The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Sorry I came across this story. Recently I got my second booster, Pfizer. My other three  shots were Moderna. This last dose hit me the  hardest— exhaustion, aches and joint pain, etc.

Small price to pay to avoid getting Covid, sure, but lots of people are getting extraordinarily richer!

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/what-has-happened-to-journalism-volume

mtierney said:

Sorry I came across this story. Recently I got my second booster, Pfizer. My other three  shots were Moderna. This last dose hit me the  hardest— exhaustion, aches and joint pain, etc.

Small price to pay to avoid getting Covid, sure, but lots of people are getting extraordinarily richer!

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/what-has-happened-to-journalism-volume

Didn’t make it past the first sentence, I’m afraid. What’s it about?

ridski said:

The death of objective investigative  journalism is my take. A tad late to the wake, however.

mtierney said:

ridski said:

The death of objective investigative  journalism is my take. A tad late to the wake, however.

I hope Alex Berenson doesn’t think he’s an objective journalist.

How do Democrats spell “disconnect” re global warming and fossil fuels? Hypocrisy.

From The Dispatch…

Don’t Call it Politics

GettyImages-1434808195-1.jpg
The Strategic Petroleum Reserve storage at the Bryan Mound site in Freeport, Texas. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

When the White House announced yet another release from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve last week, Republicans immediately cried foul, declaring it a politically motivated move.

“No, it’s not,” says the President!

We won’t claim to be mind readers, but the circumstantial evidence that the White House timed this announcement for an electoral boost is pretty darn strong. We’re mere weeks from the midterms, and polling is growing increasingly grim for Democrats while Biden’s approval ratings slip back down toward 40 percent. Voters often punish a president’s party for high gas prices, and though pump prices have fallen from their peak in June, they’ve crept back up from about $3.69 a gallon on average last month to about $3.80 Sunday.

This latest release consists of 15 million barrels—the last batch of the largest-ever 180 million barrel drawdown Biden authorized in March—and leaves the SPR at its lowest level since the 1980s. It still has about 400 million barrels still available, per the White House. The barrels won’t actually be delivered until December, and Biden left the door open to order more.

The administration credits previous SPR releases with loosening the market enough to bring gas prices down by as much as 40 cents a gallon this summer, and while this last batch is too small to make that much of a dent in the market, it could help convince voters the president is trying to relieve their pain at the pump. The announcement also gave the White House another chance to blame high prices on the war in Ukraine and greedy fuel companies keeping profits high at consumers’ expense.

The Biden White House would hardly be the first to use the SPR for electoral expedience. In a particularly egregious example, then-President Bill Clinton ordered a 30 million barrel release shortly before the 2000 presidential election—right after Al Gore made it a campaign issue in his presidential bid. And the SPR has a long history as a piggy bank: Congress has for decades required non-emergency SPR selloffs, in some cases to raise money for modernizing the reserve’s storage or to test its readiness for emergencies, but often simply to raise revenue.

But the SPR release isn’t the only oil news Biden has been explaining away of late. It comes on the heels of revelations that the administration pushed Saudi Arabia to delay announcing OPEC production cuts for a month—which would have helped ensure that the resulting oil price spike didn’t hit until after midterms.

Administration officials insist their motives are pure and market-based. “We presented Saudi Arabia with analysis to show that there was no market basis to cut production targets, and that they could easily wait for the next OPEC meeting to see how things developed,” said John Kirby, National Security Council spokesman. Biden has threatened unspecified“consequences” for Saudi Arabia over OPEC’s decision to go ahead with the announcement, characterizing it as support for Russia—higher energy prices benefit the oil exporter and OPEC+ member. Saudi Arabia has dismissed those accusations but hasn’t soothed frustrations—Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy, a longtime Saudi Arabia critic, suggested freezing military aid to the kingdom.

Regardless, releasing oil and pushing for more is a weird look for a president who once promised to “end fossil fuel.” Swamped by politically deadly inflation—gasoline has been a major contributor—Biden has been talking out both sides of his mouth on oil. He’s quietly tried to pause oil and gas leases on public lands, then loudly scolded oil and gas companies for not drilling enough. Biden took advantage of the SPR release to take another shot at the industry. “My message to the American energy companies is this: you should not be using your profits to buy back stock or for dividends,” he said. “You should be using these record-breaking profits to increase production and refining.”

