The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

bikefixed said:

jimmurphy said:

It’s words like “linnet” that will likely prevent me from ever getting QB. Missed three.

Today’s pangram is a toughie.

Yeah, it was weird.

The pangram for today was the first word I saw. Yesterday, I missed a lot of easy ones, including a couple I thought I had entered. I did get linnet. 

jimmurphy said:

The real value comes the day after when you learn such words.

The real value is the spelling friends you meet along the way.

marylago said:

The pangram for today was the first word I saw. . 

Me too!   (June 4 game; middle letter D)

marylago said:

The pangram for today was the first word I saw. Yesterday, I missed a lot of easy ones, including a couple I thought I had entered. I did get linnet. 

The word only entered my vocabulary in the last few years. Such an oddly constructed and spelled word. To me, anyway.

I keep wanting to spell eyepad.

marylago said:

bikefixed said:

jimmurphy said:

It’s words like “linnet” that will likely prevent me from ever getting QB. Missed three.

Yeah, it was weird.

Yeah, it just jumped out at me today too.

jimmurphy said:

linnet, along with lintel and intel, are the kinds of words that will keep me from ever getting QB Today's pangram is tough, but I got it because at least it's a word I'm familiar with.

ETA: I'm done...and done in...for the day....48 words/208 points and that's more than good enough for me.

Just 'cuz I needed to not see that lighthouse no more.

Carry on.

bikefixed said:

Carry on.

More thread appropriate:

Done at 43 words, 189 points. Can't anymore today. The battle resumes tomorrow.

made it to genius today- no pangram 

bikefixed said:

Carry on.

Finally, someone else who enjoys Vertex! 

mtierney said:

Finally, someone else who enjoys Vertex! 

I am, and always have been, a puzzle junkie. I used to buy Dell puzzle books at the newsstand. Vertex is a must every day. 

marylago said:

I am, and always have been, a puzzle junkie. I used to buy Dell puzzle books at the newsstand. Vertex is a must every day. 

Part of my morning routine — with a cup of coffee! grin

Today's puzzle with the center L was one of those where the first word I saw was a pangram. As I approached Genius, I saw a second pangram. All in all, I'm happy with my 50 words, 154 points.

alha said:

Today's puzzle with the center L was one of those where the first word I saw was a pangram. As I approached Genius, I saw a second pangram. All in all, I'm happy with my 50 words, 154 points.

I'm at 50 words, 153 points -- so funny how word counts and points can diverge.

As for today's pangrams, I found a couple, and you could put together a good argument with them ;-)

PVW said:

alha said:

As for today's pangrams, I found a couple, and you could put together a good argument with them ;-)

Stuck at just-barely-genius... 46 words; 134 points. I know there are very simple words I missed. I can see them; I just can't find them.

marylago said:

Stuck at just-barely-genius... 46 words; 134 points. I know there are very simple words I missed. I can see them; I just can't find them.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.  Although I've found both pangrams, I'm stuck on 35 words and 115 points ... with just five minutes left to run on this particular game.

PVW said:

The points are based on the length of the word...the longer the word, the greater the points. A four-letter is worth only 1 point, so if you have a lot of those, you'll have a high word count but a low point count.

Today's center letter Y puzzle is a real doozy...I kept plugging away at it and managed to slowly get to 27 words/ 135 points. That's it for me today...so close to QB but once again not happening.

alha said:

Today's center letter Y puzzle is a real doozy...I kept plugging away at it and managed to slowly get to 27 words/ 135 points. That's it for me today...so close to QB but once again not happening.

It was stupid because I always think of the word as two. And some of the other words were just bogus. I am at 24/113. The "Assistant" says there are only 136 points... you are only one four letter word away.

Today's game (central letter D) is also a doozy.

17 words (including the pangram) / 63 points ... and already at genius level, which suggests to me that there aren't many words to be found.

Then again, I could be totally off-beam.

marksierra said:

There's a phrase for the etymology thread -- haven't heard "off-beam" before (the form I know is "off base").

marksierra said:

Today's game (central letter D) is also a doozy.

17 words (including the pangram) / 63 points ... and already at genius level, which suggests to me that there aren't many words to be found.

The pangram was the first word I saw today. I was able to get to Genius pretty quickly and then slowly added a few more words here and there to end up with 22 words/77 points...that's going to be it for me today.

marylago said:

It was stupid because I always think of the word as two. And some of the other words were just bogus. I am at 24/113. The "Assistant" says there are only 136 points... you are only one four letter word away.

The word I missed was a word I thought was a prefix.

alha said:

marylago said:

The word I missed was a word I thought was a prefix.

I hated yesterday's puzzle. Full of slangy words, and as you said, the prefix. Seriously, yoohoo is a word?

I DID IT! First time ever!

marylago said:

omg....congrats!! I applaud you but don't expect to join you any time soon at that QB level.  There are just still too may words that are either obscure or unknown to me that will keep me from reaching QB any time soon, or maybe any time ever  downer

alha said:

marylago said:

omg....congrats!! I applaud you but don't expect to join you any time soon at that QB level.  There are just still too may words that are either obscure or unknown to me that will keep me from reaching QB any time soon, or maybe any time ever 
downer

You will! You are much better than I am on a daily basis. I was so surprised I made it!

I missed 5.

Rood? Rand?

I’ll never get QB…

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.