Twitter is a Private Company

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

Good post, but Tesla's involved not only home solar technology, but industrial solar technology and industrial battery storage (Megapacks), as well as home battery storage (Power Wall):

https://insideevs.com/news/663527/tesla-solar-energy-storage-business-2023q1/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-tesla-continue-help-162355486.html

yes, I'm aware of Tesla's other technologies. I didn't feel I needed to list all of them to make my point, which doesn't change with that additional info.

You have to mention everything, everywhere, all at once or else your comment doesn’t count. 

nohero said:

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

Good post, but Tesla's involved not only home solar technology, but industrial solar technology and industrial battery storage (Megapacks), as well as home battery storage (Power Wall):

yes, I'm aware of Tesla's other technologies. I didn't feel I needed to list all of them to make my point, which doesn't change with that additional info.

You have to mention everything, everywhere, all at once or else your comment doesn’t count. 

the "he forgot Poland!" phenomenon.

ml1 said:

exactly. it's not Musk being stupid. It's Musk doing marketing for Twitter by setting it up in opposition to the "MSM."

He might put “truth central” out of business.

ml1 said:

nohero said:

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

the "he forgot Poland!" phenomenon.

Like I said, it was a good post, but your singling out "home" solar technology begged a (very) short addendum.

But I understand that the purpose of the clique here isn't accuracy. Demonization never is.

PVW said:

Twitter Is Now Worth Just 33% of Elon Musk’s Purchase Price, Fidelity Says (Yahoo Finance)

The latest markdown erases about $850 million from Musk’s $187 billion
fortune, according to the index. Despite Twitter’s issues, Musk’s wealth
is up more than $48 billion this year, largely due to a 63% surge in
Tesla Inc.’s share price.

I wonder how much coverage this will get in major media, or whether we'll have to rely on Twitter to find out about it:

paulsurovell said:

I wonder how much coverage this will get in major media, or whether we'll have to rely on Twitter to find out about it:

Did Kit Klarenberg reach out to any media outlets about this, or did he only give The Grayzone the information about what happened to him?

paulsurovell said:

PVW said:

Twitter Is Now Worth Just 33% of Elon Musk’s Purchase Price, Fidelity Says (Yahoo Finance)

Yes, thank you for pointing this out as well. A notable feature of the very rich is they seldom face any accountability, or if they do it's of the very mildest. Musk's destruction of Twitter has resulted in the loss of thousands of jobs and the elevation and amplification of far right conspiracies and hate, but for Musk personally there's almost no material impact. It's all a lark for him, with maybe some degree of embarrassment at worst.

paulsurovell said:

Like I said, it was a good post, but your singling out "home" solar technology begged a (very) short addendum.

But I understand that the purpose of the clique here isn't accuracy. Demonization never is.

this is why your responses are so annoying. my comment was the opposite of  "demonizing" given that I've been agreeing with you about many of the positive aspects of Tesla. 

It's just I'm not naive enough to think the company isn't first and foremost about making money. If it was about saving the planet they'd be giving away their EV, home, AND industrial patents to any competitors, as well as governments around the world.  And I don't see that taking place. 

Again, I have no problem with Musk and Tesla making lots of money. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking their company is an altruistic endeavor. 

Elon Musk has gone from chasing down "parody" accounts to giving them "blue checks" and saluting sexist, climate-change denying ones. 

paulsurovell said:

This is why your responses are so engrossing. “Demonization never is” what? It’s never the purpose of the clique?

nohero said:

It would be immoral to use the work on electric vehicles by Elon Musk's company, to give Elon Musk the man a pass on his encouragement of hate speech.  For example, taking the side of those trying to demonize allies of LGBTQ ;people . 

Elon Musk was helping to amplify the hateful attacks against GLSEN. Making excuses for it is just as bad.

GLSEN under siege as lies from right-wing extremists escalate

"Fox News and other far-right media outlets have escalated their campaign of misinformation and deceptive inflammatory statements against GLSEN, the American education organization working to end discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression."

nohero said:

Elon Musk was helping to amplify the hateful attacks against GLSEN. Making excuses for it is just as bad.

GLSEN under siege as lies from right-wing extremists escalate

"Fox News and other far-right media outlets have escalated their campaign of misinformation and deceptive inflammatory statements against GLSEN, the American education organization working to end discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression."

so of course right-wingers response to an anti-bullying organization is to bully them.

Another reminder of Elon Musk's leading role in so many of the world's priorities:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-01/musk-s-spacex-wins-pentagon-deal-for-its-starlink-in-ukraine

(will be posting commentary in "Whatabout" thread)

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

This is why your responses are so engrossing. “Demonization never is” what? It’s never the purpose of the clique?

Try again.

