The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

"Heme" was a word I had been unfamiliar with before seeing it in a puzzle a couple of months back. It paid off yesterday grin

"Namecheck" is a strange word but it's familiar enough to me. Sometimes there are compound words that I think are really two separate words, and sometimes it's vice-versa. 

72 words for QB today. Anyone who gets it should receive a special award for persistence. I made Genius and I'm at 54. I can't see getting 18 more. 

ml1 said:

72 words for QB today. Anyone who gets it should receive a special award for persistence. I made Genius and I'm at 54. I can't see getting 18 more. 

abso-freakin-lutely!

I bailed out once I got the two pangrams and reached genius.  That took a while.

I hit the wall at 63 words...good enough for me with room to spare

alha said:

I hit the wall at 63 words...good enough for me with room to spare

I didn't make it. Granted I went to the new biergarten instead.grin Got there just before opening and it was already packed. It's a lovely space. Hoping it will stay that way.  

QB-1 since early today.
#frustrated

mjc said:

me too 
grin
question

me too but also missed two others: :"negligee" and 'glen" 

jimmurphy said:

Genii

I got "genii" but missed "genie"  vampire

Struggled to Genius today. Last 3 points were 4-letter words. 

jimmurphy said:

not there yet. The past week or so have had a few puzzles where the words just aren't appearing for me.

ml1 said:

not there yet. The past week or so have had a few puzzles where the words just aren't appearing for me.

Same here.

jimmurphy said:

made it to Genius and came within 3 words of QB but that's it for me today. I'm done...or done in...as the case may be

jimmurphy said:

Same here.

same here too...I've missed some words that I simply did not see.

QB today! Good day to go for it.

Cannot get the last word today! Grrr!

I am currently one word short. I'm going to keep staring at it grin

I got the QB in one minute after returning to the puzzle. Funny, it's the second time I've posted here that I was one short and got the last word immediately after going back grin

Last word took a while.  Like ml1's, it showed up pretty quickly when i came back to the puzzle after a break.

Four short yesterday but I gave up pretty early in the day. I still might have missed avatar.

missed these two yesterday: "larval" and "travail" 

yesterday's last word: virility

(disclaimer: as usual, i was using the hints)

"Larval" was my last word. I should have got it a lot sooner, considering that I got "larva" pretty early on.

mjc said:

yesterday's last word: virility

(disclaimer: as usual, i was using the hints)

Missed virility, larva and larval (rookie move) and avatar, as mentioned prior. Those were the four.

QB for me today.... question  

alha said:

QB for me today....
question

Me too! First in a while.

Got it today. Admit I used hints for the last word. Which I should have got without ANY hints. 

Missed by 1 yesterday - and it was also the pangram - and not unfamiliar....

(even with hints)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.