The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ridski said:

Also what nohero said. 

Personally, I think a "What Nohero Said" button should be added as a "Reply" choice, but I'll leave that to the proprietors.

ridski said:

mtierney said:

See Main forum, the BOOKS thread….

As a parent who has buried a child, I know such a loss —whether 5 or 60 years ago —factors into the continuation of grief and despair. A violent death at the whim of a madman, however, is beyond the pale. The 17 year old was strangled as she was walking home from her part time job at a coffee shop on Maplewood Avenue!

The killer destroyed the victim’s family as well. Did he continue to live in the community all these decades later? Did he kill again? Does anyone care?

You keep saying Main Forum like that’s a universal thing. There are 9 categories in the main forum I’m not subscribed to. We have a choice of what we see in the main forum, so maybe not everyone is subscribed to the reading room category and won’t know about this thread. 

Also what nohero said. 

You can subscribe to categories?

Well I'll be.

drummerboy said:

Well I'll be.

It’s more about unsubscribing, which I think was originally done to hide politics posts from those who don’t want to read about them.

drummerboy said:

Well I'll be.

Yep, for example I have no kids so the Parenting and nightmarish Education category are no-nos for me, and no offense but I couldn't care less about what's happening in West Orange or Millburn or South Orange, or Finance, or Word Games, and the widening gyre that is the Russia News thing I shut off months ago.

ridski said:

You keep saying Main Forum like that’s a universal thing. There are 9 categories in the main forum I’m not subscribed to. We have a choice of what we see in the main forum, so maybe not everyone is subscribed to the reading room category and won’t know about this thread. 

Also what nohero said. 

Thanks, Ridski for the explanation — learn something new everyday!

@jamie — I seem to be getting double posts the last couple of days. 

mtierney said:

ml1 said:

I didn't bother to open it because the current headline references a book about a local murder that I was already aware of.

surprised that  a murder of a -17 year old Maplewood girl in 1961 , still unsolved,  generates so little interest on the town site.

I don't know how that was your interpretation. I cared enough to be aware of the book long before you posted about it.

ml1 said:

I don't know how that was your interpretation. I cared enough to be aware of the book long before you posted about it.

Hmmm, I think your sentence needs work. 

Raise your hand if you've actually bought or read Joe's book?

ridski said:

Raise your hand if you've actually bought or read Joe's book?

No hands raised after four days? The killer may still live in town, a respected senior citizen perhaps — maybe even contributes to MOL. I am bewildered by the shrug of shoulders here for this CHS student whose life was cut short so brutally.

well, we're bewildered by why you are so obsessed with this particular crime. There have been countless murders in the US, all with their own, unique manner of tragedy.

Other than the local angle, what makes this one so important to you, and why are you upset that no else is as upset about it as you?

What I said last week.

nohero said:

It's possible to both care and to have nothing to add.

mtierney said:

No hands raised after four days? The killer may still live in town, a respected senior citizen perhaps — maybe even contributes to MOL. I am bewildered by the shrug of shoulders here for this CHS student whose life was cut short so brutally.

I don’t see your hand up, mtierney.

mtierney said:

Well, that is a hell of a thing to say. It looks like we have our own little Q-Anon on the Raritan.

Do I really have to point out that you are the only person posting here who is actually old enough to have plausibly committed this crime?  Do you have something you want to share mtierney?

nohero said:

I  don’t think you really believe that callous response. Justice is deserved, however late it may arrive.

mtierney said:

I  don’t think you really believe that callous response. Justice is deserved, however late it may arrive.

what exactly are you looking for here? For posters on here to start speculating on who the killer is? Maybe a member of the glee club? The garden club? Start rounding up all seniors over 80 and swab their cheeks for dna? Colombo is dead also.

Nothing callous about nohero’s comment. 

I opened this thread for the first time in something like 8000 posts. I was curious what discussion was happening about the political events of the day. I had to scroll back to the top of the screen to make sure I had opened the thread I thought I opened. 

mtierney said:

nohero said:

I can't figure out how you could parse my statement and then come up with your response, here.

Arguably, the fact that I care and have nothing to add is more respectful of the victim and her family, then someone posting about it on MOL for seemingly the sole purpose of berating other posters who don't talk about it.

Trump Organization convicted in N.Y. criminal tax fraud trial (WaPo)

NEW YORK — Former president Donald Trump’s namesake company was convicted Tuesday of tax crimes committed by two of its longtime executives after a Manhattan trial that gave jurors a peek at some of the inner workings of the Trump Organization’s finances.

The real estate, hospitality and golf resort operation headquartered at Trump Tower on Fifth Ave. faces the possibility of a $1.6 million fine. New York Supreme Court jurors began their deliberations mid-day on Monday.

The company was charged with scheme to defraud, conspiracy, criminal tax fraud and falsifying business records.

This could be the first card flicked away from the house of cards. The big news will be the NYAG’s civil case. This verdict strengthens that case but it’s relatively small potatoes in terms of penalties. 

The civil case could fatally cripple the Trump Organization. 

December 7, 1941 — 81 years ago today. I remember Pearl Harbor Day! I was 9 years old and life, as I had known it, changed forever. Newspapers and the radio were the only connections people had to what was happening back then. Movie theaters — including those  which showed news reels only popped up — and everyone’s weekly trip to the movies provided visuals.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/12/pearl-harbor-came-out-the-blue/

December 7, 1941 — 81 years ago today. I remember Pearl Harbor Day! I was 9 years old and life, as I had known it, changed forever. Newspapers and the radio were the only connections people had to what was happening back then. Movie theaters — including those  which showed news reels only popped up — and everyone’s weekly trip to the movies provided visuals.

Battell’s Tavern and Constitutional happenings: Ready, set, go!

https://archives.delaware.gov/ratification-document/

mtierney said:

Events like Pearl Harbor and WWII in general are passing out of the realm of experienced history. My grandfather fought in WWII and my great uncle was at Pearl Harbor but, for my kids, WWII is as distant as the Spanish American War is for me or the Mexican American War is for you.  For their children, it will be as distant as the American Revolution.

I am not sure if I have a point here but, as this anniversary comes around yet again, it is something I am thinking about.

personally I think we spend way too much energy on past events like Pearl Harbor (and 9/11). It's not healthy and teaches us nothing.

drummerboy said:

personally I think we spend way too much energy on past events like Pearl Harbor (and 9/11). It's not healthy and teaches us nothing.

So, are you opposed to history or just the focus on particular events?

I mean, it would be hard to understand the modern world without having some understanding of US participation in WWII and it would be hard to understand that without understanding the perceived stab in the back that was Pearl Harbor.

GoSlugs said:

drummerboy said:

I mean, it would be hard to understand the modern world without having some understanding of US participation in WWII and it would be hard to understand that without understanding the perceived stab in the back that was Pearl Harbor.

I'm not talking about ignoring history. I'm talking about the self-flagellation that occurs every year on the anniversary.

NATO provoked Japan's attack.

drummerboy said:

GoSlugs said:

drummerboy said:

I'm not talking about ignoring history. I'm talking about the self-flagellation that occurs every year on the anniversary.

Those who forget history are doomed to be mocked on the Twitter. 

Ugh. He's my age. What an idiot.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.