Vegan - Recipes, products and eateries!

This looks easy. I haven't tried it yet but I think its time for some experimenting. I've fallen into a bit of a cooking rut.

Vegan Mug Cake with Pineapple and MintRecipe bysmileiabeticaeAgora

"Most mug cakes are made with chocolate - this tropical vegan mug cake version is made with fresh pineapple, banana, coconut cream, and mint. No chocolate in sight! Just the way I like it."SaveI Made ItRate itPrintPinShare

Ingredients

13 m2 servings196 cals
  • 2 slices fresh pineapple
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 2 tablespoons cream of coconut
  • 1 tablespoon rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon quick-cooking oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 leaves fresh mint
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
  • Add all ingredients to list

Directions

  • Prep

    5 m
  • Cook

    3 m
  • Ready In

    13 m
  1. Combine pineapple, banana, cream of coconut, rolled oats, quick-cooking oats, baking powder, mint, chia seeds, and poppy seeds in a blender; blend until smooth. Pour into 2 mugs.
  2. Microwave at the highest setting until mug cakes have set and risen well, about 3 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
You might also like
Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

See how to make delicious chocolate cake in the microwave.

Get the magazineGet a full year for just $10!Cook 5-star weekday dinners every time.

Nutrition Facts


Per Serving: 196 calories; 4.7 g fat; 39.1 g carbohydrates; 2.4 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 70 mg sodium. Full nutrition

Here's a muffin recipe right in time for fall.

  • AUTHOR NOTES

These are the ultimate healthy breakfast muffin: delicious and fragrant and full of raisins, apples, carrots, and fresh date paste as a healthy sweetener. If you like a slightly sweeter muffin, add some sugar to the recipe (as instructed). —Gena Hamshaw

  • MAKES1 dozen
Ingredients send grocery list
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons flax meal
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon ginger, ground)
  • 1 cup date paste (https://food52.com/recipes...)
  • 1/2 cup organic sugar
  • 1 cup soy or almond milk
  • 6 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
  • 1 small apple, grated

Directions
  1. Preheat your oven to 350° F. Line 12 muffin tins with liners, or oil them lightly.
  2. Mix the flax meal and warm water together; set the mixture aside to let it "gel."
  3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the raisins, walnuts, and ginger.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the date paste, sugar if desired, non-dairy milk, and oil. Stir in the flax mixture.
  5. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones until everything is well incorporated, and then fold in the carrot and apple.
  6. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Allow them to cool before enjoying.

Speakin’ o’ sweet treats, Talk Like  A Pirate Day is fast approachin’, make haste an’ forage yer rations!

https://mealplannerpro.com/member-recipes/Vegan-and-Gluten-Free-Pirate-Cookies-626330
question   Mad Red Tess, Cap’n


Haha smile I nearly posted that meself!
Arr!  question - Mad Red Tess, Cap’n


joanne said:

Haha
smile
I nearly posted that meself!
Arr! 
question
- Mad Red Tess, Cap’n

 I'm working on a name for my inner pirate.


Just tried Justin’s Maple Almond Butter.   Vegan and really delicious!  The sugar content is not bad, either.


phoenix24 said:

Just tried Justin’s Maple Almond Butter.   Vegan and really delicious!  The sugar content is not bad, either.

 Where did you find it. It sounds like something I could use on vegan pancakes. Actually I haven't found the whole wheat pancake mix I used. It was an Aunt Jemima product and although I see the buttermilk mix, I haven't seen a whole wheat brand through the entire pandemic.


Morganna said:

 Where did you find it. It sounds like something I could use on vegan pancakes. Actually I haven't found the whole wheat pancake mix I used. It was an Aunt Jemima product and although I see the buttermilk mix, I haven't seen a whole wheat brand through the entire pandemic.

 I found it at Shoprite in Millburn. Whole Foods sells it, too along with vegan pancakes.


phoenix24 said:

 I found it at Shoprite in Millburn. Whole Foods sells it, too along with vegan pancakes.

 I just came back from Shoprite West Orange, that one is closer to me. I should have looked. Is it in with the butter, and other dairy?


Morganna said:

 I just came back from Shoprite West Orange, that one is closer to me. I should have looked. Is it in with the butter, and other dairy?

