GOP 2024 - Slavery Bad, But On The Other Hand ...

Nikki is probably one of the most sane candidate in the GOP (Which isn't saying much).  But her pro-T**** quotes will sink her in a heartbeat.  She may eventually pivot to be a replacement for Pence on Donny's ticket, we'll see how hard the orangeman goes after her,

jamie said:

her pro-T**** quotes will sink her in a heartbeat.  

With what audience?  Surely not amongst Deplorable Primary voters?

GoSlugs said:

jamie said:

her pro-T**** quotes will sink her in a heartbeat.  

With what audience?  Surely not amongst Deplorable Primary voters?

Nikki Haley's target audience appears to be anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic and definitely anti-LGBTQ. 

I also think that a lot of people will throw their names into the mix - banking that a T**** indictment may prevent him from running.

Maybe there will be a Haley/Gabbard ticket!

Trump is promising firing squads, mass hangings and guillotines if he’s president next year. All drug dealers will be publicly executed by firing squad every Friday afternoon…. Just like they do in Afghanistan. Maybe trumpenstein has lost his orange peel brains. I’m waiting to hear what derogatory name he will come up with for Nikki… probably the same one he will use for Tulsi. 
I would love to see trumpenstein wearing a turban.

I am very disappointed that Kamela Harris has basically been pushed out of sight by the white house.  I was hoping that he would mentor her and give her high profile stuff to help with a changing of the guard.  The crowning achievement of his career could have been helping someone younger take over.  Instead I'm forced to support a guy who I like, but don't think helps the Democrats long term.  

DanDietrich said:

I am very disappointed that Kamela Harris has basically been pushed out of sight by the white house.  I was hoping that he would mentor her and give her high profile stuff to help with a changing of the guard.  The crowning achievement of his career could have been helping someone younger take over.  Instead I'm forced to support a guy who I like, but don't think helps the Democrats long term.  

I’m not sure she’s been pushed out of sight as much as she’s just keeping herself out of the spotlight. She’s been doing a lot, but the press just somehow thinks she’s not passionate enough about her role. Some say she’s only passionate about not making a mistake, so she comes across as fake. 
I personally think she should lose that laughter she uses even in answering serious questions. She needs to be more aggressive. But then they will label her by another name like they did with Hillary. She’s in a tough spot, it’s not easy being “green” as Kermit used to say…since they depict her as green In cartoons. 

I think VP is a tough position. It does have the benefit of name recognition, but that is at the cost of establishing an independent political identity (as noted in this 538 article). And it's true that the office of the VP has grown in importance in the last few decades, as noted in this Washington Post article, but honestly Pence was kind of invisible, as is Harris, so I wonder if that trend is reversing somewhat.

jimmurphy said:

There is not bottom in Florida.

Doctors raise concerns over Florida possibly requiring student athletes’ menstrual info

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/doctors-raise-concerns-over-florida-233238336.html

Anecdote from way back: Old girls' track coach from the 70s I once worked with tracked periods so that runners couldn't opt out of running laps at practice by claiming monthly discomfort too often. Coach kept a chart.

I’m sure the sanctimonious is not interested in girls trying to get out of practice…

Problem: if Joe runs again, focus on VP will be greater because of potential illness or passing of POTUS. Keeping a poorly-regarded Harris will be an election liability. Dumping first woman/Af Am/Asian VP for another pol is also a problem. 

C'mon Joe, quit while you're ahead. Hey Jill, talk sense into the guy. Live out the golden years in comfort and peace.

Ron DeSantis provides another example of how the fight for the GOP presidential nomination is going to be a "race to the bottom" on many issues.  For example, education -

As DeSantis prepares to announce his campaign for the presidency, as many have speculated, he has ramped up his involvement in Florida schools. Not only is he doubling down on existing legislation, he’s also introducing new rules and regulations — and making sure the Education Department follows through. While he largely focused on K-12 in the early years of his term, this year he has launched new plans to remake higher education.

Before this year, he had already signed a bill to ban transgender athletes from women’s and girls’ public school teams and banned more than 40 percent of math textbooks that publishers submitted for review, which he said contained “woke” ideology.

He passed the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act, which he called an effort to give more parents control over what their children learn at school but critics called the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. He endorsed more than a dozen candidates for school board in 2022 and spent more than $2 million in the races, with 24 out of the 30 candidates he supported winning their races, while he won reelection by 19 points. He also passed a contentious bill that allowed more teachers to be armed at school.

This year, DeSantis isn’t slowing down. He has picked a fight with the College Board over AP African American studies and has hinted at doing away with AP courses altogether. His laws against the teaching of race, sexual orientation, and gender have led to strict book bans in various school districts. In higher education, the governor is rolling back diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives; reducing tenure protections; and moving school leaders to review core courses to make sure they’re free of “liberal indoctrination.”

As the article notes: "All of this has ramifications beyond DeSantis himself — and could end up playing a role in Republicans’ national strategy."

DanDietrich said:

Biden's record of supporting women of color hasn't always been great, has it?

GL2 said:

C'mon Joe, quit while you're ahead. Hey Jill, talk sense into the guy. Live out the golden years in comfort and peace.

