Welcome to Kitten Season 2016

Lest you think kitten season is slowing down, I'm here to report it is in high gear. This week alone, I've taken in three trios of kittens. The batch I got Wednesday was picked up last night by a great foster family found through this thread, so a big thank you goes out to them and to MOL for being a resource.  Foster family (you know who you are), please feel free to post photos here of your charges.

Aside from them, I picked up two batches yesterday. The first batch I picked up yesterday from People for Animals comprises three from a litter of five. They are hissy and scared, about 10 weeks old.  I left the remainder because three hissy ones will require some one-on-one time to make them friendly enough for transport and I don't have the time to do all five. If anyone reading thinks they might want to try it, I can hook you up with the other two.  Basically, what I do is put them in a crate in a high-traffic area of my home so they get used to the rhythms of our household. Family members pull them out every so often and handle them and talk to them. After a few days they start to thaw. When I know they're not going to run and hide, they get a little more freedom out of the cage with people nearby, until they're crate free. They always sleep in the crate at night.

The second batch I picked up yesterday afternoon is Maplewood born and bred. Photo below. They're seven or eight weeks old and want to be out of the crate and running around. That won't happen until I'm sure they're using the litter and eating enough. Anyone interested in fostering these girls?

The Gang of Five (Ishi and company) who I've been fostering for several weeks are doing well. The red one's eyes are almost normal but the black one has an eye that is taking its sweet time to clear. And pretty much everyone is a little sneezy. Ishi went missing last night for about two hours. He was tucked way back in a shoe cubby in our kitchen. Our exchange student and I hear a faint rustle..."Did you hear that?" "Yeah...." so we peeked in and there he was.

All three litters have to be kept separate so I have the Gang of Five running free in the dining room, the older batch in a crate in the foyer, and the small ones in a crate set up in small side room.

When I was getting the kittens from Maplewood, the feeder asked me to take this friendly mom. She delivered kittens on March 10 which I deemed a little too large to tame now that I have, um, let's just say a houseful of kittens so I put her in touch with Furry Hearts to do the TNR. Based on her current shape, I think the odds are pretty good that this cat is pregnant again. I promised to go back for the cat Monday. If she's pregnant, I'll foster her (probably at my factory) and let her deliver. If she's not, I'll get her spayed and try to find her a home. If that fails, a friendly, long haired calico cat should be a rare treasure on the PfA transport to New England.

Poor mama!  LOL 

But that picture of the kittens is off the hook! So ridiculously cute!  rolleyes 

The Gang of Five were enjoying a communal nap on my screened in porch this morning. I left them home brought to work the Maplewood trio and one of the older kittens from PfA, all who need some quality time with people.

oh, the orange one is KILLING ME!!!

Where do you work that they let you bring kittens?  It must be a great place.

The boss is a real softie. (She's... me!)

The boss is a real softie. (She's... me!)

And now for something different... Here's a photo of a Maltese or Maltese mix looking for a home. He was left behind when his owners moved and somehow he ended up with People for Animals, who asked if I could find him a permanent family. He's a year to a year and a half old, with a very sweet temperament.

Left behind?  What the hell is wrong with people?

Fortunately, I am a night owl and am still tinkering on Petfinder so I just put this little guy on my site. I had to come up with a name and he reminded me of a Dandy Dinmont Terrier so I named him Dandy. Not so very original but if I put on my thinking cap and tried to get creative he would probably be waiting for another year or two while I decided.

Of course I'll stay awake for another few hours trying to come up with a better name.

cats said:

Left behind?  What the hell is wrong with people?

THIS

Dandy is a perfectly fine name. We had a Dalmatian when I was growing up whose name was Dilly. She was named by the first vet who saw her as a puppy, whose staff put a little bunch of green and purple ribbon on her collar after her bath. So the name came from the vet's rendition of the old song, "Lavender blue, dilly dilly, lavender green," or vice versa. This all happened in like 1961.

my point being names can come from some pretty strange ideas.

PeggyC said:

my point being names can come from some pretty strange ideas.

Thanks Peggy and my not wasting time may have paid off. I already got two emails on Dandy from Petfinder!

yay! He is a cutie-pie.

Dandy found a home. We got several inquiries about him from Petfinder but it was his foster person who found the adopter.  

But we still can show kitten pictures! Ishi, today. I consider him to be kind of the mascot.

But good things came out of getting him on Petfinder. Calling to make my apologies today that Dandy was gone, I found a potential adopter for a Furry Heart's pooch!

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming:

RED KITTEN!  There is some Hercules binge-watching going on at my house these days so I'm considering Iolas as a name for him. This was the little guy who had the terrible eye infections. I was afraid he would lose at least one eye but we saved them. His fluffy little black sister wasn't quite as lucky; she'll have one cloudy eye.

Good news/bad news.  Two more kittens were caught in the yard in Maplewood. Good news for Maplewood to have two fewer kittens running around reproducing and making trouble but bad news for me who has two more fosters.

Things have been hopping around here. Since my last post, I've taken one cat to spay, one pregnant cat, swapped the three small Maplewood kittens for four tinier ones, took in an additional older litter of three from Maplewood, and kept fostering three for PfA as well as the gang pictured below. Oh, plus an adult I've had since March. That's a lotta cats. But besides intake, I've had outflow.  At the moment, I have the gang of five, the four tiny kittens, and the three from PfA.  

On a happy note, two of the older Maplewood kittens went to permanent homes, as did my since-March adult foster (which is kind of a miracle). One of the older Maplewood kittens went with another kitten into foster with a poster who volunteered due to this thread, so yay MOL.  And the pregnant cat is being fostered at my friend's, whose family is looking forward to witnessing the birth.

On a sad note, the three young Maplewood kittens I posted June 3 all died.  They were the ones I swapped for tinier kittens.  The foster person at the time, a very experienced rescuer, says they exhibited classic signs of distemper. One by one, they were gone. 

The tiny kittens I have are giving me some concern. For the last few days, I had to force feed one and she otherwise looked quite uncomfortable so I brought them to the vet who deemed her to be dehydrated. The vet thought she was suffering from a bacterial problem that the current medication wasn't treating. We changed up the medication and she actually ate on her own this morning. So, progress.

Good God, this thread breaks my heart. I don't know how you stand it.  tongue laugh 

But it also makes me happy when it goes well.

And now for a lighter moment . . .

http://faculty.uca.edu/rnovy/Leiber--SpaceTime%20for%20Springers.htm

Gotta jot down some of those names. I'm always in the market for some different ones because how many black and white kittens can you name Oreo?

bigben_again said:

Gotta jot down some of those names. I'm always in the market for some different ones because how many black and white kittens can you name Oreo?

Well count on one being at our booth on Green Day. Not my pick so feel free to come up with a new one.

I think he looks like Charlie Chaplin !

Charlie Chaplin or Buttons both very cute.

The mom wandered in a garage and had a little family of 5. Valley Vet is spaying the mom tomorrow. Babies have their first shots and will be 8 weeks and up for adoption at Green Day at Morgan Le Fay Cat Rescue booth.

Here is another little one. Some are polydactyls.

Morganna - There is someone on Swap Soma Lounge that is looking to adopt a kitten.  

PetuniaBird said:

Morganna - There is someone on Swap Soma Lounge that is looking to adopt a kitten.  

Yippie! I'll check it out. Thank you and stop by and see them at Green Day! All with first shots. 8 weeks old and ready for new families.

when where is green day?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.