The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Just a few of dozens of stories re drug smuggling at the border. I don’t believe fingers are pointed at the the desperate migrants, but the drug cartels who get fentanyl and other drugs through under the cover provided them by the uncontrolled chaos at the border.

FWIW, Tues 18 Oct is Pink Day (for reproductive cancers) - you could devise a Pink Lunch…?! 
im off to one in a couple of hours: menu includes pink champagne or some other pink bubbles in your wine glass, chicken mignon (with various yummy veg), and a trio of desserts no doubt including red velvet cake, pink ice cream and maybe a berry tart… yum! (Veg/vegans have a yum-o veg lasagna to enjoy with hot sweet potato chips and salad, and suitable swaps in dessert)

And again, FWIW, all the floods, landslips etc are affecting crop harvests and next season’s fields prep (apparently 90% of domestic lentil production has rotted unpicked); and our attempts to Go Green are severely hampered by heavy merchandising of electric cooking (fan-forced ovens, microwaves, induction stoves etc) over the past 2 decades. We get most of our electricity from coal-powered stations. (Not enough water, usually, where most people live and solar creates its own waste [panels etc])

ridski said:

Thanks to Trump we never got those taco trucks on every corner we were promised if Hillary won and now I have to make my own lunch.

Update, it was good, but even though it's not Tuesday I still wanted tacos.

@mtierney, did you see the exciting news Re the cute dibblers on Dick Hartog Island?

Instead of just taking a picture of the titles, you could read a couple before assuming what they say.

mtierney said:

Just a few of dozens of stories re drug smuggling at the border. I don’t believe fingers are pointed at the the desperate migrants, but the drug cartels who get fentanyl and other drugs through under the cover provided them by the uncontrolled chaos at the border.

How many more years will you guys keep trying to enlighten this woman? She is the female Archie Bunker of MOL. She nodding off and you guys are continuously trying to keep her awake…

nohero said:

Oh, I do indeed read these links — do you?

Random excerpt from Newsweek:

“Data released by CBP Friday revealed that border agents have seized 2,098 pounds of fentanyl, compared with 639 pounds uncovered along the southwest border during the same period last year. The number of seizure "events" is nearly identical to one year ago, but public health officials continue to warn that drug overdose deaths likely exceeded more than 90,000 in 2020 and are on track to worsen in 2021.“

Or this item 3 days ago…Just in time for Halloween 

"The Mexican cartels are behind this new marketing campaign to flood the country with rainbow fentanyl, and it's only going to get worse," said Robert Almonte, a Texas-based consultant and former El Paso cop who has more than 30 years of experience cracking down on drug trafficking. DEA

The federal government is not doing enough to stem the fentanyl crisis amid one of the largest seizures of candy-colored fentanyl pills in New York City last week, according to a drug-trafficking expert.

“The Mexican cartels are behind this new marketing campaign to flood the country with rainbow fentanyl, and it’s only going to get worse,” said Robert Almonte, a Texas-based consultant and former El Paso cop who has more than 30 years of experience cracking down on drug trafficking. “Unfortunately, it’s only going to get worse because the federal government is not providing the resources that border agents need to stop the flow of fentanyl at the border.”

I feel it necessary to point out that if fentanyl appears in the blood test of an overdose victim, there's no real way of telling whether the overdose was caused by fentanyl, since fentanyl is mixed with other drugs that will also appear in the drug test.

Our problem is not fentanyl - it is opioid abuse. You could get rid of every bit of fentanyl and we'd still have a huge problem.

But you know, some people need something to have a moral panic about, especially if it can somehow be tied to the border.

Is this a Times editor’s job, to cowtow to his staff in order to avoid upsetting them? Is this balanced reporting? So who makes the editorial decisions in the Times newsroom? 

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/former-new-york-times-editor-claims-colleagues-treated-him-like-an-incompetent-fascist-for-running-cotton-op-ed/

mtierney said:

Is this a Times editor’s job, to cowtow to his staff in order to avoid upsetting them? Is this balanced reporting? So who makes the editorial decisions in the Times newsroom? 

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/former-new-york-times-editor-claims-colleagues-treated-him-like-an-incompetent-fascist-for-running-cotton-op-ed/

I didn't click on the link, but I assume it's about Dean Baquet - poor little snowflake can't handle criticism for his horrible decisions, of which there were many.

And anyway, he didn't kowtow, did he? No, he ran the neo-fascist editorial anyway.

Maybe a better editor would have gotten a clue when he got so much push back from his staff.

He was the worst.

mtierney said:

The Tom Cotton column made an outrageous, indefensible argument. That’s different from a conservative point of view. 

mtierney said:

that's what a person gets for being an incompetent fascist.

oops. wrong thread

ml1 said:

oops. wrong thread

Mtierney,

Can you give us an update on the Dunham investigation?

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

Can you give us an update on the Dunham investigation?

Doubtful. I don't think it was on mtierney's political radar, and I don't remember her ever bringing it up here.

ridski said:

Doubtful. I don't think it was on mtierney's political radar, and I don't remember her ever bringing it up here.

