The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Is this a good time and place to ask questions about Kari Lake’s weird timing on her non-acceptance of election results??

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/dec/10/kari-lake-arizona-challenges-election-result-lawsuit

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/10/arts/lee-lorenz-dead.html

I was weened on New Yorker cartoons since I was a kid — probably explains my penchant for posting them. But that is a very long story for another time and place!

“It’s a rarity, dear.”

“I say it’s a penchant, and I say the hell with it.”

mtierney said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/10/arts/lee-lorenz-dead.html

I was weened on New Yorker cartoons since I was a kid — probably explains my penchant for posting them. But that is a very long story for another time and place!

I never suspected you as a fan of Ween. 

A topic to be avoided by the Press…

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/massive-weekend-migrant-caravan-overwhelms-texas-border-town/

Rest easy, however! Reading to the last graf, you will learn that the WH will “consider” taking action!

mtierney said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/massive-weekend-migrant-caravan-overwhelms-texas-border-town/

Rest easy, however! Reading to the last graf, you will learn that the WH will “consider” taking action!

Not "to be avoided by the Press".

Literally on the front page, above the fold, right beneath the masthead, with a large full-color picture in today's NY Times.

[Edited to add] And I looked at the article you provided the link for.  It literally relies on the NY Times reporting for the facts.

It’s also in the major international news: this is just one of several articles on the BBC US/Canada site at present:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61735603 
There’s a video article, and several other print items as well, all within the last day or so. 

I’m fairly sure Guardian has something as well, however we’ve had a fairly horrific police shooting (ie police were shot and killed) and it’s understandably major news here. 

mtierney said:

It was a leading story on MSNBC - which "press" are you referring to?

jamie said:

mtierney said:

It was a leading story on MSNBC - which "press" are you referring to?

maybe the Asbury Park Press?

I have been chastised for focusing on fentanyl deaths in the U.S., but there is a life-saving need to address the drug pandemic occurring right under our noses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/12/us/fentanyl-overdose-deaths.html

from the article:

“In cities like Milwaukee, fentanyl is increasingly a crisis in heavily Black and Latino neighborhoods. It is spreading within communities that are already straining under the weight of poverty, disinvestment and violent crime, and are now struggling to control a drug whose reach grows every year.

“A federal report released in July said that drug overdose deaths in the United States — which are largely driven by fentanyl — hit people of color the hardest, with rates among young Black people during the coronavirus pandemic rising the most sharply. Data from Milwaukee County showed that from 2020 to 2021, fatal overdoses increased by 6 percent among white people, but 55 percent among Black people.

“(In 2021, more than 500 drug-related deaths in Milwaukee County were tied to fentanyl, officials said, and this year’s death toll is expected to be even higher.

“Unfortunately, this epidemic is affecting communities of color really hard,” Cavalier Johnson, the mayor of Milwaukee, said in an interview. “The number of fentanyl-related deaths has continued to grow, and so too has the share of people of color who have succumbed to fentanyl-related deaths.”

mtierney said:

I have been chastised for focusing on fentanyl deaths in the U.S., but there is a life-saving need to address the drug pandemic occurring right under our noses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/12/us/fentanyl-overdose-deaths.html

No...You have been chastised for focusing on the non-existent linkage between fentanyl and the brown people at the border. It's always more about the brown folks than the drug.

mtierney said:

Here in Canada, the government is planning on welcoming 465,000 new Canadians next year. That number will rise to 485,000 in 2024. Given the massive shortage of workers, this is being greeted with enthusiasm in most mainstream sectors.

For perspective, the population of Canada is 39 million (roughly the same as the population of California). If the US were to match Canada's goals on a per capita basis, the US would have to admit 4.1 million immigrants next year. The US will be admitting less than a quarter of that number.  Americans should not be surprised when their elderly loved ones do not have enough care givers and they have to place their orders in restaurants via app.  It's, at least partially, a result of their country's inadequate  immigration policy.

Dennis_Seelbach said:

No...You have been chastised for focusing on the non-existent linkage between fentanyl and the brown people at the border. It's always more about the brown folks than the drug.

kinda like Chris Christie’s niece?

Jaytee said:

kinda like Chris Christie’s niece?

I had to look this one up but Damn! 

"Epstein displayed “unusual strength” while fighting off cops after being removed from the flight, and “had white foam coming from the sides of her mouth,” police docs detailed.

Do you know who I am? I’m Chris Christie’s daughter and you’re so f—ed. You will lose your job over this s—. I know Donald Trump,” she screamed at the arresting officers.

Police believe her behavior was consistent with having consumed alcohol and drugs."

