Recycling Changes Effective January 1, 2023

green vs. brown would be my guess.  Really have no idea other than what I've read online.  

tpb said:

it’s really not that hard.  In Germany they even separate bottles by color (and there is no pickup):

And handily write the instructions for us in English, too.

Just kidding, this is what we did in the UK in the 70s and 80s.

ridski said:

I'm presuming they'll have 2 recycling compactors at Boyden now, right? So we can take both kinds there on a Saturday morning? Or will they be alternating that, too?

So I got an answer from the TC about this question, and apparently they'll have 2 recycling compactors and they'll be open all the time (when the facility is open), so we can go over there and dump our stuff during the off weeks.

I didn’t know - have always recycled tubes like those from wrapping paper or paper towels. I always flattened them first. But maybe they get caught on other items or machinery, or are already made from recycled material? (I’d been told gift tissue paper isn’t recyclable because most is already made from recycled.)

yahooyahoo said:

Not to be a smartass, but don't trees qualify as plant material? 

Just a guess:  Paper is made primarily from trees not other plant materials.  It is possible that the other plant materials cannot be recycled into paper products.  Thus products made from these other plant materials are not recyclable.

I'm getting a headache.

DanDietrich said:

tpb said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Yes.

ETA: Whoops, sorry. I see now it was a statement, not a question.

it’s really not that hard.  In Germany they even separate bottles by color (and there is no pickup):

unfortunately here there is no market at all for glass.  Our glass is ground up and dumped.  Not just ours, I should add, but the entire region.  There is no glass processing plant near here, and it is so heavy that transporting it is not economical.  I wish we still had deposit bottles.

Dan, I am not sure that's accurate.

Glass raw materials, especially sand, are costing out at all-time highs.  Also, I think this plant is local: 

https://www.abcarecycling.com/  and they specifically state that they prepare furnace-ready cullet (an important glass ingredient)

Will the TC be offering marriage counseling services to assist with this transition?

BarneyGumble said:

Will the TC be offering marriage counseling services to assist with this transition?

I’ve seen divorce signs all around Essex county…. $399.

While the changes and impact may seem insignificant keep in mind it was a straw that broke the mighty camels back. 

When we first moved here, everything had to be separated.  I think we would have 4 or 5 different bins.  Glass had to be separated by color and separte from plastic.  I can't recall if paper was separate from cardboard.

The recycling market has gone through a lot of changes. Not too long ago, the Township got paid for its recycling and now they have to pay to have it hauled away. 

max_weisenfeld said:

Dan, I am not sure that's accurate.

Glass raw materials, especially sand, are costing out at all-time highs.  Also, I think this plant is local: 

https://www.abcarecycling.com/  and they specifically state that they prepare furnace-ready cullet (an important glass ingredient)

I would love to be wrong about that.  Maybe that should be our next goal.

yahooyahoo said:

Steve said:

Elle_Cee said:

Thank you.  Do you think they mean paper towel and toilet paper cardboard tubes?  Or just the thick tubes that things like posters get mailed in?  I assume the latter, but it's a bit befuddling.  

Both. Apparently, these tubes and packaging are sometimes made with plant material and therefore not suitable for recycling.

Not to be a smartass, but don't trees qualify as plant material? 

That's what I thought also.  Isn't ALL paper made from plant material?

I am still confused about no egg cartons, something that seems like the poster child of being ok to recycle. And what do they mean about flattening cereal boxes. Back to that again along with boxes or am I not understanding something. 

And I too remember when we had to separate everything: white glass; green glass, brown glass, aluminum, tin, paper and boxes. All the bins lined up in a row lol that likely eventually got co-mingled or at least that was the then prevailing conspiracy theory! ;-)

wendy said:

I am still confused about no egg cartons, something that seems like the poster child of being ok to recycle.

This was my hunch, and an online search found some support for it: Cardboard can be recycled only so many times because the fibers degrade, and egg cartons tend to be a fiber’s last stop.

Into the compost they go.

wendy said:

I am still confused about no egg cartons, something that seems like the poster child of being ok to recycle. And what do they mean about flattening cereal boxes. Back to that again along with boxes or am I not understanding something. 

I have always flattened my boxes - not because I recall being told to, but in order to fit more into my recycle bins.

