The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

In the meantime, Dems need to address the question, can the president serve the remainder of his first term, plus another four years? 

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/biden-trips-and-falls-during-air-force-academy-graduation-ceremony/

ridski said:

DaveSchmidt said:

PVW said:

ridski said:

Told you.

Predicting the obvious is barely predicting at all.

“Thankfully MOL has Ridski on the scene!”

Tomorrow morning, mtierney will post a National Review article about Biden tripping over a sandbag holding a teleprompter screen at the Air Force Academy commencement saying he's too old and unfit to be President.

Let me rephrase this. 20 seconds after I post this mtierney will post a National Review article about Biden tripping over a sandbag holding a teleprompter screen at the Air Force Academy commencement saying he's too old and unfit to be President.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

So, only the Township of Maplewood —and a handful  other, bigger cities —made the list of enlightened communities in the entire state? Getting on that bandwagon was a blatant political move. I doubt that many residents/taxpayers had a clue to what the township committee did.

What has the township done to remain a sanctuary city? I know many religious institutions have historically been there for the homeless, and perhaps the town provides funding.

But, I would like to see the township reaching out to the overflow of migrants in our sister sanctuary city neighborhoods that we see on the news nightly. Mayor has bused folks to Rhode Island! Why not Maplewood?

Maplewood might offer tent city space in parks, for example.

Braggadocio comes cheap; actions should have consequences, not bragging rights.

there's ignorance, and then there's stubborn ignorance. Why are you so resistant to learning what the term "sanctuary city" actually means?

Just google it, ml1…

“What is a sanctuary city?

A sanctuary city is a place that has decided to keep local resources to solve local problems. Some people think “sanctuary” means the city is harboring fugitives. That’s a misunderstanding of the term. A better term than sanctuary might be local control or safe city. I’ll use the terms sanctuary city and safe city interchangeably. A sanctuary city has limited the extent to which it will volunteer resources in support of federal immigration enforcement agents’ responsibility to enforce federal immigration law. These limits can take many forms: saying no to federal requests (known as “detainers”) to conduct joint patrols, refusing to jail an individual who has posted bond and a judge has said can be released, or refusing to gather more information—such as immigration status—than is needed to determine if an individual is eligible to receive services.

Any public place can take this path. Cities are the best-known examples, but counties, states, universities and school districts have also asserted that it’s not their responsibility to enforce immigration law.”

Pitting cities against state and federal laws could be interpreted as anarchy elsewhere in the world — no place for it in the United States of America.

mtierney said:

Just google it, ml1…

“What is a sanctuary city?

A sanctuary city is a place that has decided to keep local resources to solve local problems. Some people think “sanctuary” means the city is harboring fugitives. That’s a misunderstanding of the term. A better term than sanctuary might be local control or safe city. I’ll use the terms sanctuary city and safe city interchangeably. A sanctuary city has limited the extent to which it will volunteer resources in support of federal immigration enforcement agents’ responsibility to enforce federal immigration law. These limits can take many forms: saying no to federal requests (known as “detainers”) to conduct joint patrols, refusing to jail an individual who has posted bond and a judge has said can be released, or refusing to gather more information—such as immigration status—than is needed to determine if an individual is eligible to receive services.

Any public place can take this path. Cities are the best-known examples, but counties, states, universities and school districts have also asserted that it’s not their responsibility to enforce immigration law.”

Pitting cities against state and federal laws could be interpreted as anarchy elsewhere in the world — no place for it in the United States of America.

WTAF?

We can all see this, right? It's not just me?

ROTFLMAO!

It's like her account has been hacked by a bot.

mtierney said:

Every time I read a back and forth “conversation” such as the last few posts, I marvel how liberals husband their time so carefully, fearing, it seems, that their minds might be invaded by opposing information. 

“Five minutes”of exposure to someone’s opinions, outside the liberal pod, is scary and a tremendous waste of time.

FDR once said “ The only thing you have to fear, is fear itself.” If five minutes of exposure is enough time to change one’s POV, what have you got?

How are we to grow together as a people? 

Five minutes? 

Really?

You can't spend 20 years posting racist, sexist misogynistic nonsense from garbage sources and then wax indignant when no one takes you seriously.

mtierney said:

In the meantime, Dems need to address the question, can the president serve the remainder of his first term, plus another four years? 

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/biden-trips-and-falls-during-air-force-academy-graduation-ceremony/

The oldest Pope was Pope Leo XIII, aged 93 and was still in office. The current Pope is older than Mr Biden. Anyone complaining??

Stop with the ageism, it’s totally inappropriate for a patriotic citizen. 
As my husband (a former stammerer) said this morning, seeing the stumble footage, you’ve already had a President who served his term in a wheelchair. 

joanne said:

The current Pope is older than Mr Biden. Anyone complaining??

I don't know how it is in Australia but conservative American Catholics have been howling about Pope Francis for years (although I don't think their agony has anything to do with his age).

^Precisely. NOT his age. 

Who do you imagine would be elected POTUS if the process were similar to the that of the Vatican? If, imagine, the governors of each state convened in, perhaps Washington, behind closed doors, to deliberate the election one of their own to become the Pope.

The legions of senators and congress men and women, along with the public, sat by their TV sets, awaiting the papal selection.

The voters? They would be spared the grueling, contentious, and outrageously expensive campaign process we have currently.