Oops! My bad. Thought you meant Lena Dunham, not John Durham. Please continue.

mtierney said:

ml1 said:

oops. wrong thread

yeah, excuse me for thinking you put the discussion of the UK PM in this political thread instead of the one about religion.

ridski said:

Au contrarie,  Ridski, I meant to post this yesterday (actually thought I had)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/18/us/politics/igor-danchenko-russia-acquittal-trump.html

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

ml1 said:

oops. wrong thread

yeah, excuse me for thinking you put the discussion of the UK PM in this political thread instead of the one about religion.

Right church, wrong pew.

A couple of days ago, I was watching CNN and, amazingly, the topic of conversation was about the massive influx of fentanyl-laced “candy” in legitimate candy wrappers coming in at our uncontrolled southern boarder, brought in by drug cartels taking advantage of situation.

I posted about this deadly fentanyl influx awhile back, and db, and others, accused me of fear-mongering, etc, etc. So when this story popped up on CNN, I felt I could repeat it, with the station’s validation. 

k Important that the Post picked it up — Halloween is around the corner

https://nypost.com/2022/10/14/rainbow-fentanyl-crisis-going-to-get-worse-at-southern-border/

mtierney said:

A couple of days ago, I was watching CNN and, amazingly, the topic of conversation was about the massive influx of fentanyl-laced “candy” in legitimate candy wrappers coming in at our uncontrolled southern boarder, brought in by drug cartels taking advantage of situation.

I posted about this deadly fentanyl influx awhile back, and db, and others, accused me of fear-mongering, etc, etc. So when this story popped up on CNN, I felt I could repeat it, with the station’s validation. 

k Important that the Post picked it up — Halloween is around the corner

https://nypost.com/2022/10/14/rainbow-fentanyl-crisis-going-to-get-worse-at-southern-border/

So you're repeating your claim with CNN's validation. But what CNN validation? Where's the link to the topic you watched? For all I know it could be just some wackjob fear mongering a Fentanyl candy laced crisis.

The link you show us is the NY Post. Murdoch's rag.

And for the record, CNN is well on its way to becoming FoxNews light.

There's two different stories, which the right-wing media have deliberately conflated.

Apparently, fentanyl is being smuggled, disguised as candy.

Also, there are idiots warning parents that some people will give out Halloween candy with fentanyl in it.

One is a fact, the other is a scare tactic used on the ignorant.

[Edited to add]

RTrent said:

So you're repeating your claim with CNN's validation. But what CNN validation? Where's the link to the topic you watched? For all I know it could be just some wackjob fear mongering a Fentanyl candy laced crisis.

The link you show us is the NY Post. Murdoch's rag.

Here’s CNN’s report.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/20/us/fentanyl-candy-boxes-seized-lax/index.html

nohero said:

There's two different stories, which the right-wing media have deliberately conflated.

Apparently, fentanyl is being smuggled, disguised as candy.

Also, there are idiots warning parents that some people will give out Halloween candy with fentanyl in it.

One is a fact, the other is a scare tactic used on the ignorant.

[Edited to add]

Probably the oldest urban myth in the book. Tainted Halloween candy. In our day it was acid that was supposedly being given to kids. Does anyone stop to think that dealers aren't giving their product away to people who don't have any money. 

drummerboy said:

And for the record, CNN is well on its way to becoming FoxNews light.

this is true. Which is a formula for failure. They seem to be aiming for "reasonable" Republicans as their target audience. Unicorns. 

Seriously, it’s the conflation of 4 stories.

Fentanyl found being smuggled into the US in candy boxes. It doesn’t look like candy at all, just pills.

So-called rainbow fentanyl that’s shipped in different colors, either disguised as oxycodone, or looking more like sidewalk chalk.

Tainted Halloween candy fears.

Drug dealers giving out free samples to get people hooked.

The first two are real. The last two aren’t. This fentanyl, once it arrives, is reprocessed and added to heroin. No one’s giving the good stuff to kids for free.

ridski said:

No one’s giving the good stuff to kids for free.

Some parents are in for disappointment, then.

nohero said:

ridski said:

No one’s giving the good stuff to kids for free.

Some parents are in for disappointment, then.

They’re parents. Disappointment is part of the job description.

ridski said:

Here’s CNN’s report.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/20/us/fentanyl-candy-boxes-seized-lax/index.html

Thanks for the link, Ridski. Video tell the story so much more effectively than anything mt might recall — i get the bias, it comes with the territory.

This fentanyl — Straight or diluted with heroin— has been reported as killing kids across America for months and months. 

Biden and drug czar Harris san bear some responsibility for failing to address/even recognize the drug cartels easy access into the country during the mayhem at our southern borders.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fentanyl-trip-drug-coming-america/story?id=84403096

https://nationaladdictionnews.com/2021/03/15/fentanyl-flowing-into-united-states-at-record-volume/

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.