What series should I watch next?

I've been watching MAGIC CITY on Starz. Just finished Season 1 (8 episodes). Takes place in Miami Beach in the early 60s. Main character, Ike Evans, a Jew, owns a big resort hotel and deals with family pressures, financial difficulties, show biz, catering, organized and unorganized crime, violence, hot babes, hookers, and lots of sex. It's slow getting started but the characters grow on you. Sort of a 1962 Jewish Sopranos.

I enjoyed Wednesday - I expected it to be light and entertaining and it was - and really, really enjoyed Fleishman is in Trouble. Good acting, good writing, good everything. Edited to say I know it was a novel and the author wrote much of the mini series. I didn't read it and don't plan to though. My interest is in other types of books usually but I am sure it was excellent

I just finished Madoff The Monster of Wall St. Did learn some new stuff, explained the scheme etc...I enjoyed it. I just hate character actors in a documentary, if that makes sense? 

jamie said:

Brooklyn 99 - The Good Place - Hacks - Never Have I Ever - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Parks & Recreation - 30 Rock all have one common element - Executive Producer - David Miner - (bro in law to a friend of mine).  Pretty good track record.

Here's his full list: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0591145/

Pretty impressive. snake

Your Honor is back - great first episode!

mtierney said:

Anyone unhappy about Louise Penny’s 3Pines series? Loved the books, not so much the series

The town setting is tacky, the bistro anything but warm and inviting, and the inspector looks like Groucho Marx!

Am I alone in my disappointment?

I didn’t read the books- I enjoyed the series 

I’m enjoying Season 2 of Sex Lives of College Girls. On HBO. Pretty funny. And, yes, college girls. And sex. Renee Rap is in it. Don’t judge. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I’m enjoying Season 2 of Sex Lives of College Girls. On HBO. Pretty funny. And, yes, college girls. And sex. Renee Rap is in it. Don’t judge. 

I too enjoyed it. Not sure why you made the judging comment.  Did you also see Never Have I Ever, another Mindy Kaling show? I liked that even more and am looking forward to the next season.  I started the Mindy Project but am unsure about it but will go back to the first episode and try at least two total. I've learned, actually was taught, that one should never judge the first/pilot of any show and give it at least one more chance on the second and perhaps the third. 

wendy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I too enjoyed it. Not sure why you made the judging comment.  Did you also see Never Have I Ever, another Mindy Kaling show? I liked that even more and am looking forward to the next season.  I started the Mindy Project but am unsure about it but will go back to the first episode and try at least two total. I've learned, actually was taught, that one should never judge the first/pilot of any show and give it at least one more chance on the second and perhaps the third. 

Yes, I saw Never Have I Ever and I liked it a lot. Esp. Devi and John McEnroe's bizarre casting and presence. 

The casting of McEnroe was quite brilliant; worked on so many levels. And I liked the "guest" narrators as well.

My daughter and I are watching GETTING ON (2013), on HBO. Funny and very cringeworthy. 3 seasons. 

"Set in a geriatric extended care wing of a down-at-the-heels hospital, 'Getting On' follows put-upon nurses, anxious doctors, and administrators as they struggle with the darkly comic, brutally honest and quietly compassionate realities of caring for the elderly."

Great cast: Laurie Metcalf (fantastic!), Alex Borstein and Niecy Nash (both wonderful) and a bunch of great cameos (Mary Kay Place, Jean Smart, Ricky Jay, Molly Shannon and more).

An old show,  but new to me, “River,” on Prime/BBC, had me engrossed. About a detective who hears voices of the dead. The actors, throughout are great, River makes it all work.

jamie said:

Your Honor is back - great first episode!

I'm hooked on this series. Strange because I have disliked every character in the show.  

Also looking forward to the return of Yellowjackets and Billions.

When I have nothing to watch I go to On Demand Showtime and revisit Homeland, the best series I've ever watched.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

My daughter and I are watching GETTING ON (2013), on HBO. Funny and very cringeworthy. 3 seasons. 

"Set in a geriatric extended care wing of a down-at-the-heels hospital, 'Getting On' follows put-upon nurses, anxious doctors, and administrators as they struggle with the darkly comic, brutally honest and quietly compassionate realities of caring for the elderly."

Great cast: Laurie Metcalf (fantastic!), Alex Borstein and Niecy Nash (both wonderful) and a bunch of great cameos (Mary Kay Place, Jean Smart, Ricky Jay, Molly Shannon and more).

