Vegan - Recipes, products and eateries!

shh said:

I tried to get deliveries from Shoprite when the pandemic hit but night or day I could never get a delivery slot. Although Trader Joe's is small so harder to social distance, Shoprite in WO is so big, certain times of the day it is almost empty so I go there with a mask. I'm double vaccinated so I feel pretty safe.

Learned about Kelly Girl Desserts and Pastries. She is at the Farmers Market in Trenton and has some wicked looking cakes. Also on FB.

There is a new vegan cafe on valley near Lackawanna called Michezo. Not much info on the website but I googled and it seems like plant based burgers and sandwiches are the focus with juices and smoothies  

https://www.michezovegan.com/

shh said:

There is a new vegan cafe on valley near Lackawanna called Michezo. Not much info on the website but I googled and it seems like plant based burgers and sandwiches are the focus with juices and smoothies  

https://www.michezovegan.com/

Thank you! One of my friends told me she saw something about to open so I joined a local neighborhood group on FB to keep track of it. I posted on my FB page about it coming and many of my out of town Vegan/Cat Rescue pals are ready to try it. 

Michezo Vegan Cafe in South Orange is now open!

i have two beautiful granddaughters who are vegan, so I took a closeup look at the menu. Fries? Macaroni and cheese? Are chickpeas the substitute for crab, chicken and pork?

If i take girls out for lunch, I want to be hip.

Looks like the chickpeas are subbing for crab and chicken. The pork is mushrooms, the beef is black beans. Wifeski is pescatarian, so I;ve tried a whole bunch of vegan alternatives and they rarely disappoint, so this omnivore is excited to give this place a try.

mtierney said:

i have two beautiful granddaughters who are vegan, so I took a closeup look at the menu. Fries? Macaroni and cheese? Are chickpeas the substitute for crab, chicken and pork?

If i take girls out for lunch, I want to be hip.

I'm going to concentrate on posting vegan eateries around the state. When I started this thread I did some recipes that I found and food products that are easy to find in the Supermarket. But I'm on a few FB sites where vegan friends share cafes that they dine at. My buddy, who does TNR around the state, eats out all the time and is vegan. Now that I now you are up for being a hipster grandmother, I'm going to post the ones that I'm finding. I big favorite among my vegan FB friends, is pizza, often served at places that offer non vegan options.

Stay tuned, I'm on a mission!

Pizza Nada in Bloomfield has great Vegan options.

Someone on Vegan New Jersey posted a nice review of their lunch from Michezo. They posted a few pictures.

Good Karma Cafe in Red Bank. Yum.

Hearing good reviews about this Vegan Vegetarian restaurant /take out with the fun name and a menu described as comfort food.

Vegans of Seitan

243 West St. George Ave

Linden, NJ.

Sold out for today. This was today's Memorial Day menu. 

Heard there is a good Vegan menu at Crust and Crumble in Asbury Park!

Locally: 

Had a great (mostly) vegan/GF meal from chutzpah in maplewood. I prefer ordering a la carte there, so we got all mezze: falafel, tahini, hummus, babaghanoush, carrots, beets, Israeli salad and chutzpah fries (which has a little feta but can get without). The menu is clearly labeled with vegan options. It’s so flavorful. I didn’t like ordering a bowl/platter, I like everything separate, YMMV. (Pita is on the side so it’s GF friendly)

Also I reached out to Michezo Vegan on Valley in SO and it seems most Of the menu items are GF without the bun and they will sub out the garlic Mac and cheeze for more broccoli/fries,

shh said:

Locally: 

Had a great (mostly) vegan/GF meal from chutzpah in maplewood. I prefer ordering a la carte there, so we got all mezze: falafel, tahini, hummus, babaghanoush, carrots, beets, Israeli salad and chutzpah fries (which has a little feta but can get without). The menu is clearly labeled with vegan options. It’s so flavorful. I didn’t like ordering a bowl/platter, I like everything separate, YMMV. (Pita is on the side so it’s GF friendly)

Also I reached out to Michezo Vegan on Valley in SO and it seems most Of the menu items are GF without the bun and they will sub out the garlic Mac and cheeze for more broccoli/fries,

@shh,

I find the Chutzpah take-out bowls keep things quite separate: Hummus in one section, the salad in the second (granted the Israeli salad and the cabbage are in one), and the main/protein in the third section, with the pita on the side. (And I always get extra pitas, since there's so much food in the bowls -- and it's quite delish). Now that I'm re-reading, I see you also get a lot of other items you still need to order separately.

