The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ridski said:

Now that your side is taking over the the house 

So, does this mean that she isn't going to whine and snivel about "TDS" anymore?  

Reality has finally sunk in…. Deep 

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

At last, a funny cartoon!

Thank you Jaytee.

Considering the upcoming American holiday, if you want a funny cartoon, there is this….if you have a sense of humor that is.

um, that's pretty gross.

“Opticians’s.”

I’m dying.

Nothing funnier than a gag that's preceded by someone telling you that if you don't get it, you don't have a sense of humor. 

vampire

mtierney said:

Considering the upcoming American holiday

Mtierney, with the dawn of the season upon us, let me be the first to wish you a, wait for it, 

Happy Holidays!

Besides grifting from his suckers and hiding his taxes all he does is whine. 

Donald Trump lashed out early Wednesday at the Supreme Court after its order Tuesday that cleared the way for a congressional committee to examine the former president’s tax returns.

The Post’s Robert Barnes notes that in a posting on Truth Social, the online platform Trump founded, he denounced the court — three of whose justices he appointed — as a political body that has lost respect.

“Why would anybody be surprised that the Supreme Court has ruled against me, they always do!” Trump wrote at 1:14 a.m.

He's gone to so much trouble to hide his taxes. What is he afraid of?

RTrent said:

He's gone to so much trouble to hide his taxes. What is he afraid of?

The millions deposited into his accounts from Russia…

LOL, remember Sarah Palin? Pepperidge Farm and Alaska does.

ml1 said:

Nothing funnier than a gag that's preceded by someone telling you that if you don't get it, you don't have a sense of humor. 

vampire

nothing funnier than someone who misinterprets everything. i had that cartoon for a long time, and, as a cat person, I hesitated using it for obvious reasons. But the humor/grossness won the day.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all!

Headline writers at the  Times are stymied — or are they PC folks?

What is supposed to be the point?

mtierney said:

Above the fold and on Page 1 in the Sunday edition?  

mtierney said:

Now I'm more puzzled about what your point is.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

I think it has something to do with pronouns.

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Maybe mtierney has been inspired by the other thread discussing whether a football team is a collective or a group of individuals, depending on what type of English you grew up speaking?

Suffice to say, the collective "they" is not threatened by the singular "they" and hasn't been since Shakespeare, Jonathan Swift, and Austen have all used it. It's just become the right-wing obsession du jour.

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

mtierney said:

I saw what was circled, but whatever the point was isn't spelled out.

Plus, "Above the fold and on Page 1" in the paper doesn't have those headlines using the word "They/Their". Which is why I was even more puzzled

ridski said:

Maybe mtierney has been inspired by the other thread discussing whether a football team is a collective or a group of individuals, depending on what type of English you grew up speaking?

Suffice to say, the collective "they" is not threatened by the singular "they" and hasn't been since Shakespeare, Jonathan Swift, and Austen have all used it. It's just become the right-wing obsession du jour.

They get outraged because they're told to be outraged, without ever asking why they're supposed to be outraged.

nohero said:

They get outraged because they're told to be outraged, without ever asking why they're supposed to be outraged.

like Obama used to say…”they’re angry even when they win” 

Miserable people.

mtierney said:

"US and NATO Scramble to Arm Ukraine and Refill Their Own Arsenals"

Like everyone else, I honestly don't get it.  

What is wrong with this headline? 

Please explain.

drummerboy said:

But what?  How else would you phrase it?

GoSlugs said:

drummerboy said:

But what?  How else would you phrase it?

I wouldn't sweat it too much. The reason for the post will invariably be dumb.

Another indication of how the right wing has lost their way completely. A jihad against the word "they."

I’m surprised by the apparent confusion over ‘neutral plurals’ since we’re in school that in English the male plural form is they/their and the female plural form is also they/their. 

For the historically minded, and those interested in comparative linguistics this article is fascinating:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/26/pronouns-gendered-language-revolution-britain

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.