 It is where the peanut butter is at the Shoprite in Millburn.


phoenix24 said:

 It is where the peanut butter is at the Shoprite in Millburn.

 Ah now I get it. I was thinking it was a flavored butter. It is a variation of peanut butter. Cool. I love maple as a flavor. 

Do you ever use agave as a sweetener. I'm hooked. I grew up as a honey person, so agave came as a perfect substitute when I moved further into being vegan.


Morganna said:

 Ah now I get it. I was thinking it was a flavored butter. It is a variation of peanut butter. Cool. I love maple as a flavor. 

Do you ever use agave as a sweetener. I'm hooked. I grew up as a honey person, so agave came as a perfect substitute when I moved further into being vegan.

 It is an almond butter.  I never tried agave. I will have to try it.


We ate Greek ‘weeds’ with our dinner tonight: a dear friend gave me a bag of horta that she’d prepared (sans roots!) so’s all I had to do was chop then cook the leaves an’ stems.  yum! 
https://elenisaltas.com/2016/02/15/chapter-three-pass-me-the-horta/

Chicory, not listed above. Worth a king’s ransom  question

- Mad Red Tess, Cap’n o’ Th’Aweful Buccaneer o’Hell



joanne said:

We ate Greek ‘weeds’ with our dinner tonight: a dear friend gave me a bag of horta that she’d prepared (sans roots!) so’s all I had to do was chop then cook the leaves an’ stems.  yum! 
https://elenisaltas.com/2016/02/15/chapter-three-pass-me-the-horta/

Chicory, not listed above. Worth a king’s ransom 
question

- Mad Red Tess, Cap’n o’ Th’Aweful Buccaneer o’Hell

 Horta is new to me. I'll have to see if we have it here.

Thanks for the tip Mad Red Tess!


Found this for Rosh Hashanah

Squash or Gourd

Squash or gourd is called “qara” in Aramaic and Hebrew. “Qara” has two meanings. It can mean “to read, or to call out.” It can also mean “to rip or tear up.” The following prayer is recited over the gourd:

“Yehi ratzon milfanecha Adonai Eloheinu she yeekorah g’zar dee’neinu ve yeekaroo lefahnecha zechuyoteinu.”
“May it be your will Adonai our God that our harsh decrees are torn up and our merits are proclaimed before You.”

Spaghetti squash and pumpkin are thought to be “qara.” Here is a traditional Rosh Hashanah recipe for Tirshi (Pumpkin Salad) adapted from Copeland Marks’ book, Sephardic Cooking
.
  • 1 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 1 lemon
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tblsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground paprika

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Check the seasoning. Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.


Morganna, you might not have noticed that in my Rosh haShana recipe thread I have a couple of vegan and veggo recipes. The vegetarian recipes can be adapted to vegan. cheese

My cousin baked apple and cinnamon challot - they looked so good and smelt so tempting that ‘someone’ (not the baker!) just about finished one before the official start of the chag! cheese


joanne said:

Morganna, you might not have noticed that in my Rosh haShana recipe thread I have a couple of vegan and veggo recipes. The vegetarian recipes can be adapted to vegan.
cheese
My cousin baked apple and cinnamon challot - they looked so good and smelt so tempting that ‘someone’ (not the baker!) just about finished one before the official start of the chag!
cheese

 I did see and thought of posting there but I thought that recipe to honor the day would spice up the thread!


So we’re working up to Yom Kippur, and it’s probably time to start thinking of Breaking the Fast... most ‘smoked not-salmon’ is fancy marinated carrots. For something really delicious and different, try this: a version based on firm tofu

(Sorry about the ads) http://vegankittypatrol.blogspot.com/2014/01/vegan-lox-smoked-salmon-and-happy-new.html



OK, time to get this thread going again. It was tough competing with Soapbox All Politics last year so just going to post some random stuff to get me going.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/easy-vegan-recipes-for-beginners


Just a pancake with vegan ingredients. Pancake mix, replace milk with a plant based version and replace the egg with ENER-G egg replacer easy to find in Shoprite. Organic maple syrup. 


