Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news & Bible verses

I prefer a less unpleasant analogy, such as this …But that is just me.

Do the Dems really think that, after the mid-terms, there will be time enough to fix the party before 2024? Seriously? The top of the ticket has to go.

mtierney said:

You stumped me with this one. 

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Because think about it. I’ve actually asked my team to do a Venn diagram. I love Venn diagrams. (Laughter.) I just love Venn diagrams. You know, the three circles — right? — sometimes there are more — and the intersection.

And so I asked them, “Show me from which states we are seeing attacks on voting rights.” One circle. “From which state are we seeing attacks on LGBTQ rights.” Another circle. “From which states are we seeing attacks on women’s health rights.” You would not be surprised to see the intersection.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/10/05/remarks-by-vice-president-harris-in-a-conversation-on-reproductive-rights/

ridski said:

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Because think about it. I’ve actually asked my team to do a Venn diagram. I love Venn diagrams. (Laughter.) I just love Venn diagrams. You know, the three circles — right? — sometimes there are more — and the intersection.

And so I asked them, “Show me from which states we are seeing attacks on voting rights.” One circle. “From which state are we seeing attacks on LGBTQ rights.” Another circle. “From which states are we seeing attacks on women’s health rights.” You would not be surprised to see the intersection.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/10/05/remarks-by-vice-president-harris-in-a-conversation-on-reproductive-rights/

Oh. I didn't realize it was that stupid.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

I was referring to the troll who left a pile of poop

are we in the wrong thread?

Please clean up after yourself MT

Thanks for the Venn link. Reading Harris is even worse than watching her speak! I think I’ll give Finnegan’s Wake another try.

mtierney said:

Thanks for the Venn link. Reading Harris is even worse than watching her speak! I think I’ll give Finnegan’s Wake another try.

So, you posted the "Harris in the Venn Diagram" cartoon, and you didn't know what the background reference was?

By the way, if these are the topics Ms. Mtierney is posting on this thread, they should change the name.

PVW said:

https://themillions.com/2022/10/why-bad-catholics-make-great-art.html

The article properly includes Bruce Springsteen in its list.

This is from an article, The Enduring Catholic Imagination of Bruce Springsteen | America Magazine

"In Born to Run (the autobiography), Springsteen shows that he is a far more reflective and deliberate artist than [Andrew] Greeley imagined. He turns out to be particularly thoughtful about his Catholic upbringing and its continuing importance to his life’s work. In one of the book’s earliest passages, he remembers standing with his sister 'like sideshow gawkers peering in through the huge wooden doors of our corner church, witnessing an eternal parade of baptisms, weddings, and funerals.' The Springsteen family lives 'literally, in the bosom of the Catholic Church, with the priest’s rectory, the nun’s convent, the St. Rose of Lima Church and grammar school all just a football’s toss away across a field of wild grass.' At St. Rose, he proves to be a highly inept altar boy, yet he still absorbs Catholicism deeply enough 'in his bones' that he would later conclude, just like Greeley, ‘that once you’re a Catholic, you’re always a Catholic.... I’m still on the team.'”

[Edited to add] The reference to Fr. Andrew Greeley is to an earlier essay, from 1988, Andrew Greeley on the Catholic Imagination of Bruce Springsteen | America Magazine

nohero said:

By the way, if these are the topics Ms. Mtierney is posting on this thread, they should change the name.

Why?

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Why?

Why? Because the Harris Venn Diagram cartoon doesn't fit in any of the three categories in the title. 

If you're going to keep including things like that, you could add, "and some misogynoir" to the title.

BTW, I read the "venn diagram" portion of Harris's remarks, and of course it made perfect sense. People who think otherwise might want to go for a checkup. If I had trouble understanding that, I'd be worried I'm suffering from a cognitive deficit of some sort. 

ml1 said:

BTW, I read the "venn diagram" portion of Harris's remarks, and of course it made perfect sense. People who think otherwise might want to go for a checkup. If I had trouble understanding that, I'd be worried I'm suffering from a cognitive deficit of some sort. 

I think most MAGATs are suffering from this malady…

It was Jamie’s decision to move this thread to the Soapbox forum about a year or so ago. Turns out, he was correct in that decision. 

The Pope has made a remarkable impact on the world by publicly addressing concerns affecting  people worldwide. The war in Ukraine, the threat of war in Taiwan, North Korea rumblings, etc, are all things to which the Pope has given his attention and advice..

nohero said:

mtierney said:

nohero said:

If you're going to keep including things like that, you could add, "and some misogynoir" to the title.

Why should I not include coverage on white women, as well, nohero?

