Why our party is in trouble

Well, since this isn't about young Democrats anymore, I'll throw in my libertarian friend who foams at the mouth if anyone mentions a gun regulation while also wanting the death penalty liberally applied.  That's some big state stuff right there.


we don’t seem to have the super fans like we had when Obama/Biden ran, or is it that people just don’t want to come across as overly enthusiastic about our candidate? 
I stumbled across this superfan…local guy Adam Reid. 

http://www.adamreid.tv/barry-joe-1


Jaytee said:

we don’t seem to have the super fans like we had when Obama/Biden ran, or is it that people just don’t want to come across as overly enthusiastic about our candidate? 
I stumbled across this superfan…local guy Adam Reid. 

http://www.adamreid.tv/barry-joe-1

I like the featured blurb: "'It’s basically Jonny Quest meets Quantum Leap if Jonny and Hadji were actually former Democratic leaders and the entire Hanna-Barbera writing staff was on mescaline during development.' - VICE"


DanDietrich said:

Well, since this isn't about young Democrats anymore, I'll throw in my libertarian friend who foams at the mouth if anyone mentions a gun regulation while also wanting the death penalty liberally applied.  That's some big state stuff right there.

That's a classic example of what the Libertitarianism is all about - "Government powers are limited to those things that I want the government to do".


The message of this article from back in May continues to be hugely important to Democrats, imo.  Totally ceding those voters who don't *currently* vote D, as advised by some here on MOL (people i otherwise enjoy and respect) and practiced at least in some cases by the D Party, is a terrible look, undemocratic, and made even more dangerous by the increasing misalignment the Senate and the electoral college vs. the views of the overall US population.  Not to mention state legislatures....

(link should be open to all)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/02/opinion/democrats-rural-america.html?unlocked_article_code=jexfvsZAyBDVBK6OIHC4RSfv0BA-KOavDo9In-Prx2KGzIQuXrRkLlXQECb9rSrBLE0UPSQaK7eryBuhR24kIC_oJn4v7waFO52VedSzSpqXjlU9FQ2bq2LjQ8DJG3iT53-I2mbMS9uNzmSHtm92-uEoC6iqeur6OtFsUItvNwhPiM8ay1VqF2AYFB1wdZKlS7Q-J17YCkT_EfzuHW6a25gDBJgaJOsU8lHJMntyov2gu8Z3ecl4NuzdtY_ydclyuiRlcHBidqpl792Jmu9-wUDwQmajIvuowZ-wzoMoeR4Np66gXffSoi_r4f8DAIiHsQ6whp23ea_l5ziSjqTepzo&smid=share-url


There's a strong argument to be made that the things the Dems would need to do to lure back rural MAGAs are exactly the sort of things that fuel minority voter apathy.  I won't say that luring uneducated whites back to the party is impossible but it seems likely that any attempt to do so will cost Dems more than it will benefit them.


mjc said:

The message of this article from back in May continues to be hugely important to Democrats, imo.  Totally ceding those voters who don't *currently* vote D, as advised by some here on MOL (people i otherwise enjoy and respect) and practiced at least in some cases by the D Party, is a terrible look, undemocratic, and made even more dangerous by the increasing misalignment the Senate and the electoral college vs. the views of the overall US population.  Not to mention state legislatures....

(link should be open to all)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/02/opinion/democrats-rural-america.html?unlocked_article_code=jexfvsZAyBDVBK6OIHC4RSfv0BA-KOavDo9In-Prx2KGzIQuXrRkLlXQECb9rSrBLE0UPSQaK7eryBuhR24kIC_oJn4v7waFO52VedSzSpqXjlU9FQ2bq2LjQ8DJG3iT53-I2mbMS9uNzmSHtm92-uEoC6iqeur6OtFsUItvNwhPiM8ay1VqF2AYFB1wdZKlS7Q-J17YCkT_EfzuHW6a25gDBJgaJOsU8lHJMntyov2gu8Z3ecl4NuzdtY_ydclyuiRlcHBidqpl792Jmu9-wUDwQmajIvuowZ-wzoMoeR4Np66gXffSoi_r4f8DAIiHsQ6whp23ea_l5ziSjqTepzo&smid=share-url

oh, poo.

No one is ceding "voters who don't *currently* vote D". What they are doing is refusing to pander to these voters by giving up their core values. And thereby alienating their base.

The authors of that piece are selling a book. Some of their arguments are just laughable and simply ignore reality. They shouldn't be taken seriously.

Read this to see some examples.

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2022/05/the-narcissistic-fragility-of-white-rural-america

The art of getting someone's vote is hard. You've got a population that will never, ever vote for you, and a population that will always vote for you. The third population, where elections are won, is an amorphous blob of people - some of whom will vote for Obama in one election, and Trump in the next. That's nuts. How do you craft a message that doesn't alienate your base, and yet appeals to this type of voter? It's practically impossible, especially since it's very hard to even discern what that voter wants. Mostly because they barely know what they want in the first place. Harsh maybe, but it's true.

The bottom line is to be suspicious of anyone pretending to have the "answer" to appeal to these voters. Especially if it's a kid whose experience is campaigning in one of the most unrepresentative states in the country, Maine.

