Vegan - Recipes, products and eateries!

Plenty of Buddhists eat plants only (and fungi, which are not exactly plants... different discussion) for reasons other than length of life.

LaSalePute said:

I don't get it.  What's the point? Everyone dies around the same age anyway. 

Death won't ignore you if you are Vegan, so what exactly is the benefit?  To live a life full of tasteless food?

That's easy, just get married to an American woman, they don't know how to cook.  That's why a lot of them say they are Vegan.

I am one of many, maybe even a majority of vegans who eat this way out of compassion. Very few people are unaware of the torture animals endure before slaughter. Its not necessary so why participate in it.

But others consider the environment, their health or the conditions that the workers endure.

Its worthwhile reading Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz a woman who went undercover.

Morganna said:

Its worthwhile reading Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz a woman who went undercover.

I spent many a morning at one in Perrysburg, OH in my grad school days. No need to be undercover. I got to see the animals waiting outside to what goes into the cold room and everything in between. This was for tissue collection over the course of 6 years. I'd be interested to see what she wrote.

Just had to detour back to Yellow Rose Vegan Cafe. Stopped by for a snack and ordered some mac and cheese and pastries with my ex husband who gave it a thumbs up.

Recently I looked wistfully at a black & white cookie in Shoprite and wished there was a vegan version. Well today I found them at Yellow Rose. Icing was accurate, cookie had a heavier texture and a nice flavor. I have restrained myself from diving right into the brownie but I'll save it for later with my coffee and report back.

I missed their new breakfast sandwich, a vegan bacon, eggs and cheese on a muffin but we got there close to close which is at 3 and they had sold out. I'm following their FB page so I'll try to post a few pictures of their yummy items.

Yummm From VegNews

Brittany Berlin

VEGAN CHOCOLATE CANNOLI TART

A rich and tasty filling nestled inside a crunchy, sweet exterior is characteristic of this traditional Italian dessert turned pie.

by BRITTANY BERLIN

NOVEMBER 12, 2021

SERVES: 8

Rich coconut cream and full-fat coconut yogurt replace the heavy cream typically used in this classic dessert from the Baked With Love cookbook. A buttery golden oat crust swaps in for the lightly fried cannoli pastry.

What you need:

For the crust:
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup coconut oil, softened
¼ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 to 6 tablespoons chilled water
1 teaspoon coconut oil, for greasing

For the filling:
8 ounces full-fat plain coconut milk yogurt
4 ounces vegan butter, softened
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup unsweetened coconut cream
¼ cup arrowroot powder
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips

For the toppings:
½ cup mini dark chocolate chips
¼ cup powdered sugar

What you do:

1. For the crust, in a food processor, pulse oats into a fine powder. Add baking soda and pulse once or twice to combine. Add coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and blend until dough becomes thick and sticky.
  2. Add 4 tablespoons of chilled water to dough and blend again. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky to touch. If needed, add remaining 2 tablespoons of chilled water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and blend again until dough has right consistency.
  3. Grease a 9-inch ceramic tart pan with coconut oil. Press dough for oat crust into bottom and up sides of prepared tart pan, being sure to press dough firmly into fluted shapes around sides of pan. Place crust in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  5. Remove crust from refrigerator and poke bottom of crust 5 or 6 times with a fork. Blind bake crust for 10 minutes, until cooked and just beginning to turn golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before filling. Keep oven at 375 degrees.
  6. For the filling, in a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat coconut yogurt, butter, maple syrup, coconut cream, arrowroot powder, and vanilla until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
  7. Pour filling into crust. Cover crust edges with either a pie-crust saver or aluminum foil, but leave filling uncovered. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until filling begins to set along outside but is a little wobbly at center.
  8. Remove tart from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Then place in refrigerator for about 4 hours, or overnight. Remove tart from refrigerator, top with chocolate chips and powdered sugar, and serve.

Mary McCartney's Vegan cooking show discussed with Joe Scarborough. Happy to hear Joe's son has decided to be Vegan.

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/mary-mccartney-cooks-vegan-specialties-with-friends-and-family-128001093853

I found the yummiest vegan cupcakes by a company called Rubicon. Check the package as they do offer non vegan options so for all of us who are vegan pay attention please.

These were available at Whole Foods in West Orange. If you find them elsewhere please post.

Below are a few of the flavors.

I've bought regular cookies and biscotti from www.SaveTheCrumbsCookies.com at local farmers markets.  They now offer vegan biscotti too

Highly recommend

Does anyone have a suggestion of a vegan substitute for dairy butter that does not contain palm oil and a source for the product?  We've been using Earth Balance for years, but all their spreads contain palm oil.  I only recently became aware that palm oil should be avoided both because of the ecological cost of harvesting palm nuts and for health reasons.  We've been looking at the vegan alternatives at the usual grocery stores, but no luck.  Trying to avoid soy, too.  

SammiJ said:

I've bought regular cookies and biscotti from www.SaveTheCrumbsCookies.com at local farmers markets.  They now offer vegan biscotti too

Highly recommend

Thanks and have you tried the amazing Yellow Rose Vegan Bakery & Cafe in Maplewood?  They have a website and a FB page. Staff is so pleasant.

www.yellowrosevegan.com

Elle_Cee said:

Does anyone have a suggestion of a vegan substitute for dairy butter that does not contain palm oil and a source for the product?  We've been using Earth Balance for years, but all their spreads contain palm oil.  I only recently became aware that palm oil should be avoided both because of the ecological cost of harvesting palm nuts and for health reasons.  We've been looking at the vegan alternatives at the usual grocery stores, but no luck.  Trying to avoid soy, too.  