But oil and gas companies know Biden ultimately wants to decrease their role in the energy market, and today’s high prices aren’t enough to incentivize pricey investment in more production and refinement capability. They need the promise of future demand at profitable prices—and the global economy’s slide toward recession isn’t encouraging on that score.

The White House did try to address that concern—and assuage critics worried that the SPR is running too low—with a promise to refill the reserve at $67 to $72 a barrel, below current prices of about $94 a barrel for Brent crude, a global benchmark. That guarantees demand at a soft price floor even if economies cool. “We’re giving you more certainty,” Biden said. “So you can act now to increase oil production now.”

But the industry may not be any more moved by this—ultimately temporary—measure than it has been by Biden’s shame game. “We urge caution in continuing to rely on short-term efforts that are no substitute for sound long-term policies that enable American energy leadership,” American Petroleum Institute head Mike Sommers said in a statement after the SPR release announcement.

Analysts aren’t that impressed, either. “Throwing away emergency oil stocks to raise revenue or douse pump prices is a classic example of a short-sighted and expensive policy mistake,” said Robert McNally—a former White House energy adviser and founder of Rapidan Energy Group. He praised the administration for planning to refill the SPR and acknowledged the initial release in March was necessary when it appeared Russian supply might suddenly dry up, but argued the U.S. should hold off on draining it further.

“Don’t use the SPR to stabilize global oil prices, much less defend a price floor or ceiling,” McNally said. “We’ll pay later when geopolitical disruptions hammer consumers with even bigger oil price spikes.”

MTierney's sudden concern about the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Can anyone remind of her posting concern when

Following the news of a drone attack on a Saudi oilfield, which sparked concern about global supply security, President Trump said he had authorized a release from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

“Based on the attack on Saudi Arabia, which may have an impact on oil prices, I have authorized the release of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, if needed, in a to-be-determined amount sufficient to keep the markets well-supplied,” the U.S. President said in a tweet late on Sunday. “I have also informed all appropriate agencies to expedite approvals of the oil pipelines currently in the permitting process in Texas and various other States.”

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Trump-Authorizes-Release-From-Strategic-Petroleum-Reserve.html

btw - Obama added to the SPR. Trump decreased the SPR reserves. Don't remember any MTierney concern then too.

In fact, the highest level ever for the SPR was in 2010, when Barack
Obama was president. Further, there was actually a net decline in the
SPR when President Trump was in office. When he took office in January
2017, the SPR contained 695 million barrels. When he left office four
years later, the SPR contained 638 million barrels. So not only is the
claim of filling it untrue, but the level of the SPR actually declined
while President Trump was in office.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2022/04/01/no-former-president-trump-did-not-fill-the-strategic-petroleum-reserve

mtierney said:

How do Democrats spell “disconnect” re global warming and fossil fuels? Hypocrisy.

From The Dispatch…

Don’t Call it Politics

GettyImages-1434808195-1.jpg
The Strategic Petroleum Reserve storage at the Bryan Mound site in Freeport, Texas. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

When the White House announced yet another release from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve last week, Republicans immediately cried foul, declaring it a politically motivated move.

“No, it’s not,” says the President!

We won’t claim to be mind readers, but the circumstantial evidence that the White House timed this announcement for an electoral boost is pretty darn strong. We’re mere weeks from the midterms, and polling is growing increasingly grim for Democrats while Biden’s approval ratings slip back down toward 40 percent. Voters often punish a president’s party for high gas prices, and though pump prices have fallen from their peak in June, they’ve crept back up from about $3.69 a gallon on average last month to about $3.80 Sunday.

This latest release consists of 15 million barrels—the last batch of the largest-ever 180 million barrel drawdown Biden authorized in March—and leaves the SPR at its lowest level since the 1980s. It still has about 400 million barrels still available, per the White House. The barrels won’t actually be delivered until December, and Biden left the door open to order more.

The administration credits previous SPR releases with loosening the market enough to bring gas prices down by as much as 40 cents a gallon this summer, and while this last batch is too small to make that much of a dent in the market, it could help convince voters the president is trying to relieve their pain at the pump. The announcement also gave the White House another chance to blame high prices on the war in Ukraine and greedy fuel companies keeping profits high at consumers’ expense.

