The 10 funniest jokes from the 2019 Edinburgh Fringe Festival

While recognising that humour is definitely subjective, these are the Top Ten funniest jokes, as chosen by Channel Dave from this year's Festival participants:

1. I keep randomly shouting out “Broccoli” and “Cauliflower”. I think I might have Florets. – Olaf Falafel

2. Someone stole my antidepressants. Whoever they are, I hope they’re happy. – Richard Stott

3. What’s driving Brexit? From here it looks like it’s probably the Duke of Edinburgh. – Milton Jones

4. A cowboy asked me if I could help him round up 18 cows. I said, “Yes, of course. That’s 20 cows.” – Jake Lambert

5. A thesaurus is great. There’s no other word for it. – Ross Smith

6. Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It’s the reason I get up in the morning. – Ross Smith

7. I accidentally booked myself on to an escapology course; I’m really struggling to get out of it. – Adele Cliff

8. After learning six hours of basic semaphore, I was flagging. – Richard Pulsford

9. To be or not to be a horse rider, that is Equestrian. – Mark Simmons

10. I’ve got an Eton-themed advent calendar, where all the doors are opened for me by my dad’s contacts. – Ivo Graham

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/aug/19/olaf-falafel-edinburgh-funniest-joke-award

Sounds like a lot of Stephen Wright disciples.

Milton Jones is definitely a Stephen Wright follower. His entire act is nothing but one-line dad jokes, which you begin by groaning at but eventually he wins you over. Have to admit I haven't heard of the rest of that pack.

So what does it mean that only one of the winners is a woman?

Were women comedians well-represented at the Fringe Festival?

Here's another list!

Steff Todd: My new boyfriend told me he’s got my face as his wallpaper, which I thought was cute until I saw his lounge.

Olaf Falafel: Actors who can cure my lisp? I’m pretty sure Anne Hathaway, but I’m going to ask Colin Firth.

Catherine Bohart: I suppose lesbian sex is a bit like cricket, in that it goes on for ever and there are a lot of men watching it at home, alone, on the internet.

Darren Harriott: My mum said she’s turning my room into a study. I doubt it, unless she’s doing a PhD on Coronation Street and Echo Falls rosé.

Alex Kealy: When applying for a job as an estate agent, the interviewer worried that my CV was a bit small. I said actually it’s really cosy and I was immediately hired.

Joz Norris: Do you reckon the band Chic ever found any takers for that free cow they were always trying to get rid of?

Ken Cheng: The other kids all called me “token” growing up. At least that’s what they put at the top of my Christmas cards. Sure, there was a space between the “to” and the “ken” but the point remains the same.

Lucy Beaumont: My auntie Barbara won’t buy free-range chickens because she says you don’t know where they’ve been.

Darren Walsh: Cat flaps are for pussies.

Flo and Joan: I know that Banksy’s my dad, because I never see him.

Okay I had to look up the last one and ended up watching this (slightly NSFW video, a couple of bits of profanity, nothing really shocking or offensive).

mfpark said:

Sounds like a lot of Stephen Wright disciples.

And one Ivo Graham adventist.

DaveSchmidt said:

And one Ivo Graham adventist.

Well, that was a pleasant discovery. I shall be watching his career very closely.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.