This.

GL2 said:

Problem: if Joe runs again, focus on VP will be greater because of potential illness or passing of POTUS. Keeping a poorly-regarded Harris will be an election liability. Dumping first woman/Af Am/Asian VP for another pol is also a problem. 

If Joe runs again, no way does he dump Harris IMO. The main reason he would run is to keep the peace in the party and avoid an acrimonious primary - the downside of him running is that most Democrats would rather see someone else run. If Biden runs, booting Harris would cause a brouhaha so it would be worst of both worlds (non preferred candidate and intra party discord).  

Ann Coulter with her own "unique perspective" on Nikki Haley's candidacy. "Appearing on Mark Simone’s show on WOR radio Wednesday, Coulter took issue with Haley removing the Confederate flag from the state capitol in 2015 after a White supremacist shot and killed nine people at a historically Black church in Charleston."

But her candidacy did remind me that I need to immigrate to India so I can demand they start taking down parts of their history. What’s with the worshipping of the cows? They’re all starving over there and they’re worshipping cows? Do you know they have a rat temple where they worship? Rats? Hey babycakes, why don’t you go back to your own country and reconsider that history?

Ann Coulter Trashes Nikki Haley Presidential Bid: 'Ridiculous' (mediaite.com)

nohero said:

Ann Coulter Trashes Nikki Haley Presidential Bid: 'Ridiculous' (mediaite.com)

she’s forgotten Modi had a cricket stadium overflowing with people when trumpenstein went there? Indians are very conservative people. They also practice apartheid in their country. Tulsi and Nikki just didn’t happen by accident… coulter is so ignorant.

Jaytee said:

They also practice apartheid in their country. Tulsi and Nikki just didn’t happen by accident… coulter is so ignorant.

Not sure what you mean by this, but Haley's parents are Sikh immigrants, and Tulsi's father is Samoan.

nohero said:

Not sure what you mean by this, but Haley's parents are Sikh immigrants, and Tulsi's father is Samoan.

my bad, I know she’s Hindu so I assumed she’s of Indian descent.

Nikki is of Indian descent, both her parents are from India. Sikhs.

Jaytee said:

Nikki is of Indian descent, both her parents are from India. Sikhs.

That's what I said, and Sikhs are an oppressed non-Hindu minority in India.

Apart from lots of other hypocritical statements, the one that stands out for me is Nikki’s “clarification” that the SC church shooter somehow turned the Confederate battle flag into a racist symbol, rather than standing firm with her decision to drop the flag, which only happened as a result of a massacre to begin with. How do you backtrack on an action that wasn’t so bold to begin with?

Moreover, as others have pointed out, ya can’t both cite the “two sides of the tracks” (black/white) anecdote and the “brown” girl recollections and then say the country isn’t racist. 

On a pettier matter, I really like the “Meatball Ron” tag even though I’m mostly an Italian American. It may smack of anti-Italian prejudice but two things: “meatball” has been a pejorative for as long as I remember (apart from ethnicity) and it works with both his physical look and his affect.

GL2 said:

Apart from lots of other hypocritical statements, the one that stands out for me is Nikki’s “clarification” that the SC church shooter somehow turned the Confederate battle flag into a racist symbol, rather than standing firm with her decision to drop the flag, which only happened as a result of a massacre to begin with. How do you backtrack on an action that wasn’t so bold to begin with?

Moreover, as others have pointed out, ya can’t both cite the “two sides of the tracks” (black/white) anecdote and the “brown” girl recollections and then say the country isn’t racist. 

On a pettier matter, I really like the “Meatball Ron” tag even though I’m mostly an Italian American. It may smack of anti-Italian prejudice but two things: “meatball” has been a pejorative for as long as I remember (apart from ethnicity) and it works with both his physical look and his affect.

re "meatball", I'm Italian-American but I've never considered meatball as a pejorative to be particularly anti-Italian.

There’s another type of “ball” I find offensive…

Either way, I think we’re discussing the depth and maturity of the current GOP and their political strategies. I hope DJT’s working on a name for Nikki.

Speaking of depth and maturity, is there any POTUS, living or dead, who measures up to Jimmy Carter in terms of morality, selflessness, compassion, or public service? He’s a fcuking giant compared to our present crop of pols. He’s in home hospice care. Long live Jimmy Carter.

GL2 said:

I hope DJT’s working on a name for Nikki.

I bet you its got something to do with "dots". Even more so because her family is Sikh.

GL2 said:

Speaking of depth and maturity, is there any POTUS, living or dead, who measures up to Jimmy Carter in terms of morality, selflessness, compassion, or public service? He’s a fcuking giant compared to our present crop of pols. He’s in home hospice care. Long live Jimmy Carter.

yet Rush Limbaugh called him the worst president in the history of America…

GL2 said:

Definitely the toughest President in living memory. Notably, one of only four Presidents to earn a regular military commission.

Jaytee said:

GL2 said:

yet Rush Limbaugh called him the worst president in the history of America…

I mean, his vision was clouded by the elephant in the room (and A LOT of dodgy pills).

It's easy to forget what an absolutely terrible human being Rush Limbaugh was.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.