Twitter is a Private Company

Relatively easy enough to run a social network. Very difficult to run one that's profitable, and even more so one that's profitable and at a global scale. Probably impossible to do so without advertiser money.

Further on my previous point -- Musk is running into some realities around "free speech" that ideologues like to wave away -- that free speech means you can say what you like, but others are also free to respond as they like. He's bought twitter. He can run it however he wants. But if advertisers don't like the way he's running it, and don't want to spend any money on twitter, they're free to do that as well. None of this is a big woke conspiracy, that's just the way the world works. Say what you like, but don't whine when people respond as they like.

Of course, as a billionaire, it's probably all a bit disconcerting, as when billionaires talk about free speech, what they generally mean is that they should be able to say and do as they like without being bothered by what other people say and want. Too bad Musk probably won't learn anything from all of this.

PVW said:

Relatively easy enough to run a social network. 

I mean, seriously, how hard could it be?  cheese

nohero said:

I mean, seriously, how hard could it be? 
cheese

ask Jamie…. Why do you think Dave ran away to Hong Kong? It’s not easy 

I'm here for the 24-hr dim sum place down the block.

Trump is back on Twitter, but not posting.  About 3 hours before this post he was following no one; now he's following 49 people.  Looks like Lou Dobbs was his first Follow. 

Musk is an agent of chaos. 

Yeah, but the question is, is it deliberate, or is it that he's just horrible?

It's just been one long string of terrible decisions.

drummerboy said:

Yeah, but the question is, is it deliberate, or is it that he's just horrible?

It's just been one long string of terrible decisions.

I have a feeling it’s a case of both.He even fired the people in charge of badges, then had to beg them to let him in because they locked him out.

GoSlugs said:

Given the fact that almost the entire security staff has resigned, you have to figure that hackers are just having a field day exploring Twitter's virtual viscera.

On Trump's reinstatement, like all good businessmen, Elon Musk can count:

I just unfolllowed Trump. Now that he isn't POTUS, I don't need to be alerted if he tweets anymore. 

paulsurovell said:

On Trump's reinstatement, like all good businessmen, Elon Musk can count:

I don’t think those MyPillow ads are going to be enough to make up for other losses in advertisements. 

paulsurovell said:

GoSlugs said:

Given the fact that almost the entire security staff has resigned, you have to figure that hackers are just having a field day exploring Twitter's virtual viscera.

Right, whatever security concerns there are on the Twitter shouldn’t affect the users, although they should watch out for any hack that spoofs their account to deceive readers. 

paulsurovell said:

GoSlugs said:

Am I the only one here who finds it amusing that, after all of his rants about the evil "MSM" and the glories of sputnik.ru, it turns out that Paul has secretly been keeping track of CBS on Twitter?

I guess every once in a while even the most earnest tools have to pull their heads out of their ***** and find out what's really going on.

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

nohero said:

I don’t think those MyPillow ads are going to be enough to make up for other losses in advertisements. 

the voting numbers aren't the important ones to Twitter's business. The relevant question is -- did deactivating Trump's account cause as many right wingers to abandon Twitter as it could cause non-right wingers to leave now that he's reinstated. 

And as you are saying, which advertisers decide to leave because it's  not worth the hassle. 

Kanye west is back on…. I will be delighted to see Twitter crash and burn.

ml1 said:

the voting numbers aren't the important ones to Twitter's business. The relevant question is -- did deactivating Trump's account cause as many right wingers to abandon Twitter as it could cause non-right wingers to leave now that he's reinstated. 

Musk’s own “referendum” results say that people who wanted Trump on the Twitter didn’t leave just because he was gone. 

Apparently, Twitter's system for filtering copyrighted content has collapsed, leaving the company open to massive lawsuits (assuming it still exists by the time they are filed).  Obviously, the company itself will have some recourse to bankruptcy protection but I wonder whether Bruh King Musk himself might also be libel since his reckless actions led so directly to these outcomes.

Do libertarian bruhs believe in copyright?  On the one hand, it protects personal property (of a sort).  On the other hand, it could be seen to bottle up expression.

Terp, educate me about your people!

who's the bigger suck-up?

Well now trumpenstein is ignoring Twitter. So will musk go further up his hind leg? Is Russia somehow involved with musk? Something just don’t add up with this Afrikaner…

Jaytee said:

Well now trumpenstein is ignoring Twitter. So will musk go further up his hind leg? 