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/252561/pope-francis-prayer-is-medicine-for-the-weary-soul

“The pope also offered thanks for the beatification of Blessed Giuseppe Bernardi and Blessed Mario Ghibaudo, Italian priests who were killed by the Nazis in World War II.

“In extreme danger, they did not abandon the people entrusted to them but assisted them even to the point of shedding their blood, sharing the tragic destiny of other fellow townspeople killed by the Nazis. May their example enkindle in priests the desire to be pastors after Christ’s heart, always alongside their people,” he said.

“Pope Francis highlighted an initiative by Aid to the Church in Need to have one million children pray the rosary on Oct. 18 and urged everyone to unite the prayers with these children.

“Let us unite ourselves to them and entrust the suffering people of Ukraine, and other people who are suffering due to war and any form of violence and misery, to Our Lady’s intercession,” he said.

As the King of Siam was alleged to say, “ It’s a puzzlement! This Tablet article nicely combines political, religious, and social issues

“Dear Reader,

“All my life I have looked up to whoever is prime minister as a person to admire and emulate where possible in terms of acuity, achievement and leadership. Every single prime minister, even Boris Johnson, I have regarded with respect as someone who has achieved something that I know is utterly beyond my own abilities. Until now. For the first time in more than six decades, we have a prime minister where I genuinely think I could do better. Obviously there has been a massive fail in the selection process. Maybe they should try what some people do with houses, and put the job out to lottery. Or to interview. Or give “dear oh dear” King Charles a go.

“Today I wrote up a story about this weekend’s Church Action on Poverty conference in Sheffield. One of those scheduled to speak is Deacon Andrew Crowley, who will be among a small group attending from St Patrick’s, Sheffield. He has been asked to say a few words about how they are responding to an invitation from a local school to provide a meal and a warm place. Later he clarified to me: “Our school is doing an amazing job – free meals for all, and an arrangement with Fareshare for families who need it. They approached us (second day of new school year) asking if we can work with them to provide a community meal / warm space for people. It is an exciting offer and we, as a parish, need to find ways of supporting this.” Since when did churches, traditionally formed to be icy-cold on the hottest of summer days, get to be thought of as “warm” spaces? How did they get so hot? I blame Vatican II. On second thoughts, rather than choosing me for PM, they should choose Deacon Andrew Crowley. If anyone can get done what needs to be done, it has to be somebody like him.”

Churches in America have a  long history of helping to provide food and shelter, and relocation, for homeless families, and helping them through county social services. Maplewood and South Orange parishioners volunteered, but I don’t know how that is working now with the increase in homelessness.

Maybe Ridski can explain why  the author, very politely, dissed the new PM.

Sadly, I don't have all day to explain what an absolute shambles Liz Truss is. Suffice to say she's just the latest in a string of terrible Conservative Party leaders who have ruined the country so badly that there are currently more food banks in the UK than branches of McDonalds.

So I'll just post this well-written piece from Time Magazine instead:

https://time.com/6222841/britain-leadership-crisis-liz-truss/

And point you in the direction of a live web cam that asks whether Liz Truss will last longer than a lettuce.

Liz Truss strikes me as the answer to the question "What if we ran an American Republican as PM of Britain"?

Except, of course, it'd have to be a pre-Trump Republican, because I can't imagine Truss trying to save her premiership by sending an armed mob into Westminster.

it's probably not a coincidence that the countries with a heavy Murdoch presence in their media have the worst conservative parties on the planet.

Ridski and ml1:  Murdoch, lettuces - you’ve been quietly checking up on Peter Dutton’s attempts to rehabilitate his reputation as an unsmiling Potato-head  oh oh

ridski said:

Sadly, I don't have all day to explain what an absolute shambles Liz Truss is. Suffice to say she's just the latest in a string of terrible Conservative Party leaders who have ruined the country so badly that there are currently more food banks in the UK than branches of McDonalds.

And point you in the direction of a live web cam that asks whether Liz Truss will last longer than a lettuce.

P.S.: what’s this I’m reading about Bannon trying to change large parts of the Constitution ???

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/19/steve-bannon-us-constitution-tea-party-republican-state-legislatures

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-20/james-webb-telescope-new-images-pillars-of-creation/101555176

Back to more theological topics, this photo and article could be in the Science category, I know. But the pic just makes me think of the Hands of Gd.

ridski said:

and the lettuce has won.

ridski said:

Lettuce is going strong, still, however.

UK Prime Minister Liz Truss resigns after failed budget and market turmoil (cnbc.com)

mtierney said:

update…

Did you not read, or not understand, the posts immediately before yours?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.