What series should I watch next?

jeffl said:

I think The Bear is the best series I’ve seen in years  Gripping.   Incredible acting.   

bub said:

We have gotten into the highly praised "The Bear":

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_bear

All the more so because cooks and restaurant workers have said it's an accurate portrayal of the harsh realities of many restaurant kitchens. 

Anyone watching The English on Amazon Prime ? Reviews ?

jeffl said:

I think The Bear is the best series I’ve seen in years  Gripping.   Incredible acting.   

bub said:

I liked it, too, but too much yelling and screaming. 

After reading an article in the NYT about the cast of THE ENGLISH, a western, on Prime. I gave it a shot last night and watched 2 episodes. 

After the 2 episodes, I thought it was pretty dumb. I'll pass on the remaining 4 episodes. Curious if anyone else watched it and liked it? 

The Inside Man with Stanley Tucci on Netflix was ok - not amazing - but decent and it's only 4 episodes.

Excited that The White Lotus is back.  So far three episodes in, I enjoy it but I don't think the characters are as compelling as last season.  F. Murray Abraham and Michael Imperioli are good in it.  I like the idea of having each season in a new location.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

bub said:

I liked it, too, but too much yelling and screaming. 

yeah. two episodes in and it's very energetic, to say the least.

just finished up Bosch

currenlty watching crown & white lotus(underwhelming)

and now just started Jack Ryan-episode 1-my kind of series!

White lotus - still underperforming - at episode 4 out of 7.  

Yellowstone is really lame IMO this season - plot has been played out already and side plots are uninteresting - the Stallone commercials for his show are more entertaining,

Walking Dead is over - that's been on cruise control for years.  Fairly weak for a series finale - I guess because there will be spinoff series next year,

Andor has been getting great reviews.

Has anyone seen it?

drummerboy said:

Andor has been getting great reviews.

Has anyone seen it?

Yes. It's not a Star Wars show. It's a beautifully written spy-thriller set in the Star Wars universe. I loved it.

I started watching WEDNESDAY (Netflix) last night after hearing a positive review on NPR. (It's Wednesday Addams.)  I watched one episode and I think I'll watch more. It has a good cast. Morticia and Gomez are played by Catherine Zeta-Jones and Luis Guzman.  

Yeah, I've added Andor and Wednesday to my list.

My inner goth really wants Wednesday to be good. 

Finishing up Season 3 of NEVER HAVE I EVER on Netflix. Adorable show about high schoolers and one first-generation Indian-American teenage student and her family in particular. If you haven't seen it, it's quite charming. Created by Mindy Kaling and based on her childhood. And it's narrated, for no good reason at all, by John McEnroe. 

I'd also recommend, for lighter viewing, on Netflix:

KIM'S CONVENIENCE and WORKIN' MOMS. Both great, charming and with short episodes. 

I really liked both Kim's Convenience and Workin Moms.  I'll try Never have I ever. Sounds good and I do like Mindy Kaling. Never saw her other show: The Mindy Project, which I still want to try.

Ready to jump into His Dark Materials On HBO.

Morganna said:

Ready to jump into His Dark Materials On HBO.

Ditto.  Happy its back,

The White Lotus finished tonight.  Wish it was more than 7 episodes.  Even though I wasn't as crazy about it at the beginning when comparing with last season, it still was an enjoyable ride.  

Saw season 2 of the NXIVM series on HBO - well done.  It really focused on Nancy which was a good perspective.

I have generally not been a fan of the ongoing Star Wars franchise but I started watching the latest series, Andor, and its quite good and quite different.   Gritty, dark, better written, more adult than the usual Star Wars fare.   

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

After reading an article in the NYT about the cast of THE ENGLISH, a western, on Prime. I gave it a shot last night and watched 2 episodes. 

After the 2 episodes, I thought it was pretty dumb. I'll pass on the remaining 4 episodes. Curious if anyone else watched it and liked it? 

I only watched a few episodes.  Simone watched the rest and said it got better.  

Fleishman Is in Trouble on Hulu is really good - here's the synopsis of the novel it's based on:

Fleishman Is in Trouble deals with the themes of gender roles, marriage and divorce, online dating, midlife crises, and class anxiety. The novel mocks the affluent Manhattan professional class and its pretensions while embracing their anxieties, especially those relating to marriage and gender.

Also on Hulu - Welcome to Chippendales starring Kumail Ali Nanjiani - it's pretty entertaining.

Surprised at how much I loved Wednesday 

now watching Extraordinary Attorney Woo-odd and highly enjoyable 

SammiJ said:

Surprised at how much I loved Wednesday 

now watching Extraordinary Attorney Woo-odd and highly enjoyable 

I was just this minute going to say how I lost interest in Wednesday pretty quickly. But I'll give it another shot based on your reco. 

Attorney Woo is a brand extension, if you want to call it that, of the Korean series about an autistic professional. It's been remade here as The Good Doctor, and I watch it when I see it's on. I started watching Woo but found it all a bit too cute. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Finishing up Season 3 of NEVER HAVE I EVER on Netflix. Adorable show about high schoolers and one first-generation Indian-American teenage student and her family in particular. If you haven't seen it, it's quite charming. Created by Mindy Kaling and based on her childhood. And it's narrated, for no good reason at all, by John McEnroe. 

Good reco!  I'm through the first 2 seasons.  The narration by McEnroe is great!

mrincredible said:

We finished "Only Murders..." and enjoyed it to the end. I'm glad they're doing a new season! 

The final episode does include about 5 minutes of some old-school Steve Martin goofiness. It seemed a little out of place with the overall tone of the episode, and his character. If you like that aspect of his comedy, you'll enjoy it. If you don't, you may just have to grin and bear it. That aspect doesn't dominate the episode.

We're thinking about trying "Nora From Queens" next. 

I'm sorry that Brooklyn 99 is finished. I understand that they were struggling with how to make a light hearted comedy about the police in this day and age. The final season explored the potential for the police to abuse their power and step over lines that shouldn't be crossed. I thought they did it well and still kept the comedy going, but it definitely changed the tenor of the show. I'm also bummed because Madeline Walter, a very talented Columbia high grad, had landed a writing gig with the show. (She actually makes an appearance as a babysitter in the final heist episode.)

LOVED Only Murders in the Building and liked Season 2 even better than Season 1. Looks like there will be a Season 3. It's been confirmed. It was very funny and smart.

As to Brooklyn 99 I LOVED that too. If you were a fan of that, you should try The Good Place also written by Michael Schur. I thought The Good Place was great!

Brooklyn 99 - The Good Place - Hacks - Never Have I Ever - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Parks & Recreation - 30 Rock all have one common element - Executive Producer - David Miner - (bro in law to a friend of mine).  Pretty good track record.

Here's his full list: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0591145/

jamie said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Good reco!  I'm through the first 2 seasons.  The narration by McEnroe is great!

Thanks for the recommendation. I just finished all 3 seasons and loved it! Although I must admit that I enjoy the "supporting" characters much more than Devi. Trent is awesome.

Also, I think I went through half a box of tissues when I wasn't laughing - some very moving episodes. 

Anyone unhappy about Louise Penny’s 3Pines series? Loved the books, not so much the series

The town setting is tacky, the bistro anything but warm and inviting, and the inspector looks like Groucho Marx!

Am I alone in my disappointment?

Will Arnett's Flaked.

If you like a Quentin Tarantino vibe, try Kleo on Netflix.

Treason on Netflix...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!