When the going gets weird, the weird get bizarre.

The bots at the Twitter dismiss any reporting of that image.

Musk is a total clown.

Whoops. Pesky laws keep getting in Elon's way.

https://www.reuters.com/business/disabled-employee-sues-twitter-over-musks-ban-remote-work-2022-11-17/

Nov 17 (Reuters) - Twitter Inc (TWTR.MX) owner Elon Musk's mandate that employees stop working remotely and put in "long hours at high intensity" discriminates against workers with disabilities, a new lawsuit claims.

Dmitry Borodaenko, a California-based engineering manager who said Twitter fired him this week when he refused to report to the office, filed a proposed class action against the company in San Francisco federal court on Wednesday.

drummerboy said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/06/trump-climate-change-elon-musk/528906/

Elon Musk Quits Donald Trump

The Tesla and SpaceX CEO said Thursday he would leave the president’s advisory boards over the Paris agreement withdrawal.

By Marina Koren June 1, 2017

It seemed like an odd pairing from the start: Elon Musk, the brilliant South African immigrant who runs companies that build electric cars and lease solar panels to homeowners, and Donald Trump, the television-obsessed politician who repeatedly describes climate change as a hoax.

Musk joined the president’s advisory councils a month after the election last year, along with a band of high-profile tech executives. Trump’s election seemed like it could hurt those in the renewable-energy business, and Musk seemed to hop on board in part to get the president’s ear. It also helped that Trump supported partnerships between NASA and private spaceflight company’s like Musk’s SpaceX. The partnership seemed shaky from the beginning, with Musk criticizing Trump’s executive order banning immigration from seven predominantly Muslim nations.

On Wednesday, as rumors of the Trump administration’s decision to withdraw the United States from the Paris climate accord swirled, Musk said he was leaving the advisory councils over the move. On Thursday, after Trump announced the nation would indeed exit the agreement, Musk followed through on his promise:

Am departing presidential councils. Climate change is real. Leaving Paris is not good for America or the world.  — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 1, 2017

He also tweeted a pointed message referencing China, Trump’s favorite culprit for many global ailments, particularly rising temperatures:

Under Paris deal, China committed to produce as much clean electricity by 2030 as the US does from all sources today https://t.co/F8Ppr2o7Rl   — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 1, 2017

Others in the technology sector have also voiced their disappointment.

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/06/trump-climate-change-elon-musk/528906/

Elon Musk Quits Donald Trump

The Tesla and SpaceX CEO said Thursday he would leave the president’s advisory boards over the Paris agreement withdrawal.

By Marina Koren June 1, 2017

It seemed like an odd pairing from the start: Elon Musk, the brilliant South African immigrant who runs companies that build electric cars and lease solar panels to homeowners, and Donald Trump, the television-obsessed politician who repeatedly describes climate change as a hoax.

Musk joined the president’s advisory councils a month after the election last year, along with a band of high-profile tech executives. Trump’s election seemed like it could hurt those in the renewable-energy business, and Musk seemed to hop on board in part to get the president’s ear. It also helped that Trump supported partnerships between NASA and private spaceflight company’s like Musk’s SpaceX. The partnership seemed shaky from the beginning, with Musk criticizing Trump’s executive order banning immigration from seven predominantly Muslim nations.

On Wednesday, as rumors of the Trump administration’s decision to withdraw the United States from the Paris climate accord swirled, Musk said he was leaving the advisory councils over the move. On Thursday, after Trump announced the nation would indeed exit the agreement, Musk followed through on his promise:

Am departing presidential councils. Climate change is real. Leaving Paris is not good for America or the world.  — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 1, 2017

He also tweeted a pointed message referencing China, Trump’s favorite culprit for many global ailments, particularly rising temperatures:

Under Paris deal, China committed to produce as much clean electricity by 2030 as the US does from all sources today https://t.co/F8Ppr2o7Rl   — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 1, 2017

Others in the technology sector have also voiced their disappointment.

do you have a point?

GoSlugs said:

paulsurovell said:

GoSlugs said:

Am I the only one here who finds it amusing that, after all of his rants about the evil "MSM" and the glories of sputnik.ru, it turns out that Paul has secretly been keeping track of CBS on Twitter?

I guess every once in a while even the most earnest tools have to pull their heads out of their ***** and find out what's really going on.

oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh

Speaking of heads, you're in over yours. I monitor Glenn. You should too, you might learn something.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!