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

Did Kit Klarenberg reach out to any media outlets about this, or did he only give The Grayzone the information about what happened to him?

The event is part of the public record. Has any major media reported it?

nohero said:

Elon Musk has gone from chasing down "parody" accounts to giving them "blue checks" and saluting sexist, climate-change denying ones. 

This account is quite explicit about being a parody account. Not necessary to "chase it down".

PVW said:

paulsurovell said:

PVW said:

Yes, thank you for pointing this out as well. A notable feature of the very rich is they seldom face any accountability, or if they do it's of the very mildest. Musk's destruction of Twitter has resulted in the loss of thousands of jobs and the elevation and amplification of far right conspiracies and hate, but for Musk personally there's almost no material impact. It's all a lark for him, with maybe some degree of embarrassment at worst.

No that it matters, but to further contextualize Twitter's evaluation loss,

https://fortune.com/2023/05/31/elon-musk-worlds-richest-person-bernard-arnault-lvmh/

paulsurovell said:

No that it matters, but to further contextualize Twitter's evaluation loss,

https://fortune.com/2023/05/31/elon-musk-worlds-richest-person-bernard-arnault-lvmh/

Correct -- as noted, the very rich rarely face consequences, and indeed often profit, from their destructive actions. It's others who pay the price.

paulsurovell said:

Try again.

Sure. The only other grammatical option sounds like a computer-generated translation, so I was skeptical, but here goes: “Demonization never is accuracy.”

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

Try again.

Sure. The only other grammatical option sounds like a computer-generated translation, so I was skeptical, but here goes: “Demonization never is accuratec̶y̶.” PS

^why do I feel like that needed red ink?  cheese

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

This account is quite explicit about being a parody account. Not necessary to "chase it down".

You can pretend that you never were aware that Elon's screwing up of the the verification system, to monetize it, resulted in the need for policing parody accounts. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And I doubt you're unfamiliar with how lots of readers on the Twitter don't pick up on little details like seeing "(pa..." at the end of the name may mean it's not the real person.

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

What is the "public record" of these stops? Every other report of this event is based on the original report from Klarenberg. Can you identify what that "public record" is, or did you just make it up?

The law in question is the excessive reaction to Russia's attacks on individuals in Great Britain. As it is described in the article cited below, "the British Home Office has quietly gone about making it easier to detain and interrogate travelers at its borders, with little public notice."

New U.K. Border Security Law: A Frightening Response to the Skripal Poisoning - Just Security

joanne said:

^why do I feel like that needed red ink? 
cheese

Engrossing, right?

paulsurovell said:

Despite the screw-up there will likely be more:

Unless you happen to be running for president in Turkey against Erdogan.

DaveSchmidt said:

Engrossing, right?

I'd like to point out that however it's spelled, demonization is often quite accurate. Or accuracy if one prefers. 

Why are people who idolize Musk so boring?

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

What is the "public record" of these stops? Every other report of this event is based on the original report from Klarenberg. Can you identify what that "public record" is, or did you just make it up?

The law in question is the excessive reaction to Russia's attacks on individuals in Great Britain. As it is described in the article cited below, "the British Home Office has quietly gone about making it easier to detain and interrogate travelers at its borders, with little public notice."

New U.K. Border Security Law: A Frightening Response to the Skripal Poisoning - Just Security

Also in the public record. Any reporting by US major media or commentary by journalists at US major media?

https://www.nuj.org.uk/resource/nuj-expresses-concern-over-detention-of-journalist-kit-klarenberg.html

NUJ expresses concern over detention of journalist Kit Klarenberg

02 Jun 2023

Klarenberg was held by counter-terrorism police on 18 May and questioned about his work for news website The Grayzone.

The National Union of Journalists has expressed grave concern over the arrest of journalist Kit Klarenberg at Luton airport under counter-terrorism legislation. Klarenberg was detained by plain-clothes police officers and threatened with arrest if he failed to comply with requests for information.

The journalist who has reported for news site The Grayzone, was forced to hand over his electronic devices, memory cards, bank cards and accompanying passwords. DNA swabs and his fingerprints were taken whilst he was detained and questioned by officers about his journalistic work. It is reported he was asked about any links to Russian operatives and on his political affiliations.

Séamus Dooley, NUJ assistant general secretary, said:

“The detention of Kit Klarenberg and line of questioning pursued by officers is of huge concern to the NUJ. Journalists have the right to protect sources and the seizure of Kit’s personal material in this manner under counter terrorism law, leaves many questions unanswered.

"The apparent targeting of a journalist risks creating a chilling effect on others reporting on stories in the public interest and many will be aware that it follows the recent arrest of publisher Ernest M, also under counter-terrorism legislation by British police in April. Journalists will no doubt be astounded by actions of the police and rightly expect information on reasons behind Kit's detention."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.