NY Post: Chris Christie's Niece Bites Cops After Hurling Racist Insults on Plane

Sometimes, facts are just facts,

Strategic, planned (plainly put, controlled) immigration to fill a need for a vast, under populated country  is wise. 

The millions of people coming from all over the world, unvetted, and entering America illegally across our border over the last couple of years does not bode well. We have already learned that does help facilitate drug trafficking cartels, however.

My guess is that Canada will invite new citizens methodically for mutual benefit.

mtierney said:

Sometimes, facts are just facts,

Strategic, planned (plainly put, controlled) immigration to fill a need for a vast, under populated country  is wise. 

The millions of people coming from all over the world, unvetted, and entering America illegally across our border over the last couple of years does not bode well. We have already learned that does help facilitate drug trafficking cartels, however.

My guess is that Canada will invite new citizens methodically for mutual benefit.

Again, focusing on the non-existent linkage between fentanyl and the brown people at the border. It's always more about the brown folks than the drug. Truly disgusting.

I can’t quite make out the signature on that cartoon. Is it Addams or Chast?

DaveSchmidt said:

David M. Hitch I think, presuming this isn't an in-joke.

ridski said:

David M. Hitch I think, presuming this isn't an in-joke.

In, anyway.

mtierney said:

I was weened on New Yorker cartoons since I was a kid — probably explains my penchant for posting them.

DaveSchmidt said:

ridski said:

David M. Hitch I think, presuming this isn't an in-joke.

In, anyway.

mtierney said:

I was weened on New Yorker cartoons since I was a kid — probably explains my penchant for posting them.

Figures.

DaveSchmidt said:

Hitch

White House and Rose Garden yesterday. 

Extremely-poorly-educated member of Congress demands impeachment of Secretary of Homeland Security because drug seizures are up

(Bonus: They all call it "Fentonol" because they're that ignorant)

Painkiller addiction is nothing new: it’s really not that long ago in history that celebrities ruefully admitted to painkiller abuse/addiction and went into expensive treatment programs for it. So blaming ‘unemployed/gang-related’ young people for painkiller addiction and trafficking seems quite twisted (to me). Even more twisted is the shock-horror of preventing large amounts of these addictive substances entering the country - you want to stop them entering the country, not slip through! Who cares how much is stopped?? It’s great so much is stopped at the border/near the border. Disrupt supply!  question

yes, indeed, Joanne!

The story here — all the way from Britain — covers the Florida police officer who almost died from “exposure” to fentanyl during a routine traffic stop. It is reasonable to believe that this drug — which kills 300 people each and every day in America — came across our southern border, courtesy of drug cartels. It took 3 doses of narcan to save her life. 

There is no racist component to expressing concern that our porous border is a welcome mat to these cartels. But some folks rely on such tactics to try to derail a conversation.

@jamie — just had another double posting

China, India and Mexico are the biggest producers of fentanyl. The Chinese and Indians ship the drug to Mexico and Canada, which is then transported into the USA. 
If you keep following the drama on your favorite tv news channel, you’ll end up suffering from anxiety and other discomforts. 

mtierney said:

yes, indeed, Joanne!

The story here — all the way from Britain — covers the Florida police officer who almost died from “exposure” to fentanyl during a routine traffic stop. It is reasonable to believe that this drug — which kills 300 people each and every day in America — came across our southern border, courtesy of drug cartels. It took 3 doses of narcan to save her life. 

There is no racist component to expressing concern that our porous border is a welcome mat to these cartels. But some folks rely on such tactics to try to derail a conversation.

you can't overdose from touching fentanyl. It's a myth.

drummerboy said:

you can't overdose from touching fentanyl. It's a myth.

exactly… if that was the case none of the migrants won’t even make it to the wall with pounds of the stuff in their backpacks…

Jaytee said:

exactly… if that was the case none of the migrants won’t even make it to the wall with pounds of the stuff in their backpacks…

actually, I have read nothing regarding drugs found in immigrants’ possession at the border. Have you?

more on the deadly drug…

What is fentanyl and why is it so dangerous?

Fentanyl was originally developed in Belgium in the 1950s to aid cancer patients with their pain management.

Given its extreme potency it has become popular amongst recreational drug users.

Overdose deaths linked to synthetic opioids like fentanyl jumped from nearly 10,000 in 2015 to nearly 20,000 in 2016 - surpassing common opioid painkillers and heroin for the first time.

And drug overdoses killed more than 72,000 people in the US in 2017 – a record driven by fentanyl.

It is often added to heroin because it creates the same high as the drug, with the effects biologically identical.

But it can be up to 50 times more potent than heroin, according to officials in the US.

In the US, fentanyl is classified as a schedule II drug - indicating it has some medical use.

But it has a strong potential to be abused and can create psychological and physical dependence.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.