And those "bowl" containers are awesome for storing things like Lego sets after a good wash.

sprout said:

@shh,

I find the Chutzpah take-out bowls keep things quite separate: Hummus in one section, the salad in the second (granted the Israeli salad and the cabbage are in one), and the main/protein in the third section, with the pita on the side. (And I always get extra pitas, since there's so much food in the bowls -- and it's quite delish). Now that I'm re-reading, I see you also get a lot of other items you still need to order separately.

And those "bowl" containers are awesome for storing things like Lego sets after a good wash.

I think I only got the bowl once and felt it was a little too mixed for my preference, plus we like to get a few other sides. We probably spend more this way but get at least two meals out of it, probably more. Today I can add all the mezze to my own greens and still have plenty left for others to have with pita. 

shh said:

Locally: 

Ooo, you had my at babaghanoush! I'll give it a try!

I've always used Vegenaise as a mayo substitute but Shoprite is stocking Helman's vegan mayo and it works for me. I've been using them with a dash of Annie's Organic Horseradish Mustard or Heinz India Relish. What I lack in cooking effort, I supplement with condiments!

Shout out to Good Housekeeping, a magazine most moms browsed for meal planning, holiday recipes and food products. An American standard has apparently recognized the way Vegans are changing our ideas on American cuisine. Here it is with their promise that some of these recipes will make you forget meat and dairy.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/g807/vegan-recipes/

The Baklava Lady in Englishtown: All vegan.

Baklava

Spinach and vegan cheese Spanakopita.

Sausage, egg and cheese.

Just a quote on Vegans in the stock market shared from Karen Dawn of Dawnwatch.

In honor of the Oatly IPO tomorrow, Thursday May 19, today we have the New York Times headline: "With Investments in Oatly, Some Big Money Is Now Going Vegan." (Page B3). Online the fun headline just reads, "The Big Money Is Going Vegan," and the subheading is, "Oatly, maker of dairy alternatives, could be worth $10 billion when it lists on the stock market this week. The share sale is a barometer of changing consumer preferences." The article is by Jack Ewing and Lauren Hirsch.

While mostly about the Oatly IPO, it includes information about other companies doing well, noting, "Oat milk is part of a larger trend toward food that mimics animal products.

Senator Cory Booker, favorite Vegan politician, stops by for a snack at Maplewood's Yellow Rose Vegan Bakery & Cafe!

Morganna said:

Senator Cory Booker, favorite Vegan politician, stops by for a snack at Maplewood's Yellow Rose Vegan Bakery & Cafe!

My daughter works there and said he was great, and genuinely excited to be there.  He’d joked he was going to get there early just so he could be first in line.  Ordered a bunch of things for a brunch he was throwing, and hung around afterwards taking pictures and chatting with staff and patrons for a while.  

ctrzaska said:

My daughter works there and said he was great, and genuinely excited to be there.  He’d joked he was going to get there early just so he could be first in line.  Ordered a bunch of things for a brunch he was throwing, and hung around afterwards taking pictures and chatting with staff and patrons for a while.  

Hate to sound like a groupie, but I have followed Cory on FB for years. I'm on several Vegan FB sites and other than Cory and Tulsi we don't have many Vegan pols. Guess you could count Matthew Scully Republican speech writer but that might be it.

He also wins my heart as he has picked People for Animals as one of his 3 fav charities for years. Too bad South Orange turned down their bid to take over the old JAC. 

Well NYC has elected it's first Vegan Mayor!

I usually don't stop into this thread, but I saw this event coming up and thought it was worth posting.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-jersey-vegan-food-festival-presented-by-the-vegan-local-tickets-164189446053

mrincredible said:

I usually don't stop into this thread, but I saw this event coming up and thought it was worth posting.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-jersey-vegan-food-festival-presented-by-the-vegan-local-tickets-164189446053

Thank you! There have been a few this summer. My FB groups flood me with great recipes, not that I knock myself out making many of them. I'm a bit lazy in the kitchen but I do like to share some of the yummy looking ones.

LaSalePute said:

What's the point? Everyone dies around the same age anyway. 

Some people prefer to eat a vegetarian diet. Some take it even further and live a solely plant-based existence. There are some pretty tasty meals that don't include meat or dairy. While there may be some health benefits we can argue about some people enjoy eating those foods and don't miss the others. Conversely, some people prefer a diet that is predominantly meat. Having some enjoyment in something we have to do would be at least one important point. Regarding the efficacy of a vegan diet, I would refer you to my many IronMan racing friends who are plant-powered. They're faster than you are.

And the US Census and Social Security folks would have a bone (see what I did there?) to pick with you about the "around the same age anyway" thing.

There are other things to argue about I'm sure, so have at it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.