Going to check. I have used Earth Balance and using a different brand now but let me look into this. 

Thanks, Morganna.  Found this:  https://vegfaqs.com/vegan-butter-without-palm-oil/  In addition to some brand recommendations, it also includes a ink to a homemade olive oil recipe.  Might try it.  

Just saw this recipe:

Grey Carmona***Recipe***(This makes a large batch but this recipe can easily be halved.)Soak 1 cup of cashews.Take 1 pound of Brussels Sprouts and half them. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven on 400°F for around 20-25 minutes, turning once, until nicely browned.Bring large pot of heavily salted water to a hard boil. Boil spaghetti pasta for 8-10 minutes. Reserve around 1½ cups of pasta water and drain pasta.Roast garlic cloves in their shells on the stovetop until browned and softened. Pop them out of their shells and finely chop. Set aside.In a blender, blend cashews, ¼ cup of tapioca starch, 1 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of white vinegar, reserved pasta water, and around 1½ cups of Silk Next Milk (I highly recommend this brand for creaminess but you can use any type of plant milk you prefer).Pour contents of blender into large saucepan. Whisk on medium-high heat until mixture starts to thicken a bit.Add in pasta, garlic, and Brussels Sprouts and coat evenly with sauce.Enjoy
</div> <div class=

Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie

The BEST Vegan lemon meringue pie recipe- A delicious vegan lemon curd topped with vegan meringue! No refined sugar and no eggs needed, this vegan lemon pie is a show stopper!5 from 180 votes Print RateCourse: DessertCuisine: American Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 5 minutesTotal Time: 15 minutes Servings: Slices Calories: 149kcal Author: Arman

Ingredients

• 1 9 inch pie crust of choice * See notes

For the vegan lemon curd

• 1/3 cup cornflour cornstarch ** See notes
  • 1 cup superfine sugar caster sugar *** See notes
  • 3/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon yellow food coloring **** See notes

For the vegan meringue

• 1/2 cup Aquafaba liquid from 1 x 400 gram can of chickpea water.
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 cup powdered sugar or sugar free powdered sugar

Instructions

• Prepare your pie crust. Either store bought, homemade or a no bake crust. Set aside.
  • Place cornflour and superfine sugar in a saucepan. Stir through the lemon juice and coconut milk. Add the yellow food coloring slowly, until nice and yellow (like a lemon meringue pie color).
  • Turn the heat on medium. Stir for 1-2 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook for around 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to bubble and thicken.
  • Remove the lemon curd from the heat. Moving quickly, transfer the lemon curd into the pie crust. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to firm up.
  • Once the lemon curd has firmed up, start preparing your vegan meringue. In a large mixing bowl, add your aquafaba and beat until soft peaks form, around 5 minutes. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating, until combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar, and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Add the vanilla extract.
  • Using a rubber spatula, spread out the vegan meringue over the top of the lemon pie. Using a blow torch, gently brown the tops of the meringue.

Notes

* A pre-made crust, homemade crust or a no bake crust. ** You can use arrowroot or tapioca starch.*** Keep it sugar free and paleo by using blended up erythritol.**** Natural food coloring. You can also add a pinch of turmeric.

Nutrition

Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 54mg | Fiber: 10g | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 6g

And if you want something sweet without cooking, this just in!

Just discovered that the company that I order seeds from has vegan recipes on its site as well as a vegan cookbook.

Rare Heirloom Seeds| Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

From Veg News

Caramelly 5-Ingredient Vegan Flan

Caramelly 5-Ingredient Vegan Flan

Made with five simple ingredients, this creamy and classic plant-based flan achieves the classic custard-y texture.

by BAILEY RUSKUS

MARCH 9, 2022

SERVES: 2

What you need:

For the flan:
1 cup cashew milk
1 can coconut cream
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
3 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 teaspoon agar agar

For the caramel:
¼ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup filtered water

What you do:

1. For the flan, into a high-powered blender, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
  2. Into a small saucepan over medium-low heat, pour flan mixture and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, being careful not to burn. Stir with a whisk consistently the entire time.
  3. Once desired texture is reached, remove from heat and set aside.
  4. For the caramel, into a separate saucepan over medium-low heat, add all ingredients. Stir with a rubber spatula consistently for 2 to 4 minutes until contents are reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside.
  5. Into two 5-inch ramekins, pour a thin layer of caramel. Carefully pour flan mixture on top, to the brim. Cover and place in refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours or overnight.
  6. Remover from refrigerator and place ramekin bottom in 2-inch lukewarm water for 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to get any water inside ramekin. Run a butter knife along edges to loosen flan.
  7. Place a small plate with edges on top of ramekin, squeeze together with both hands, and quickly flip over to release flan onto plate.

Happy Jewish New Year everyone!

Found this lovely borscht recipe that’s suitable for vegan diabetics, with loads of options to swap ingredients around for hot and cold versions. It doesn’t rely on potatoes, or the ‘traditional’ sour cream/yoghurt.

https://draxe.com/recipes/borscht-recipe/  Lots of history beforehand, so read, don’t just scroll. Methodology is below a stack of pics.

joanne said:

Happy Jewish New Year everyone!

Found this lovely borscht recipe that’s suitable for vegan diabetics, with loads of options to swap ingredients around for hot and cold versions. It doesn’t rely on potatoes, or the ‘traditional’ sour cream/yoghurt.

https://draxe.com/recipes/borscht-recipe/  Lots of history beforehand, so read, don’t just scroll. Methodology is below a stack of pics.

Shana Tova!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!