ETA: BTW, Maxmin, (funny name) won all of 12,806 votes in her last election, winning by about 750 votes. She is not exactly an electoral powerhouse. If you ask me, she kind of has some gall lecturing the party about how to get votes.


drummerboy said:

Terp said this:

"In the face of all this, Ron DeSantis swam against the current. He actually read the studies and opened his society up."

Perhaps the most politically naive statement on MOL in the past year.

Florida is tied for the second highest COVID death rate (per 100,000 people) in the United States.


nohero said:

terp said:

I said that I haver reservations about him.  Here's the thing: My number 1 issue has always been personal liberty.  And I have felt that liberty under attack for some time.  Read back on this board and you will see that I consistently argue in defense of liberty and against the power of the state. 

Here's the thing though: I have never so viscerally felt my liberties infringed as I have over the last couple of years.  ...

Ron DeSantis isn't "pro-personal liberty", he's "pro-what-do-my-white-people-want".

You don't have to worry about voting or censorship, so you wouldn't have a problem if DeSantis makes America like Florida.

DeSantis is a fascist.  The fact that some people believe he's pro-personal liberty means that DeSantis's propaganda campaign is working, which is really scary.


GoSlugs said:

There's a strong argument to be made that the things the Dems would need to do to lure back rural MAGAs are exactly the sort of things that fuel minority voter apathy.  I won't say that luring uneducated whites back to the party is impossible but it seems likely that any attempt to do so will cost Dems more than it will benefit them.

The Dems just won Alaska, so it appears rural America is getting the message.


dave said:

GoSlugs said:

There's a strong argument to be made that the things the Dems would need to do to lure back rural MAGAs are exactly the sort of things that fuel minority voter apathy.  I won't say that luring uneducated whites back to the party is impossible but it seems likely that any attempt to do so will cost Dems more than it will benefit them.

The Dems just won Alaska, so it appears rural America is getting the message.

in the first round of voting, GOP candidates got 60% of the vote. It's likely the only message to take from that election is that most Alaskans are as fed up with Palin as the rest of the country.


ml1 said:

dave said:

GoSlugs said:

There's a strong argument to be made that the things the Dems would need to do to lure back rural MAGAs are exactly the sort of things that fuel minority voter apathy.  I won't say that luring uneducated whites back to the party is impossible but it seems likely that any attempt to do so will cost Dems more than it will benefit them.

The Dems just won Alaska, so it appears rural America is getting the message.

in the first round of voting, GOP candidates got 60% of the vote. It's likely the only message to take from that election is that most Alaskans are as fed up with Palin as the rest of the country.

But since it was ranked choice voting, we know that more Alaskan voters chose the Democratic candidate than the other GOP candidate, Begich.


But had Belgic beaten Palin in the second to last round, I bet he would have won the election. 


Steve said:

But had Belgic beaten Palin in the second to last round, I bet he would have won the election. 

Ifs, buts, candy, nuts, etc.  smile


nohero said:

ml1 said:

dave said:

GoSlugs said:

There's a strong argument to be made that the things the Dems would need to do to lure back rural MAGAs are exactly the sort of things that fuel minority voter apathy.  I won't say that luring uneducated whites back to the party is impossible but it seems likely that any attempt to do so will cost Dems more than it will benefit them.

The Dems just won Alaska, so it appears rural America is getting the message.

in the first round of voting, GOP candidates got 60% of the vote. It's likely the only message to take from that election is that most Alaskans are as fed up with Palin as the rest of the country.

But since it was ranked choice voting, we know that more Alaskan voters chose the Democratic candidate than the other GOP candidate, Begich.

I don't think Sarah understands how ranked choice voting works.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/sarah-palin-instructed-supporters-not-to-rank-candidates-alaskas-gop-candidates-point-fingers-after-special-election-loss/

Republican congressional candidate Nick Begich reprimanded his rival, Sarah Palin, for Democrats’ Wednesday win in Alaska’s special election for its at-large seat, saying she cost the party by instructing “supporters not to rank candidates” in the state’s ranked-choice voting system.


yahooyahoo said:

I don't think Sarah understands how ranked choice voting works.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/sarah-palin-instructed-supporters-not-to-rank-candidates-alaskas-gop-candidates-point-fingers-after-special-election-loss/

Republican congressional candidate Nick Begich reprimanded his rival, Sarah Palin, for Democrats’ Wednesday win in Alaska’s special election for its at-large seat, saying she cost the party by instructing “supporters not to rank candidates” in the state’s ranked-choice voting system.

This is like when Republican told all their supporters that voting by mail is bad.


yahooyahoo said:

I don't think Sarah understands how ranked choice voting works.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/sarah-palin-instructed-supporters-not-to-rank-candidates-alaskas-gop-candidates-point-fingers-after-special-election-loss/

Republican congressional candidate Nick Begich reprimanded his rival, Sarah Palin, for Democrats’ Wednesday win in Alaska’s special election for its at-large seat, saying she cost the party by instructing “supporters not to rank candidates” in the state’s ranked-choice voting system.

The stupid leading the ignorant.


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Advertise here!

Sponsored Business

Find Business