The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ridski said:

Ugh. He's my age. What an idiot.

TFG hired only the best people.

Dates aside, does he know what “infamy” means? It might’ve been a clue.

DaveSchmidt said:

Today I learned about the funniest line in film history.

DaveSchmidt said:

I kind of thought maybe he doesn't. But then I figured he meant people need to remember why it's a day that will live in infamy.

drummerboy said:

I'm not talking about ignoring history. I'm talking about the self-flagellation that occurs every year on the anniversary.

Do Americans still self flagellate about Pearl Harbor?  I can remember stuff in that vein when I was a kid, various books about what Roosevelt knew and how Kimmel was framed but I don't think that happens much now that it has passed from lived experience into "History".

GoSlugs said:

Do Americans still self flagellate about Pearl Harbor?  I can remember stuff in that vein when I was a kid, various books about what Roosevelt knew and how Kimmel was framed but I don't think that happens much now that it has passed from lived experience into "History".

Not remembering history is as damaging as not even knowing it. Perhaps  “self-flagellation”(your choice of words is telling) is the current mindset in America for recalling the deaths  of Americans while defending all of us, or for just going to work one beautiful day in September. 

My reference to the unsolved murder of a CHS student in 1966 elicited nonchalant, old news reactions here. A few days ago, a home on Maplewood Ave burned to the ground. Didn’t hear about it here. I remember when such a horrific loss would have had folks offering help for the family in need. What’s happening in Maplewood?

mtierney said:

My reference to the unsolved murder of a CHS student in 1966 elicited nonchalant, old news reactions here. A few days ago, a home on Maplewood Ave burned to the ground. Didn’t hear about it here. I remember when such a horrific loss would have had folks offering help for the family in need. What’s happening in Maplewood?

Your continued use of that tragedy as fodder for insulting people here is pretty pathetic.

As for the fire you reference, you clearly know nothing about that tragic situation, either. People who know the resident wouldn't appreciate how you ignorantly berate others here by taking advantage of what happened.

The house was not burnt to the ground. And yes, there’s a reason why no one has brought it up for conversation on this message board. 

mtierney said:

Perhaps “self-flagellation” (your choice of words is telling) ..

In context, it tells me that GoSlugs shares your skepticism of drummerboy’s choice of that term.

And please, mtierney, do everyone a favor and consider nohero’s and Jaytee’s comments about the fire before you post about it again.

Jaytee said:

The house was not burnt to the ground. And yes, there’s a reason why no one has brought it up for conversation on this message board. 

exactly. It might be hard for some folks to believe, but some of us think there are times when it's best to give people some privacy after an event like this. 

DaveSchmidt said:

And please, mtierney, do everyone a favor and consider nohero’s and Jaytee’s comments about the fire before you post about it again.

Why?

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Why?

Take the hints, please.

mtierney said:

Why?

Because when you don’t know what you’re talking about, and others beseech you to MYOB, a respectful adult considers the request.

mtierney said:

My reference to the unsolved murder of a CHS student in 1966 elicited nonchalant, old news reactions here. What’s happening in Maplewood?

When it comes to subjects like murders that occurred in MAPSO during the Eisenhower Administration, I think it is important to remember that many, if not most of the people posting here no longer live in MAPSO (if they ever lived there).  I live in Canada, Dennis Seelbach lives in South Carolina, Joanne lives in Australia, Drummerboy lives in Ohio and you, yourself, live in Tom's River.

My point (in case it has evaded you) is that, perhaps, this is not the best venue to demand discussion of hyperlocal historical incidents that happened in MAPSO a year before Jackie Kennnedy even set eyes on what would become the modern White House Rose Garden.

mtierney said:

Not remembering history is as damaging as not even knowing it. Perhaps  “self-flagellation”(your choice of words is telling) is the current mindset in America for recalling the deaths  of Americans while defending all of us, or for just going to work one beautiful day in September. 

As DS pointed out, I was quoting someone else so I am not quite sure what my supposed choice of words is telling you.

GoSlugs said:

When it comes to subjects like murders that occurred in MAPSO during the Eisenhower Administration, I think it is important to remember that many, if not most of the people posting here no longer live in MAPSO (if they ever lived there).  I live in Canada, Dennis Seelbach lives in South Carolina, Joanne lives in Australia, Drummerboy lives in Ohio and you, yourself, live in Tom's River.

My point (in case it has evaded you) is that, perhaps, this is not the best venue to demand discussion of hyperlocal historical incidents that happened in MAPSO a year before Jackie Kennnedy even set eyes on what would become the modern White House Rose Garden.

It occurred in 1966.

I do not live in Tom’s River BTW.

I do not believe in selective censorship. 

I have since  learned the circumstances surrounding the fire, and I think a lifelong Maplewood resident was poorly served by the township, the community — and,  now when help might be available to her, mum’s the word! Who is silence protecting here? Maplewood?