I wasn’t talking about the process but the age of the incumbent. From what I understand, some of your congressmen/women are even older than Mr Biden, so following the papal election process would really confound the age issue. 

mtierney said:

Who do you imagine would be elected POTUS if the process were similar to the that of the Vatican? If, imagine, the governors of each state convened in, perhaps Washington, behind closed doors, to deliberate the election one of their own to become the Pope.

The legions of senators and congress men and women, along with the public, sat by their TV sets, awaiting the papal selection.

The voters? They would be spared the grueling, contentious, and outrageously expensive campaign process we have currently.

That’s how the Electoral College functioned originally. In most states, the electors were chosen by the State Senate without any reference to the will of the people.  I think a lot of Republicans would like to go back to that system in this age when their party pretty consistently fails to win the popular vote. 

Democracy can be unpalatable to parties that don’t enjoy the support of the people. 

Personally, I think we should just have a nation wide vote and whoever gets the most votes wins. It doesn’t get any simpler than that. 

GoSlugs said:

Personally, I think we should just have a nation wide vote and whoever gets the most votes wins. It doesn’t get any simpler than that. 

No, we need an electoral college to prevent mob rule. That's why that guy who summoned a mob a while back never was president. Oh, wait...

Funny thing is that Mtierney would react rather poorly to comments to the affect that she was in severe decline and was turning into mean old lady.

PVW said:

GoSlugs said:

No, we need an electoral college to prevent mob rule. That's why that guy who summoned a mob a while back never was president. Oh, wait...

My understanding is that the effects of the electoral college can be "undone" by eliminating the winner-take-all rule (which allocates all electors to the the candidate with the most votes in a particular state).  The winner-take-all rule enforces a two party system onto our elections.  My take is that neither the winner-take-all rule nor the electoral college will ever be eliminated (so that these revisions/eliminations control the election system)*.  Because, both of our dominant political parties are unwilling and unable to compete in a more than two political party system.  Ever increasing numbers of voters registered as independents demonstrate the vulnerability of both dominant parties to third parties.

*- Best recollection is that both Maine and Nebraska have already eliminated the winner-take-all rule.  Because, these two states have a small number of electors, their elimination of the winner-take-all system has had little to no effect on the overall electoral system.

mtierney said:

Biden has a talent for making his haters look like fools.

" 'I got sandbagged,' he joked to reporters after landing back in Washington, D.C., before skipping once and walking off."

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4031096-biden-breaks-silence-on-fall-during-air-force-ceremony-i-got-sandbagged/

mtierney said:

Wake me up when the choice is Fascist or not-Fascist.  At this point, I will vote for the not-Fascist even with certain knowledge that the not-Fascist will be pushing up daisies the day after inauguration.

We have addressed the question in the same way it has always been addressed, by electing a competent Vice President, whatever mtierney may think about her gender and her “green” skin. 

GoSlugs said:

We have addressed the question in the same way it has always been addressed, by electing a competent Vice President, whatever mtierney may think about her gender and her “green” skin. 

I, for one, would not want to see Kamala Harris become President due to the death of Biden.  The thought of so many MAGAs writhing around like slugs in salt is too much for me.

What do trolls add to a discussion? Absolutely nothing! However juvenile their pursuits to derail a discussion, they embarrass themselves as losers — or perhaps a loser is more accurate. Pathetic pastime.

Returning to the issue of housing…..

https://apple.news/AvYNanAheQBa3O4hlfs3n0Q

mtierney said:

What do trolls add to a discussion? Absolutely nothing! However juvenile their pursuits to derail a discussion, they embarrass themselves as losers — or perhaps a loser is more accurate. Pathetic pastime.

There you go again, talking about yourself all the time.  This thread has one troll and you see her every morning in the mirror.

mtierney said:

Returning to the issue of housing…..

https://apple.news/AvYNanAheQBa3O4hlfs3n0Q

Do you have a link that doesn't require an app to read it?

ridski said:

that explains why she doesn’t read the crap she posts up here to troll us…she doesn’t have the app either! 
This woman is the biggest hypocrite and troll ever in the history of MOL

GoSlugs said:

mtierney said:

There you go again, talking about yourself all the time.  This thread has one troll and you see her every morning in the mirror.

But hey, if you don't believe me, why don't you post some more racist cartoons or some ageist portrayals of old people who have lost their hair and their minds?

Show us who you really are!

Jaytee said:

ridski said:

that explains why she doesn’t read the crap she posts up here to troll us…she doesn’t have the app either! 
This woman is the biggest hypocrite and troll ever in the history of MOL

I'm not saying mtierney hasn't read it, just that the link takes you to the Apple News app, and you need to sign up for a subscription (first month free) just find out what the headline is. Apparently it's an article in The Atlantic, but I can't find it on the theatlantic.com.

ridski said:

I'm not saying mtierney hasn't read it, just that the link takes you to the Apple News app, and you need to sign up for a subscription (first month free) just find out what the headline is. Apparently it's an article in The Atlantic, but I can't find it on the theatlantic.com.

I think it’s this one, and this is the theme: “In 1997, Denver paid the owners of the Park Hill Golf Course $2 million to place a conservation easement on the property, limiting how it could be used. More than 20 years later, Westside Investment Partners bought the by-then-defunct golf course for $24 million. After a contentious community-input process, lawsuits, and allegations of stolen lawn signs, the company settled on a proposal to build 2,500 homes (including a significant number of affordable, family, and senior units) as well as some commercial space. It also promised to reserve two-thirds of the 155-acre property as open space. In 2021, Denver voters approved a ballot measure giving themselves the power to decide the easement’s fate.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2023/07/local-government-power-nimby-denver/674164/

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.