Robberies in town.

yahooyahoo said:

The theft statistics are built into our premiums already.

more of a reason our premiums are so high


Jaytee said:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/maplewood/woman-robbed-gunpoint-while-sitting-car-maplewood

There’s been a recent uptick in armed robbery, last week two teenage girls were robbed at gun point on Parker & Burr rd. A young man was robbed and hit over the head with a gun jogging in the jacoby section. I’m kind of getting concerned. Anyone else feel the same? 

My daughter & friend were held up at gunpoint (or was it knifepoint?) at the SAME  corner of  Parker & Burr -- probably 17 years ago. They were walking back from another friend's house at 2:30 AM, which they knew they weren't supposed to do.  Thankfully no one was hurt, and I doubt she'd make that mistake again.

Around the same tine we also had what was already a nearly 10-year-old Honda Civic--locked up tight--stolen out of what was then our driveway at Parker & Boyden.  Cops never found it -- but we DID get a summons letting us know it was illegally parked somehere in Newark 3 weeks later.

Anyone else here long enough to remember the "Gate" Scandal?

Those streets below Boyden to Irv. Ave were a favorite path for car thieves  to  quicķly get to another jurisdiction.  Speeding stolen cars & playing children don't mix.  Parents wanted to close streets off by putting gates up & making some streets 1-way.  Not even nòticeable now, but of course it made national news.

So this may seem like an uptick, but I doubt it is.  Subtract the lazy yo-yos leaving keys in their cars -- and leaving them running while they fetch their coffee -- & it's probably about the same.  Don't be a lazy yo-yo.  It just attracts car thieves into  the neighborhood.


Juniemoon said:

My daughter & friend were held up at gunpoint (or was it knifepoint?) at the SAME  corner of  Parker & Burr -- probably 17 years ago. They were walking back from another friend's house at 2:30 AM, which they knew they weren't supposed to do.  Thankfully no one was hurt, and I doubt she'd make that mistake again.

Around the same tine we also had what was already a nearly 10-year-old Honda Civic--locked up tight--stolen out of what was then our driveway at Parker & Boyden.  Cops never found it -- but we DID get a summons letting us know it was illegally parked somehere in Newark 3 weeks later.

Anyone else here long enough to remember the "Gate" Scandal?

Those streets below Boyden to Irv. Ave were a favorite path for car thieves  to  quicķly get to another jurisdiction.  Speeding stolen cars & playing children don't mix.  Parents wanted to close streets off by putting gates up & making some streets 1-way.  Not even nòticeable now, but of course it made national news.

So this may seem like an uptick, but I doubt it is.  Subtract the lazy yo-yos leaving keys in their cars -- and leaving them running while they fetch their coffee -- & it's probably about the same.  Don't be a lazy yo-yo.  It just attracts car thieves into  the neighborhood.

Were you in that house on the corner that the car crashed into the front yard? I remember the gates and the debates about them. Friend of mine lived at peach tree and woodside, his car was stolen. He moved shortly after, then a year later the gates were installed. People still drive crazy up and down orchard though.

Some of the auto thefts in millburn and short hills were not lazy yo-yo though. It ya gang of teenagers with guns waiting on the street waiting for the owners to come home. It seems a bit too organized for it to be a crime of opportunity. An adult drive them to the area and waits. High end vehicles. 


Jaytee said:

Were you in that house on the corner that the car crashed into the front yard? I remember the gates and the debates about them. Friend of mine lived at peach tree and woodside, his car was stolen. He moved shortly after, then a year later the gates were installed. People still drive crazy up and down orchard though.

Some of the auto thefts in millburn and short hills were not lazy yo-yo though. It ya gang of teenagers with guns waiting on the street waiting for the owners to come home. It seems a bit too organized for it to be a crime of opportunity. An adult drive them to the area and waits. High end vehicles. 

I used to live in the white farmhouse that looks out into the intersection, right at the traffic light at Parker and Boyden -- one of the few true Bungalow-style houses in town. This year is its 100th birthday! We loved it because we already had some original Arts & Crafts furniture, and filled it with more of that and some new reproductions while we liived there.  (I'm one of the few people hanging on to my "big brown furniture" rather than the IKEA white [though we added some of that, too.]) Lived there from 1989 til 2010. when we divorced.   It's almost completely hidden from the street now because the bushes and trees have gotten so tall.  Don't remember any front yard crash while we were there.  We did have our door kicked in once, and my purse was taken.  The porch was very well-lit, and the house is right at that traffic light.  I think whoever broke in was probably waiting ain a car at the light and saw our nanny go out and not double lock the door  But cops were right on it, found out where my purse was and brought it back to us. 

I loved that neighborhood.  My kids did, too.  Clinton school was the best.  And crooks knew they probably weren't gonna find their first million breaking into one of those houses.


Me? I'm older now. There are times when I walk down the hill at Parker and into Mpl. village and back up. Good exercise. 

I am now reluctant to do that. Its a shame when people are afraid to walk the sidewalk in their own town. 

Our house is on Irvington Avenue. I recall in the 80's, I was walking to the store near Ward Place. An elderly woman had just been mugged and her purse taken. A couple of guys started chasing the scumbag. More joined in. Then I joined in. He was tackled on the driveway at Ivy Hill Plaza.

Cops came and he got a free ride to somewhere.


Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Me? I'm older now. There are times when I walk down the hill at Parker and into Mpl. village and back up. Good exercise. 

I am now reluctant to do that. Its a shame when people are afraid to walk the sidewalk in their own town. 

Our house is on Irvington Avenue. I recall in the 80's, I was walking to the store near Ward Place. An elderly woman had just been mugged and her purse taken. A couple of guys started chasing the scumbag. More joined in. Then I joined in. He was tackled on the driveway at Ivy Hill Plaza.

Cops came and he got a free ride to somewhere.

I still can’t believe the crosswalk where “just me Laura” tripped and fell over on is still the same. 
My mother lived in the seniors building , it was always something at the pharmacy across the street because they were open 24/7. 


I agree that folks who dont lock up their windows or cars or who leave their personal property out in the open share at least some level of blame but let’s not ever normalize the criminal act let alone the abject pieces of garbage who perpetrate property crimes and assaults.  The criminals are to blame.  Period.


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.