The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

mjc said:

Agreed.  I was never ever going to get phablet (totally new to me), heeltap, or heptathlete.  (and in fact the spell check here on MOL does not recognize any of them, either, so there).

The way they select words is occassionaly ridiculous.  "Phablet" is a good example.

yahooyahoo said:

mjc said:

Agreed.  I was never ever going to get phablet (totally new to me), heeltap, or heptathlete.  (and in fact the spell check here on MOL does not recognize any of them, either, so there).

The way they select words is occassionaly ridiculous.  "Phablet" is a good example.

Agreed, but I guess a 26 year old editor of a puzzle is going to throw boomers a few curves. 

mjc said:

never for me too on those three "phablet" "heeltap" and "heptathlete"...but I also missed "aleph" and "baht" for a total of 5 short of QB.

alha said:

mjc said:

never for me too on those three "phablet" "heeltap" and "heptathlete"...but I also missed "aleph" and "baht" for a total of 5 short of QB.

Wow! That was much better than I did! Nice work!

Feh on their weird words--and I have a pretty weird and eclectic vocabulary meself.

I am just happy to get Amazing every day--that is my goal to shoot for.  Once in a while I get to Genius and I congratulate myself.  Then again, I do these first thing in the morning before I start work, so I do not have a lot of time to sit and ponder.  Then again again, I probably could sit and ponder for hours and not get anywhere near Queen Bee.

there are two words that are NOT in today's puzzle that I can't believe aren't included. Is it ok here to write a word that isn't in the puzzle, or is that considered a spoiler?

My vote would be wait till tomorrow.

Yesterday's puzzle did NOT have "amaro" and "kaboom." But it had "phablet" the day before? C'mon!

Surprised about kaboom.

Yesterday's puzzle did have backcomb (my last word, way too late), which i'll take as a nod to the 50s-60s, sort of an anti-phablet.  (did anyone backcomb their hair after about 1965?)

ml1 said:

Yesterday's puzzle did NOT have "amaro" and "kaboom." But it had "phablet" the day before? C'mon!

I would not have gotten amaro, but I did try kaboom several times, spelled differently. 

mjc said:

Surprised about kaboom.

Yesterday's puzzle did have backcomb (my last word, way too late), which i'll take as a nod to the 50s-60s, sort of an anti-phablet.  (did anyone backcomb their hair after about 1965?)

I got backcomb, but missed (among other words) morocco. I never think of it as a non-proper noun.

Just got QB!

Last word was pretty much an educated guess.

jimmurphy said:

Just got QB!

Last word was pretty much an educated guess.

Congratulations!

jimmurphy said:

QB again. Ho hum… 
cheese

double congrats on your back-to-back QB's.  question question

I'm one away and stuck 

Got the QB yesterday. Gave in and used the hints for the last word. It was "grog."

vampire

ml1 said:

Got the QB yesterday. Gave in and used the hints for the last word. It was "grog."

vampire

I got "grog" but no QB for me yesterday...missed "gorp", "grippy" "grody" and "gyro", words I never heard of except for "gyro"

alha said:

ml1 said:

vampire

I got "grog" but no QB for me yesterday...missed "gorp", "grippy" "grody" and "gyro", words I never heard of except for "gyro"

I object to gorp being included. It is an acronym for trail mix: good old raisins and peanuts.

alha said:

ml1 said:

vampire

the part that had me saying "d'oh!" was that I had "groggy" but not "grog." If I had just read through my list a couple more times I probably would have got it without the hint.

Four misses yesterday.

Titivate, titivated, veld, and veldt.

Who came up with that word list- one of the Gabor sisters?!  question

Finally got Queen Bee! I’ve been close before, but this is the first time I got them all!!!

cody said:

Finally got Queen Bee! I’ve been close before, but this is the first time I got them all!!!

congrats on your first QB and may you get many more!  question 

eta: I'm one away from QB today and likely to stay that way

I'm one away, and even with a hint I'm blocked.

ml1 said:

I'm one away, and even with a hint I'm blocked.

Two away but I didn't start until after 3pm after driving from Lancaster PA and staying up after 2am for a wedding/after-party. I feel accomplished that I got that far! 

cody said:

Woo hoo! Congrats!

KarenMarlowe said:

Woo hoo! Congrats!

thank you! Probably  won't happen again for a long time!

I had no idea "wildwood" was anything other than a town on the Jersey Shore.

ml1 said:

I only got it due to a previous puzzle.  

Been one-away for a few hours now today...

ml1 said:

I got "wildwood" but missed "lowdown" for QB yesterday

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!