seconds

Completed today's jumble in: 4 minutes 20 seconds

Try it out! https://jamiespace.com/jumble.php

-----------------------------------------

Here's my wordle result for today:

Wordle has been a pain in the neck lately.  Another day of guessing among 3 possible solutions.

ml1 said:

Wordle has been a pain in the neck lately.  Another day of guessing among 3 possible solutions.

This was definitely one for using a couple of guesses to eliminate letters.  I got lucky after the first two such guesses, but it won't post here LOL

ETA - I figured out that I could screenshot and then save to JPG

Always fun when your leading guess gives you NOTHING. 

I got nuthin in the first two lines. But canceled out enough letters to guess correctly at the 4th try.

Nothing and then wrong guesses. 

jeffl said:

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdSmBW3s/

I didn’t realize TikTok was doing documentaries now. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdSmBW3s/

funny. 

On the one hand I’m kind of a pr@ck for mocking all of my FB friends who post their daily (DAILY!) Wordle results, but c’mon!!   WTF cares?  Post that you can’t get it in six   That’s the only thing that’s notable  

The negative reactions to people posting their Wordle results on social media are kind of baffling to me.  It’s a minor little achievement, people feel like sharing and it’s a silly little picture of colorful squares. 

I wonder how many of the people who deride those who post their Wordle results are living in a glass house. Like some of them are the same people who post about how “we’re the best!!!” when a local sportball team wins a game. How is that socially acceptable when actually posting about a minor intellectual victory is to be made fun of? 

mrincredible said:

The negative reactions to people posting their Wordle results on social media are kind of baffling to me.  It’s a minor little achievement, people feel like sharing and it’s a silly little picture of colorful squares. 

I wonder how many of the people who deride those who post their Wordle results are living in a glass house. Like some of them are the same people who post about how “we’re the best!!!” when a local sportball team wins a game. How is that socially acceptable when actually posting about a minor intellectual victory is to be made fun of? 

I’m guessing there is no correlation between people like me who joke about daily Wordle results and people who post “we’re the best” after a local sports team wins.

But seriously, I mean no offense with these kids of posts. Just seems silly to me.  But to each his own. You’re right.  I shouldn’t mock.. Apologies. 

I only post my results within discussions about Wordle. I figure anyone reading those are actually interested. On my own FB or Twitter feed, not so much. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.