What series should I watch next?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Last night I watched the first episode of "Extraordinary Attorney Woo" on Netflix. It's a South Korean show about a young woman with autism and how she becomes a fantastic lawyer, and apparently some of her cases. If you've ever seen "The Good Doctor on ABC," which was adapted from a South Korean show, then this is "The Good Lawyer."  I don't think I'll watch any more of it. I didn't like the way her autism was presented and it's just more Good Doctor all over again. Of course, if you love The Good Doctor, this may be right up your street...

Also started watching "Yellowjackets," a Showtime show available to rent or buy on Prime. I heard an interview with Melanie Lynsky ("Rose" on Three and Half Men) who is one of the stars in the show (NJ girls soccer team, plane crash, cannibalism, 4 survivors 25 years later -no spoilers there) and thought I'd give it a try. It's very dark, both the plot and the lighting.  It's a LOST wannabe. I watched 2 episodes and was on the fence. When I realized I'd have to pay $24.99 for the entire season, I climbed off the fence. 

Signing up for a month's worth of Showtime would be cheaper.

cramer said:

Okokokok said:

As an attendee at the original Woodstock, I never thought it was a good idea to try to recreate the magic.  That being said, it certainly was an eye opening look into the shift of cultural paradigms between now and then.  By the way, I had a boyfriend years ago who worked for John Scher, and his characterization of him was less than kind.

John Scher lives in South Orange. 

Okokokok said:

Wonder if he’s on MOL, and what his take would be on it.

Okokokok said:

Wonder if he’s on MOL, and what his take would be on it.

Despite what you’re all thinking…

Ain’t me.

Okokokok said:

As an attendee at the original Woodstock, I never thought it was a good idea to try to recreate the magic.  That being said, it certainly was an eye opening look into the shift of cultural paradigms between now and then.  By the way, I had a boyfriend years ago who worked for John Scher, and his characterization of him was less than kind.

It's amazing that in the lead up no one ever asked, "Aside from the fact that it's in upstate New York and the guy who owns the rights to the name, what makes this Woodstock?" It was on a military base for heaven's sake!

Okokokok said:

Has anyone seen Trainwreck:  Woodstock ‘99 on Netflix?  YIKES!

Is this better or worse than the HBO doc Woodstock 99: Peace Love and Rage that came out last year?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Last night I watched the first episode of "Extraordinary Attorney Woo" on Netflix. It's a South Korean show about a young woman with autism and how she becomes a fantastic lawyer, and apparently some of her cases. If you've ever seen "The Good Doctor on ABC," which was adapted from a South Korean show, then this is "The Good Lawyer."  I don't think I'll watch any more of it. I didn't like the way her autism was presented and it's just more Good Doctor all over again. Of course, if you love The Good Doctor, this may be right up your street...

Also started watching "Yellowjackets," a Showtime show available to rent or buy on Prime. I heard an interview with Melanie Lynsky ("Rose" on Three and Half Men) who is one of the stars in the show (NJ girls soccer team, plane crash, cannibalism, 4 survivors 25 years later -no spoilers there) and thought I'd give it a try. It's very dark, both the plot and the lighting.  It's a LOST wannabe. I watched 2 episodes and was on the fence. When I realized I'd have to pay $24.99 for the entire season, I climbed off the fence. 

I get Showtime and gave Yellowjackets a try. I actually got hooked. The new season is coming out so I watched it again. Each episode is a cliff hanger so I'm going to get back into it. 

HBO has been running Game of Thrones, a season a day with no time in between episodes so I have been getting little else done but hopefully they will offer it On Demand.

Forgot how much I loved it. They are releasing the prequel tomorrow House of the Dragon. I'm looking forward to it but would love a sequel so I could continue watching Jon Snow (Kit Harington)

This is serious throwback.  It's not streaming and never went into syndication as far as I can tell.  We took the first 2 seasons of Moonlighting out of the library.   We loved it back in the day.  You never know if an old show is gonna hold up but it still works for us even though Willis' wise **** persona isn't as cool as it seemed back then.  

chalmers said:

Okokokok said:

It's amazing that in the lead up no one ever asked, "Aside from the fact that it's in upstate New York and the guy who owns the rights to the name, what makes this Woodstock?" It was on a military base for heaven's sake!

Not to mention that this  hardly captures the ‘69 vibe:

Two shows I've watched recently...

The Sandman on Netflix is fantastic - literally - I read some of the graphic novels in my early 20s and loved them but the show brings them to life in a beautiful (and sometimes nasty and gory) way. I'm ready to watch it again to catch the bits I missed.

I'm also 3 episodes into A League of Their Own on Amazon, and while it's not quite the same as the movie (same teams, different characters, different plotlines) it has its own charm and the characters are likeable and well written. I'm definitely looking forward to where the rest of the season takes us.

chalmers said:

Okokokok said:

Check out:
https://www.netflix.com/title/81035279

FYRE: The Greatest Party that Never Happened

A documentary about the disastrous Fyre Festival.

For the Severance fans out there:

ridski said:

I'm also 3 episodes into A League of Their Own on Amazon, and while it's not quite the same as the movie (same teams, different characters, different plotlines) it has its own charm and the characters are likeable and well written. I'm definitely looking forward to where the rest of the season takes us.

I'm 2.5 episodes into A League of Their Own, too. Not sure if I like it yet. Lots of focus on sexuality and racial issues. Maybe not enough on baseball. I'll keep watching and decide. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

I'm 2.5 episodes into A League of Their Own, too. Not sure if I like it yet. Lots of focus on sexuality and racial issues. Maybe not enough on baseball. I'll keep watching and decide. 

Sort of how I felt about Ted Lasso season 2, but I'm really enjoying it. I'm in it for the characters, really, the sport aspect isn't so important.