Jaytee said:

Joan, you’re in section 2. Your pick up day is Monday. Same as section 1. 
What they did was consolidate two sections into one day for pick up. 
Here’s the map color coded. Hope it helps.

That does not seem correct. Joan appears to be in Section 3 (I am in Section 4) and the pick up is on Tuesday. And Joan if no one has reached out to you yet, your phone depending on its age, can easily get the QR code by focusing your phone onto it. But that is a different issue and you now have the full website here.

wendy said:

And I too remember when we had to separate everything: white glass; green glass, brown glass, aluminum, tin, paper and boxes. All the bins lined up in a row lol that likely eventually got co-mingled or at least that was the then prevailing conspiracy theory! ;-)

I learned today that the egg cartons are molded, and that involves certain chemicals that contaminate the stream.

wendy said:

That does not seem correct. Joan appears to be in Section 3 (I am in Section 4) and the pick up is on Tuesday. And Joan if no one has reached out to you yet, your phone depending on its age, can easily get the QR code by focusing your phone onto it. But that is a different issue and you now have the full website here.

Sections  were changed some time ago when the town went from 12 sections to 6.  The old sections 3 and 4 are now combined in section 2.

joan_crystal said:

Sections  were changed some time ago when the town went from 12 sections to 6.  The old sections 3 and 4 are now combined in section 2.

I think you're wrong. Look at the CURRENT INFO.

Actually I think you are in Section 3. The purple boundary line seems to imply that. And the color of your section, more blue than green, seems to imply that too. If it were me I'd confirm this rather than assume you are in section 2.

Color map posted on page 1 of this thread, which is taken directly from the town website and mailing of a few days ago, shows  only six sections. Streets in each section are clearly marked. Based on that map, my mailing address is in zone 2.

Heynj said:

I didn’t know - have always recycled tubes like those from wrapping paper or paper towels. I always flattened them first. But maybe they get caught on other items or machinery, or are already made from recycled material? (I’d been told gift tissue paper isn’t recyclable because most is already made from recycled.)

Don't know about you guys, but I'm pulling all the tubes out of my TP and kitchen towels and recycling them now before the deadline.

Tubey or not tubey? That’s the collection.

DaveSchmidt said:

oh oh

DaveSchmidt said:

you’re not so boring after all….

I remember when we had one guy and a helper with his truck that had about 8 compartments on either side. Everything was separated, color coded, types of plastic, and he did the entire town by himself with one helper!!! I was impressed with the helper running behind his truck and emptying all these different containers. To me that was efficiency at its best. I also never got rid of the old insulated milk box by the back door… such peace.

Jaytee said:

Hey, speaking of recycling.

Jaytee said:

DaveSchmidt said:

I remember when we had one guy and a helper with his truck that had about 8 compartments on either side. Everything was separated, color coded, types of plastic, and he did the entire town by himself with one helper!!! I was impressed with the helper running behind his truck and emptying all these different containers. To me that was efficiency at its best. I also never got rid of the old insulated milk box by the back door… such peace.

those were the good old days of recycling.  If only we could get back to that much separation

DaveSchmidt said:

Elle_Cee said: 

Thank you.  Do you think they mean paper towel and toilet paper cardboard tubes?  Or just the thick tubes that things like posters get mailed in?  I assume the latter, but it's a bit befuddling.  

I assumed paper towel and toilet paper tubes, but now I see what you mean, in juxtaposition with a packaging item. 

Dunno.

I am no longer assuming that cardboard tubes include paper towel and toilet paper tubes and I will be including those tubes still in my recycling. That is because when I asked Google what are cardboard tubes I got this answer. I think Elle Cee was correct in wondering. 

Here is what I found:
"Cardboard tubes, or paper tubes, are cylindrical products fabricated from wood pulp which has been made into different varieties of cardboard such as fiberboard, paperboard, kraft paper and paper-adhesive composites."
And the photos show the mailing tubes. I really don't think the tubes from paper towels/TP are composed like that. In the scheme of taking up landfill throwing out a paper towel tube is not a big deal but until I am convinced otherwise it is getting recycled. grin

Wendy, you are correct.  Toilet paper and paper towel tubes are good, hard mailing tubes are not.

DanDietrich said:

Wendy, you are correct.  Toilet paper and paper towel tubes are good, hard mailing tubes are not.

Where are you getting this info?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.