The Biden White House would hardly be the first to use the SPR for electoral expedience. In a particularly egregious example, then-President Bill Clinton ordered a 30 million barrel release shortly before the 2000 presidential election—right after Al Gore made it a campaign issue in his presidential bid. And the SPR has a long history as a piggy bank: Congress has for decades required non-emergency SPR selloffs, in some cases to raise money for modernizing the reserve’s storage or to test its readiness for emergencies, but often simply to raise revenue.

But the SPR release isn’t the only oil news Biden has been explaining away of late. It comes on the heels of revelations that the administration pushed Saudi Arabia to delay announcing OPEC production cuts for a month—which would have helped ensure that the resulting oil price spike didn’t hit until after midterms.

Administration officials insist their motives are pure and market-based. “We presented Saudi Arabia with analysis to show that there was no market basis to cut production targets, and that they could easily wait for the next OPEC meeting to see how things developed,” said John Kirby, National Security Council spokesman. Biden has threatened unspecified“consequences” for Saudi Arabia over OPEC’s decision to go ahead with the announcement, characterizing it as support for Russia—higher energy prices benefit the oil exporter and OPEC+ member. Saudi Arabia has dismissed those accusations but hasn’t soothed frustrations—Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy, a longtime Saudi Arabia critic, suggested freezing military aid to the kingdom.

Regardless, releasing oil and pushing for more is a weird look for a president who once promised to “end fossil fuel.” Swamped by politically deadly inflation—gasoline has been a major contributor—Biden has been talking out both sides of his mouth on oil. He’s quietly tried to pause oil and gas leases on public lands, then loudly scolded oil and gas companies for not drilling enough. Biden took advantage of the SPR release to take another shot at the industry. “My message to the American energy companies is this: you should not be using your profits to buy back stock or for dividends,” he said. “You should be using these record-breaking profits to increase production and refining.”

But oil and gas companies know Biden ultimately wants to decrease their role in the energy market, and today’s high prices aren’t enough to incentivize pricey investment in more production and refinement capability. They need the promise of future demand at profitable prices—and the global economy’s slide toward recession isn’t encouraging on that score.

The White House did try to address that concern—and assuage critics worried that the SPR is running too low—with a promise to refill the reserve at $67 to $72 a barrel, below current prices of about $94 a barrel for Brent crude, a global benchmark. That guarantees demand at a soft price floor even if economies cool. “We’re giving you more certainty,” Biden said. “So you can act now to increase oil production now.”

But the industry may not be any more moved by this—ultimately temporary—measure than it has been by Biden’s shame game. “We urge caution in continuing to rely on short-term efforts that are no substitute for sound long-term policies that enable American energy leadership,” American Petroleum Institute head Mike Sommers said in a statement after the SPR release announcement.

Analysts aren’t that impressed, either. “Throwing away emergency oil stocks to raise revenue or douse pump prices is a classic example of a short-sighted and expensive policy mistake,” said Robert McNally—a former White House energy adviser and founder of Rapidan Energy Group. He praised the administration for planning to refill the SPR and acknowledged the initial release in March was necessary when it appeared Russian supply might suddenly dry up, but argued the U.S. should hold off on draining it further.

“Don’t use the SPR to stabilize global oil prices, much less defend a price floor or ceiling,” McNally said. “We’ll pay later when geopolitical disruptions hammer consumers with even bigger oil price spikes.”

how dare the president play politics to respond to Republicans playing politics over the price of gas!

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/white-house-tries-to-clean-up-bidens-false-claim-on-student-loan-forgiveness/

As someone, long passed 80, I believe I can  be allowed to make an observation  on our President’s increasing confusion over the past few months. The longer he hangs on to the possibility he intends to run again, he makes finding another candidate more difficult for Dems. He is not playing fair with his own party. 

The president is facing tough personal and family issues going forward — while the world is spinning closer to conflict every day.

mtierney said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/white-house-tries-to-clean-up-bidens-false-claim-on-student-loan-forgiveness/

As someone, long passed 80, I believe I can  be allowed to make an observation  on our President’s increasing confusion over the past few months. The longer he hangs on to the possibility he intends to run again, he makes finding another candidate more difficult for Dems. He is not playing fair with his own party. 

The president is facing tough personal and family issues going forward — while the world is spinning closer to conflict every day.

Aside from your tedious cartoon, I do think we have a problem with old politicians not knowing when to exit the stage gracefully.