I enjoyed that show, a re-working of a British sitcom with the same title, written by 3 of the women starring in it (one of which had been a psychiatric nurse for 10 years) and directed by Peter Capaldi. Both versions scathingly funny.

Last night I saw the first 2 episodes of Shrinking, written by Bill Lawrence and Brett Goldstein of Ted Lasso, along with Jason Segal who stars with Jessica Williams and Harrison Ford. So far it's absolutely brilliant, an emotional rollercoaster of a show with a lot of heart and wit. Comes out on Fridays on AppleTV+.

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I enjoyed that show, a re-working of a British sitcom with the same title, written by 3 of the women starring in it (one of which had been a psychiatric nurse for 10 years) and directed by Peter Capaldi. Both versions scathingly funny.

Last night I saw the first 2 episodes of Shrinking, written by Bill Lawrence and Brett Goldstein of Ted Lasso, along with Jason Segal who stars with Jessica Williams and Harrison Ford. So far it's absolutely brilliant, an emotional rollercoaster of a show with a lot of heart and wit. Comes out on Fridays on AppleTV+.

I also watched the first 2 episodes of SHRINKING last night and enjoyed them very much. Looking forward to more. 

Also, I'm all caught up on HBO's The Last Of Us. I don't really do horror anymore, but this is a stunning show. Episode 3 is possibly one of the greatest single pieces of television I've seen in years (second only to Episode 6 of The Sandman and most of The Expanse), and I can't wait to see where this thing goes (no, I haven't played the game.)

wendy said:

I enjoyed Wednesday - I expected it to be light and entertaining and it was - and really, really enjoyed Fleishman is in Trouble. Good acting, good writing, good everything. Edited to say I know it was a novel and the author wrote much of the mini series. I didn't read it and don't plan to though. My interest is in other types of books usually but I am sure it was excellent

The author used to live in Maplewood.  She now lives in NYC.  In another interview I read, she had less than flattering things to say about the suburbs. Her feelings about suburban life definitely come out in the show.

https://njjewishnews.timesofisrael.com/maybe-were-all-in-trouble/

ridski said:

Also, I'm all caught up on HBO's The Last Of Us. I don't really do horror anymore, but this is a stunning show. Episode 3 is possibly one of the greatest single pieces of television I've seen in years (second only to Episode 6 of The Sandman and most of The Expanse), and I can't wait to see where this thing goes (no, I haven't played the game.)

Episode 3 amazing. I was blown away.

I enjoyed watching The Recruit on Netflix.  It's an entertaining spy dramedy about a young lawyer at the CIA.  They aren't going to win any awards but it's a fun watch.

I said these exact words to my daughter after I saw the third episode  I hadn’t even watched the first two episodes  

ridski said:

Caught up on the Last of Us also - it's decent - kind of like the Walking Dead without too many zombies.

Could get annoying if there's too many clicker thingies. Episode 3 was good - it could almost stand on it's own.

jamie said:

Caught up on the Last of Us also - it's decent - kind of like the Walking Dead without too many zombies.

Could get annoying if there's too many clicker thingies. Episode 3 was good - it could almost stand on it's own.

I'm really bummed I have to wait until next Sunday for the next episode. 

ridski said:

jamie said:

Last of Us is very good.  Not too many zombies, it's more about the survivors.

yahooyahoo said:

ridski said:

jamie said:

Last of Us is very good.  Not too many zombies, it's more about the survivors.

I like the fewer zombies thing, and the way they toned down that threat when away from major population centers. I gave up very early on with The Walking Dead, because the threat was there all the time, and I simply can't watch a show that contains that high level of stress. 

I'm also more fond of the cordyceps zombie than your average Romero one, after reading MR Carey's The Girl With All The Gifts, which was written about the same time as the TLOU video game was being developed. I think everyone saw the same weird documentary about fungus and ants and decided to run with it. I know I remember seeing stuff pop up online about zombie ants around that time.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Loving watching Shrinking.

Yes, that's become our Friday must-see.

I've been watching and enjoying Shrinking as well, once I got past the idea that this has anything to do with how therapy is supposed to be practiced or work (unlike most therapy series, such as In Treatment, or Couples Therapy).

I watched two episodes of Dear Edward last night. I liked them once I got beyond the plane crash setup. 

It was fun to see Elaine Miles in The Last of Us - she was Marilyn on Northern Exposure - her character was pretty similar.  Along with Graham Greene - I thought they would of had a larger role, perhaps in another episode.

I follow Graham Greene on Facebook and he never mentioned it. He probably filmed it ages ago and forgot. He posts the weirdest ****.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.