Just the past almost three years of pandemic living, plus  fear of lockdown or lockout worries, would break anyone, all alone. I would think there are other vulnerable people feeling desperate — perhaps on your street?

mtierney said:

Sorry.  I guess I wasn't really paying attention.  My point is you don't live in MAPSO.

mtierney said:

It occurred in 1966.

Whatever.  A long time before I was born.  I honestly don't get your unnatural interest in this incident.  Were you a suspect or something?

GoSlugs said:

As DS pointed out, I was quoting someone else so I am not quite sure what my supposed choice of words is telling you.

You made the choice to use those words. 

mtierney said:

You made the choice to use those words. 

I was quoting the post above mine.  If you quote the Gettysburg Address, that won't make the words "Four score and seven years ago" yours.  In the end, it doesn't really matter one way or another.

GoSlugs said:

Whatever.  A long time before I was born.  I honestly don't get your unnatural interest in this incident.  Were you a suspect or something?

Dumb question, but  I lived just a few blocks  from where the body was found, so it was very real to me. My baby girl was just six months old in 1966. Do you require more reasons for showing compassion for the lack of resolution in this death?

mtierney said:

I have since  learned the circumstances surrounding the fire, and I think a lifelong Maplewood resident was poorly served by the township, the community — and,  now when help might be available to her, mum’s the word! Who is silence protecting here? Maplewood?

Just the past almost three years of pandemic living, plus  fear of lockdown or lockout worries, would break anyone, all alone. I would think there are other vulnerable people feeling desperate — perhaps on your street?

And people who know her, know, while gossiping about it on a message board isn't "help".

And your comment about "three years of pandemic living" as being a factor show that you don't know anything about the circumstances, but are just using one person's misfortune to push your own, unrelated talking points.

mtierney said:

Dumb question, but  I lived just a few blocks  from where the body was found, so it was very real to me. My baby girl was just six months old in 1966. Do you require more reasons for showing compassion for the lack of resolution in this death?

I don't know, you implied that everyone else on MOL was a suspect.  Actually, when a case has been cold this long, one of the things investigators do is look for original assumptions that may be out of date.  To me, the big one in this case is the assumption that the perp was a man.  I am assuming that is because of the abortive rape but, to me, that could just as easily be evidence that the crime was committed by a woman who wanted to call attention  to the young girls sexuality.  You are famous on this board for your hatred of women and your generally disgusting attitudes towards female sexuality.

On top of all that is your bizarre insistence that, 60 years later, this community focus its attention on this historical incident.  They say the criminal always revisits the scene of the crime.

Remember, before you start running around whining about your hurt fee-fees that YOU are the one who demanded that we consider the possibility that the perp was posting on MOL.  Be careful what you wish for.

Now, let's give some well deserved rest to this issue, why don't we?

GoSlugs said:

Now, let's give some well deserved rest to this issue, why don't we?

Why should we not support finding this killer should be the question. 

From a few of your off-the-wall  assumptions about me, I do believe you, however,  should take a well-deserved rest, 

While doing so, could you search for cases  in which a woman attacks a young woman, with the an intent to rape?  Since you enjoy rewriting what other folks believe, what if  the 1966 murderer was a school classmate, also 17, and perhaps a female? Jealousy is a strong motivation. 

But, you and I are just concerned posters looking for justice, right?

mtierney said:

But, you and I are just concerned posters looking for justice, right?

No, you are known misogynist with unhealthy attitudes about female sexuality and a bizarre obsession with this case who likes to cast aspersions at her fellow posters but becomes enraged when those aspersions are cast back in her direction.  I am  just an utterly disinterested poster on a politics thread who is tired of your increasingly offensive demands that we discuss this incident from ancient local history.

I would note that this subject does not have anything to do with politics or rose gardening.  If you really are determined to craft post after outraged post about this subject, why don't you start a thread over on the Main Forums in the Local History section, where this topic belongs?

MT. 
We don’t have anymore information than Joe Strupp has. If you are just looking for a gossip group you’re not gonna find it here. Buy the book, read it, it might titillate your senses somewhat. The main suspect was a young man who was driving a sports car, who followed her from Columbia to her job in the village. He was trying to talk to her and she ignored him, she actually told him to “get lost” as she went into work. Somehow not one person who witnessed him talking to her could have identified him as a local guy. Read the book and you will get a better understanding why no one here has anything to offer. The ECPO just don’t seem interested in reopening the investigation. It’s unfair to her only remaining family member, her sister, to not know what happened, and who’s responsible. I give props to Joe for not giving up on the story. He has started a go fund me for a bench to be placed in memorial park for the victim. Please donate whatever you can afford, it’s not a lot of money for a bench. Here’s the link. https://gofund.me/cc44184f

Jaycee— thank you for a constructive response.

mtierney said:

It occurred in 1966.

I do not believe in selective censorship. 

you don't know what you're talking about. Which is usually a good time to clam up. What's that saying about removing all doubt?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!