Hi discerning audience:

Please feel free to post any series that may not be "new" here. I realize now there is a retro TV thread but frankly there are so many excellent or very good series from years ago before streaming that folks either missed the first time around or are appreciating it for a second time now. Or after the great hibernation due to COVID are discovering the joys of staying at home to watch things even when they needn't have to as much.

In that vein, I have recently finished Madam Secretary which I enjoyed quite a bit. Had never seen it when initially aired. After watching it I decided to re-watch the West Wing that I has only watched originally and loved it then. I still recall going to a farewell gathering to watch the last episode with Nancy aka LibraryLady.

Anyway, it is as good as it ever was in my opinion. While I'd love to binge it is has become my exercise entertainment so I'm trying not to finish it too soon. On Season 2 now. (It's now on HBO Max.)

Edited to add that it's only been the past 3 or 4 years that I subscribe to HBO so I missed out on the HBO classics when originally aired like the Sopranos. Finally watched it with the last 2 years and had managed to avoid all spoilers until I watched it. Pretty good evasive maneuvers on my part huh. grin

I mentioned "The Rehearsal" here after the first episode and have found it very compelling, though if anyone is thinking of watching it, the finale is quite an emotional handful in a way that never could have been predicted. 

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

Sort of how I felt about Ted Lasso season 2, but I'm really enjoying it. I'm in it for the characters, really, the sport aspect isn't so important.

A League of Their Own seems to be all about lesbianism in the league. Some of my best friends are lesbians, of course, but I'm enjoying the show less and less. Also, so many of the scenes are lit so darkly that they're hard to see. (Did I already mention that?)

Started Bad Sisters with Sharon Horgan who I loved in Catastrophe. So far, so good but sometimes shows like this seem that they'd be great 2-hour films, or a great 2–3-episode shows but the plot is stretched out to 8 or more episodes.

Binged Slow Horses on AppleTV+ Friday night. Well-acted and written, taut thriller about a team of counter-spies in MI5 stuck in the equivalent of a basement, starring Gary Oldman. I was sure someone had mentioned it before, but it didn't come up in search.

oots said:

highly recommend "Longmire" on netflix  there are 6 seasons and im sad its over.  it is not new-the last season was in 2017.

I just watched the 1st episode of the new Mrs Maisel  and I think im done-will let my better half continue on without me.

Agreed on the Longmire recommendation. In Season 3 and hadn't watched it originally. I love the Wyoming venue combining the ranchers/the reservation and all else in between. Good acting, writing and non-simplistic character development.

As to Mrs Maisel. I watched I think the first two seasons when released and lost interest after that but I was quite enamored at first.

Is anyone watching House of the Dragon, or whatever it's called?

drummerboy said:

I watched the first one. I like it, but for a pilot is seemed very small. I watched the pilot for Game of Thrones directly after and there were so many locations and plot fuses being lit that it felt like a much larger world instantly. The pilot for HOD was pretty much all in one place so I felt a little cheated. The writing was good, though, as well as the acting. That was my only complaint. Haven't had a chance to catch up with episode 2 yet.

The new LOTR show starts tomorrow. Exciting time for fantasy buffs.

ETA I meant Friday for LOTR. 

Carl Hiaasin's novel Bad Monkey is being made into an Apple TV+ series starting this fall/winter.  I'm half way through the book and it's quite good. 

dave said:

Carl Hiaasin's novel Bad Monkey is being made into an Apple TV+ series starting this fall/winter.  I'm half way through the book and it's quite good. 

All of Carl Hiassin's books are great and highly recommend you read them all preferably in publication order as there are continuing characters.  Even if I subscribed to Apple TV (which I don't and won't) I find series of books I've read to not be very enjoyable since I sort of know what's coming. For example, read all the Michael Connelly Bosch books as well the Lincoln Lawyer series and stopped the Bosch ones. The LL series was a bit more enjoyable to me. 

wendy said:

dave said:

All of Carl Hiassin's books are great and highly recommend you read them all preferably in publication order as there are continuing characters.  Even if I subscribed to Apple TV (which I don't and won't) I find series of books I've read to not be very enjoyable since I sort of know what's coming. For example, read all the Michael Connelly Bosch books as well the Lincoln Lawyer series and stopped the Bosch ones. The LL series was a bit more enjoyable to me. 

I hope Apple can survive without your subscription.  grin

dave said:

I hope Apple can survive without your subscription.  
grin

One can only try.  oh oh

drummerboy said:

Yes and watched all of the Game of Thrones episodes again as a warm up.

I agree with ridski. It does not compare well to GOT.

I watched 2 episodes and can't get excited by the cast or set design. Hope their fans start complaining and they rev it up. I'm also not someone who is squeamish about blood and gore but it was overdone. It felt as if they were compensating for a lackluster plot with uninteresting dialogue and an uninspired cast.

Not giving up yet.

Nevertheless she persisted.

dave said:

Have you read Squeeze Me?  LOL funny with Trump and Melania characters. 

jeffl said:

dave said:

Have you read Squeeze Me?  LOL funny with Trump and Melania characters. 

No, but will check it out of the Hong Kong public library soon.

I’ve got one episode left to watch of Suspicion on Apple TV+, basically a remake of an Israeli show called Kfulim or False Flag, about 4 British people accused of kidnapping a wealthy PR tycoon’s son. Hooked me in minutes, excellent cast including Kunal Nayyar ( had no idea he was British), Noah Emmerich and Uma Thurman. Yet another taught thriller with plenty of twists and turns.

Updated to add...

That final episode was awful. All the tension that built up in the first 7 episodes are totally wasted at the end. I'm afraid I can't recommend anymore.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!