With regard to H. Biden, it looks like he will be charged with fairly ordinary tax evasion crimes.  I say ordinary because these crimes fall well short of the high intrigue you have been fantasizing about.  Whether there is prison time in his future or just hefty penalties remains to be seen.

Re the student loans issues: I still find it fascinating that there’s so much controversy in the USA about this issue (which, to me, should be quite straight forward and uncomplicated) when last night, Canberra time, our federal Treasurer announced a return to fee-free vocational education nation-wide. This will mainly be within the TAFE system (technical and further education). 

There’s much more to discuss in our new federal Budget but most would probably bore you cheese

Isn’t it usual for most such victims to claim these attacks are political, especially in the glare of journalistic cameras? 

(I recently read BBC and Guardian articles demonstrating that most Venezuelan emigres remain in Central an South America, rather than trying to move to the USA, even more 10 years after leaving Venezuela. Week-long migraine otherwise I’d hunt them and link here)

joanne said:

(I recently read BBC and Guardian articles demonstrating that most Venezuelan emigres remain in Central an South America, rather than trying to move to the USA, even more 10 years after leaving Venezuela. Week-long migraine otherwise I’d hunt them and link here)

It is an involuntary return due to US policy waffling.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiT5pv8uoD7AhX_kIkEHW_YBUMQFnoECBcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/new-gatekeepers-woke-michael-lind

On my first cup of coffee, I see that the above link is filled with answers as to how America got from here to there, but I will need a lot more coffee to grasp its full significance. I am sure, based on previous interactions here, some will immediately see malevolent stupidity in the article or political nonsense by the left — or the right!

mtierney said:

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/new-gatekeepers-woke-michael-lind

On my first cup of coffee, I see that the above link is filled with answers as to how America got from here to there, but I will need a lot more coffee to grasp its full significance. I am sure, based on previous interactions here, some will immediately see malevolent stupidity in the article or political nonsense by the left — or the right!

"This article is part of Wokeness, Social Justice, and Cancel Culture."

A thin veneer of "erudition" over screamingly hateful bigotry.

mtierney said:

joanne said:

It is an involuntary return due to US policy waffling.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiT5pv8uoD7AhX_kIkEHW_YBUMQFnoECBcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com

No, this is what Joanne is talking about:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/8/31/over-6-8-million-have-left-venezuela-since-2014-and-exodus-grows

"About 6.8 million Venezuelans have left their homeland since an economic crisis took hold in earnest in 2014 for the country of some 28 million people. Most have gone to nearby nations in Latin America and the Caribbean. More than 2.4 million are in Colombia."

[...]

"Data compiled by the Interagency Coordination Platform for Refugees and Migrants, which involves about 200 humanitarian organisations, show governments have recorded the arrival of 753,000 Venezuelan migrants, refugees and asylum seekers since November in 17 Latin American and Caribbean countries."

nohero said:

mtierney said:

"This article is part of Wokeness, Social Justice, and Cancel Culture."

A thin veneer of "erudition" over screamingly hateful bigotry.

"Alas, only one solution to the threat of woke hegemony can possibly work: a massive and permanent expansion of the regulatory powers of American government."

His solution is literally tyranny.

And I'll edit to add that his solution exists only to solve an invented problem. There is no "woke hegemony" whatever TF that means. The author wants a tyrannical regime, and is using the made-up problem of "wokeness" to enact it.

the whining about "wokeness" is about 100 times more of a problem in this country than whatever it is these people are upset about.

Mtierney,

Can you define the term woke and explain why it is a bad thing?

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

The internet is filled with definitions, so you can surely find one with which fits your opinion.

With the goal to disrespect what other other Americans believe to be true, woke folks pride themselves on the destruction of religious, political, patriotic, establishment mores — woe to anyone out there who say otherwise. If you have any “spunk” left after watching careers, etc vanish over a comment, you  know there is a tough row to hoe ahead. Common sense will triump as the demands of the woke drift closer to the surreal.

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

The internet is filled with definitions, so you can surely find one with which fits your opinion.

With the goal to disrespect what other other Americans believe to be true, woke folks pride themselves on the destruction of religious, political, patriotic, establishment mores — woe to anyone out there who say otherwise. If you have any “spunk” left after watching careers, etc vanish over a comment, you  know there is a tough row to hoe ahead. Common sense will triump as the demands of the woke drift closer to the surreal.

A while ago, a gay man I know in Maplewood asked a question along the lines of "How do I have a conversation with people who want to marginalize me and take away my rights?"