Heard good things about Yellow Rose Vegan  Bakery & Cafe in  Maplewood. They also have a Facebook page. Heard good things about their doughnuts.

https://www.yellowrosevegan.com/where-to-find-us

https://www.facebook.com/YellowRoseVegan/


Morganna said:

Heard good things about Yellow Rose Vegan  Bakery & Cafe in  Maplewood. They also have a Facebook page. Heard good things about their doughnuts.

https://www.yellowrosevegan.com/where-to-find-us

https://www.facebook.com/YellowRoseVegan/

 I picked up some treats on Saturday. I’m not vegan but GF and they have some of that too. Got my husband (non GF) stuffed cookies and a donut and myself I got GF: a cookies-and-cream donut (chocolate glazed) and a chocolate chip cookie. I try not to eat too much dessert but these were really, really good, rich and flavorful without being super sweet. The cookie was so much better than I expected. Hard to describe why but I’d get it again! 


shh said:

 I picked up some treats on Saturday. I’m not vegan but GF and they have some of that too. Got my husband (non GF) stuffed cookies and a donut and myself I got GF: a cookies-and-cream donut (chocolate glazed) and a chocolate chip cookie. I try not to eat too much dessert but these were really, really good, rich and flavorful without being super sweet. The cookie was so much better than I expected. Hard to describe why but I’d get it again! 

 Thanks for the review! I'm sold and will be making my way over there. I see quite a few companies that do some vegan meals are also gluten free. Daiya and I believe Amy's both sold in Shoprite have gluten free frozen pizzas.


You can check out their daily selection and order/pay online. They tell you when you can pickup. (My order was ready in five minutes.) so easy  



ive tried daiya pizza and don’t like it  however I have been getting a vegan cheese I like from imperfect foods. (I avoid most dairy too, even though I’m not vegan) MIYOKOS I think is the brand. I’d like to make my own vegan cheese. I’ve done it in the past but have seen a few different recipes I’d like to try  

Morganna said:

shh said:

 I picked up some treats on Saturday. I’m not vegan but GF and they have some of that too. Got my husband (non GF) stuffed cookies and a donut and myself I got GF: a cookies-and-cream donut (chocolate glazed) and a chocolate chip cookie. I try not to eat too much dessert but these were really, really good, rich and flavorful without being super sweet. The cookie was so much better than I expected. Hard to describe why but I’d get it again! 

 Thanks for the review! I'm sold and will be making my way over there. I see quite a few companies that do some vegan meals are also gluten free. Daiya and I believe Amy's both sold in Shoprite have gluten free frozen pizzas.

 


https://miyokos.com/collections/all

This is it. I HAVE not been going to many supermarkets so I haven’t seen in person but imperfect has it regularly. I find if I order vegan cheese and veggie burgers, tofu and a few other items I easily get the $60 for free shipping. (They have produce too so I’ll add some of that if I only need a few things.) 


shh said:

https://miyokos.com/collections/all

This is it. I HAVE not been going to many supermarkets so I haven’t seen in person but imperfect has it regularly. I find if I order vegan cheese and veggie burgers, tofu and a few other items I easily get the $60 for free shipping. (They have produce too so I’ll add some of that if I only need a few things.) 

 I didn't care for the Daiya pizza either but I do like Amy's vegan cheese pizza. I top it after it's baked with sauteed onions, mushrooms and spinach. I was doing a bit of the GBOMBS diet, greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds. I think it was called the Nutritarian diet. I also do a bit of the Rainbow diet, just suggests you eat fruits and veggies of each color. They kind of work well with being vegan.

Any reason you don't go to supermarkets? They are carrying more specialty foods. I order a few things like Protein Powder online, since I rarely find vegan protein powders in Shoprite, and since Covid I don't have the patience to wait on a line to get into Trader Joes.


Their double chocolate cookie is awesome 


I guess I could have been clearer, with Covid I’m limiting my supermarket trips. I supplement with some online orders

Morganna said:

 I didn't care for the Daiya pizza either but I do like Amy's vegan cheese pizza. I top it after it's baked with sauteed onions, mushrooms and spinach. I was doing a bit of the GBOMBS diet, greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds. I think it was called the Nutritarian diet. I also do a bit of the Rainbow diet, just suggests you eat fruits and veggies of each color. They kind of work well with being vegan.

Any reason you don't go to supermarkets? They are carrying more specialty foods. I order a few things like Protein Powder online, since I rarely find vegan protein powders in Shoprite, and since Covid I don't have the patience to wait on a line to get into Trader Joes.

 


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Advertise here!

Sponsored Business

Find Business