Movie theater to reopen 2023 ?

Cinema Lab plans to open 15 venues across the United States in the next five years, including the Maplewood Theater .  It will offer beer, wine, coffee and gourmet snacks.

Beer & wine ?

That seems like a good way to compete with streaming.

Contrary to what many think, there is something special about seeing a film in a theater of a huge screen.

STANV said:

Contrary to what many think, there is something special about seeing a film in a theater of a huge screen.

No question about it. I love going "to the movies." 

I would like to go occasionally.  Sitting in a dark space with a large screen minimizes the pull of ADD I get watching TV, even when its something good.  

Do millennials like movie theaters?  Opening a business that appeals to boomers and gen x ers seems risky to me.  

DanDietrich said:

Do millennials like movie theaters?  Opening a business that appeals to boomers and gen x ers seems risky to me.  

They go to Superhero movies in droves, so I'd say so.

STANV said:

I like theaters with huge screens, but I'm not sure the Maplewood Theater in its current configuration qualifies in that regard.  But I'm glad to hear that it will reopen.  

I'm glad the plan is to keep the movie theater.
I was afraid it would be redeveloped into another generic apartment building.

Another vote in favor of reopening the Movie Theater in Maplewood.  It is an important destination space for the Village. 

IIRC, I think the model is supposed to be this place:

https://www.thenewparkway.com/

If it's not, it should be.

jimmurphy said:

IIRC, I think the model is supposed to be this place:

https://www.thenewparkway.com/

If it's not, it should be.

I noticed they are currently showing "Kedi", which is a movie I so wanted to like.  But it ended up being kind of boring. It's about the cats of Istanbul, and after we visited there a decade ago, I was fascinated by how people there all take care of the outdoor cats.  All the outdoor cats are as tame as house pets, but they wander the streets, and they are cared for by people in their neighborhoods.  Unfortunately the film spends a lot of time watching cats walk grin

ml1 said:

I noticed they are currently showing "Kedi", which is a movie I so wanted to like.  But it ended up being kind of boring. It's about the cats of Istanbul, and after we visited there a decade ago, I was fascinated by how people there all take care of the outdoor cats.  All the outdoor cats are as tame as house pets, but they wander the streets, and they are cared for by people in their neighborhoods.  Unfortunately the film spends a lot of time watching cats walk
grin

Doesn't the place "feel" like it would fit right in around here?

jimmurphy said:

Doesn't the place "feel" like it would fit right in around here?

It certainly does. It could be a destination if they strike the right balance between value, food quality and movie variety.

The Maplewood theatre space has got to be pretty pricey, and the investors must have paid out a lot to acquire a liquor license. So they will have to have a robust revenue stream. A quirkily decorated movie place showing second-run and eclectic movies might not cut the proverbial mustard. 

I am excited to see what happens in the space. The Upside potential there is tremendous. 

mrincredible said:

It certainly does. It could be a destination if they strike the right balance between value, food quality and movie variety.

The Maplewood theatre space has got to be pretty pricey, and the investors must have paid out a lot to acquire a liquor license. So they will have to have a robust revenue stream. A quirkily decorated movie place showing second-run and eclectic movies might not cut the proverbial mustard. 

I am excited to see what happens in the space. The Upside potential there is tremendous. 

I imagine it'll be run like the CinemaLabs in South Orange, with a combination of first run movies and stuff like the Nicolas Cage retrospective that's running this month: https://sopac.cinemalab.com/celebrates-nicolas-cage

Did they get the Verjus liquor license?

Heynj said:

Did they get the Verjus liquor license?

I thought it was the one from the Cassidy. The Verjus one is remaining at the site for a future restaurant. 

mrincredible said:

I thought it was the one from the Cassidy. The Verjus one is remaining at the site for a future restaurant. 

Doesn't Lorena's have the Cassidy license?

ETA: I think this one is mentioned in this article: https://villagegreennj.com/towns/government/maplewood-liquor-license-for-eat-in-restaurant-or-movie-theater-opens-up-for-bidding-bids-to-be-announced-april-30/#memberful_overlay

It was from a business on Springfield Ave.

ridski said:

Doesn't Lorena's have the Cassidy license?

ETA: I think this one is mentioned in this article: https://villagegreennj.com/towns/government/maplewood-liquor-license-for-eat-in-restaurant-or-movie-theater-opens-up-for-bidding-bids-to-be-announced-april-30/#memberful_overlay

It was from a business on Springfield Ave.

Thanks. There are people who are very aware of which licenses move where in town. I am not one of those people. 

I think an additional liquor license was also made available due to the increase in the population. A while ago the Township Committee had indicated they weren't going to sell the license for less than $500k. I'm not sure how much they paid for it. The building on Baker St. was also bidding for the license.

jfinnegan said:

I think an additional liquor license was also made available due to the increase in the population. A while ago the Township Committee had indicated they weren't going to sell the license for less than $500k. I'm not sure how much they paid for it. The building on Baker St. was also bidding for the license.

The initial minimum for this one was $390,000. Then it went up to $420,000. Cinemalab got it for $490,000, the new building where Toomeys was offered $460,100. https://www.tapinto.net/towns/soma/sections/food-and-drink/articles/high-bid-for-maplewood-liquor-license-received-by-township-committee

Sad --- Millburn Theater with boarded up entrance and dumpster outside.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Sad --- Millburn Theater with boarded up entrance and dumpster outside.

LOL

drummerboy said:

LOL

it’s a bummer. We saw a lot of movies there, good and bad. 

My most vivid memory of the Millburn Theatre is also the funniest. We were watching Seabiscuit in the front row. There was a scene in the pouring rain and suddenly we were feeling drops of water hitting us. It took us a few seconds to realize it was raining outside and the roof had sprung a leak right over us. 

My most memorable Millburn Theater event… maybe 1979. On the screen come an anti littering film clip with a cartoon Herbie, the litter basket.

herbie, on screen, opens his litter bin mouth, “Don’t throw your litter on the floor, throw it in me.”

with that, people in the audience stood up and began throwing candy and soda at the screen. This was the big screen, before it went multiplex. I never saw Herbie again.

My most memorable Millburn Theater event was going to see a showing of Les Mis when it first came out, and Anne Hathaway, who grew up in Millburn and starred in the movie, was in the audience, greeting people afterwards in the lobby.

Well, it looks like the whole deal has fallen apart. I doubt we’ll have a movie theater or a restaurant in that space now.

https://villagegreennj.com/business/maplewood-theater-denied-liquor-license-cinema-lab-lease-expired/

Such a shame.

Yes.  Over hyped and over promised.  

ridski said:

Well, it looks like the whole deal has fallen apart. I doubt we’ll have a movie theater or a restaurant in that space now.

https://villagegreennj.com/business/maplewood-theater-denied-liquor-license-cinema-lab-lease-expired/

Such a shame.

"Acting as the Alcoholic Beverage Control board, Maplewood officials declined to award a liquor license to an entity representing the Maplewood Theater. During testimony from the applicant, it became apparent that a plan with Cinema Lab to reopen the building as a restaurant and cinema had fallen through."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!