Now, to you, that is apparently the destruction of religious mores.  To me, that is the destruction of a decent human being.

I am unaware of any significant religious mores that are compromised by granting full equality under the law to LGBTQ people?  

As for the cancel culture you reference, that has been around in one form or another since the beginning of time.

mtierney said:

So, in your case, the use of the word "woke" is to make this false accusation against people to whom you apply the label.

Public figures who write things like this are beneath contempt - 

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

wow, she actually gave an answer.

it's a **** up answer, but an answer nonetheless, so credit where credit is due.

Doesn't her definition pin Republicans as "woke"? After all, what is Trumpism if not a violent attack on religious, political, patriotic, and establishment mores?

Thank you, db, for having the guts to say something positive! Actually respond to most direct questions. Folks don’t like the answers.

For a change of topic, what is it that Biden is drinking? Koolaid?

Morning-Jolt.png
WITH JIM GERAGHTYOctober 27 2022
hero

What Exactly Is Biden Getting Told These Days about the Polls?

On the menu today: Just what does President Biden get briefed on? Does he listen? What does he read? Biden apparently believes that the polls will turn around for Democrats between now and Election Day — never mind that more than 14 million Americans have already voted in the midterm elections — and that Democrats are “beating the tide.” We can never quite tell which Biden statements are spin, which ones are blind, naïve, optimism, and which ones represent his being completely out of touch with what’s going on. If Democrats are “beating the tide,” doesn’t he find it odd that he’s not appearing at any rallies with Democratic candidates in the final weeks of the cycle? Does he recognize that it is highly abnormal for a president to spend the final weekends before Election Day relaxing at his home in Delaware?

The Information Biden Is Missing

Yesterday, Politico ran a story with the headline, “Biden insists the polls will turn in his favor. Privately, the White House is anxious.” Sometime after I tweeted about it, the headline changed to “Election anxiety creeps inside the White House.”

I noted that it feels like every day we get some headline that is a version of, “Amidst a long run of bad news, President Biden insists good news is just around the corner.” Inflation is temporary, or it’s at zero percent, or it’s peaked, or it’s tapering off. The economy is “strong as hell.” The border is secure. There’s optimism, and then there’s blind denial.

That Politico article noted:

In the stretch run before the election, Biden has held far fewer events than his immediate predecessors, Barack Obama and Donald Trump, did in the closing weeks of their own first midterm election season. The president is slated for a trip to upstate New York on Thursday but did not campaign last weekend — and he currently has no campaign events planned for this coming weekend, just 10 days before voters go to the polls. On both weekends, he has opted instead to remain at one of his Delaware homes.

As I have been metaphorically shouting all autumn, this is highly abnormal. Either Biden is too unpopular to be of any use to any Democrats other than in a handful of races, or as he approaches his 80th birthday he doesn’t have the stamina to handle the traditional late-campaign schedule, or both.

Recall that back in 2006, President George W. Bush was awfully unpopular, with a job-approval rating below 40 percent. And yet, Bush went out and held rallies with Republican candidates in then-solidly red states such as Indiana, Georgia, Montana, Nevada, Texas, and Nebraska. Obama campaigned all over the country in 2010 and 2014, even though his approval rating was lousy, and Trump did the same in 2018.

I remind you, Biden’s absence from the campaign trail and weekends at home was not the plan, as of a few months ago. In late August, Biden attended a traditional-style Democratic Party rally in Rockville, Md., and White House officials told the New York Times that Biden was “embracing the role as his party’s top campaigner.”

One of the few places it has been safe for President Biden to hold something akin to a traditional rally was literally inside the Democratic National Committee’s offices Monday. And once again, Biden stated he was seeing an imminent victory that no one else sees.

“Whether we maintain control of the Senate and the House is a big deal. And so far, we’re running against the tide, and we’re beating the tide!” Biden said.

Where? Where, in this political environment, are Democrats beating the tide? The only group who has beaten a tide this autumn is the University of Tennessee football team.

Thankfully, Biden spared us the cliché, “The only poll that matters is the one on Election Day.” But he insisted that the polling was just too contradictory to be a useful measurement of the state of the electorate:

The polls have been all over the place. First of all, if you speak to most pollsters, they’re not sure anymore — not about the outcome, but about polling. No, I’m not being facetious. It’s awful hard to do it these days. It’s awful hard to do it these days. “Republicans ahead.” “Democrats ahead.” “Republicans ahead.” But it’s going to close, I think, with seeing one more shift: “Democrats ahead” in the closing days.

But the polls really aren’t vague or contradictory this fall. In the generic-ballot question, Republicans have led 15 of the last 18 public polls, and most people think Democrats need to be ahead by three or four percentage points to keep the House. Democrats got excited when the Politico/Morning Consult survey showed them ahead by four percentage points, but that was a poll of registered voters, not likely voters.

The polls aren’t just bad for Democrats; some of the results almost look too good for Republicans.

What are we to make of a Fox/Insider Advantage poll in Arizona that has Republican gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake ahead of Democrat Katie Hobbs by eleven points? (By refusing to debate, Hobbs is going to be remembered as the Martha Coakley of this election cycle — an entitled, down-ticket state official with spectacularly bad instincts who fumbled away a race that, on paper, she had at least a decent shot of winning.)

What are we to make of Data for Progress, a progressive polling firm, finding Florida governor Ron DeSantis beating Charlie Crist by twelve points? Or the University of North Florida survey finding DeSantis ahead by 14 points?

What are we to make of the last bunch of surveys of likely voters in Texas putting Greg Abbott ahead by nine to eleven points?

If Republicans are winning the governor’s races by double-digit or near-double-digit margins, they will likely also enjoy sweeping down-ticket state legislative wins in Arizona, Florida, and Texas. FiveThirtyEight noted this week that Democrats could lose control of the state legislatures in Nevada, Maine, and Oregon. Republicans could win complete control of state legislatures in Alaska, North Carolina, and Wisconsin.

Speaking of Wisconsin, that Politico article also mentioned, “Biden has voiced strong interest in seeing incumbent Republican Ron Johnson defeated in Wisconsin.” Johnson hasn’t trailed in a poll since early September. Has anyone told Biden how that Senate race is going for Mandela Barnes?

What is Biden being told about the outlook for Democrats in the midterms? Back in May, he publicly predicted that Democrats would add three more Senate seats to their current “majority” of 50 seats. This week’s confident “We’re beating the tide!” declaration is the inverse of his nuclear “Armageddon” warning at a Democratic fundraiser, which left the rest of the U.S. government, including the parts assigned the vital duty of watching Russia’s nuclear arsenal, scratching their heads and wondering what the president was talking about.

To whom is Biden listening? To whom is he talking? What is he reading? What is being discussed in his briefings? There’s this unnerving pattern in which the president regularly blurts out things that seem disconnected from reality or blatantly contradict his earlier statements.

Earlier this week, Biden did an event urging Americans to get their Covid-19 booster shots, and his off-the-cuff remarks veered into ominous doomsaying:

As we know, this virus is constantly changing. New variants have emerged here in the U.S. and around the world. We’ve seen cases and hospitalizations rise in Europe in recent weeks. Your old vaccine or your previous Covid infection will not give you maximum protection. Let me as plain as I — let me be as plain as I can. We still have hundreds of people dying each day from Covid in this country — hundreds. That number is likely to rise this winter.

That stern warning about the lingering threat is very hard to rectify with Biden’s statement from five weeks ago that, “The pandemic is over. We still have a problem with Covid. We’re still doing a lotta work on it. It’s — but the pandemic is over. if you notice, no one’s wearing masks. Everybody seems to be in pretty good shape.”

It’s just the continuing adventures of President Mr. Magoo, making grandiose promises — “I’m going to shut down the virus!” “We’re gonna cure cancer!” — and stumbling and wandering and insisting everything is going great, you’ve never had it so good, and anything that is going wrong is somebody else’s fault. Infant formula is easier to find than it was a few months ago, but NPR reports this morning that the ability to find it in stores is hit and miss, depending upon where you live. “We are nowhere close to anywhere near being at a normal supply compared to May,” a pediatrician lamented.

A problem emerges, Biden insists he would have to be a mind reader to have seen the problem coming, he promises it will be solved soon, eventually some half-measures get started, and then he and his team forget about it and move on to the next problem

It's kind of sad that people rail against "wokeness" when it's really just the idea of treating other people with the respect that they deserve. 

Isn't that what we were all taught as children? Seriously, what parents, schools, or religious groups taught that "**** your feelings" was the proper way to treat other people?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.